07-11-2013, 01:22 AM
User Info
Just wondering what Thater owners thought about the Bulb vs Fan deal.

I ask this question thinking this will primarily be used for soaps and face lathering. I also want something that will lift ten days growth and really massage the skin.

I tend to be a bit lazy when loading and lathering and don't end up with piles of lather but I only had one brush that didn't retain enough lather for the second pass and that was the "Rooney 3/1" I had. That brush, for me always had to go back to the soap before applying the second lather.

So I wonder about release since I do face lather, will that 23mm knot retain enough product for my second round since this will not be a "Gateway Brush" for me. I want true love this time around.

Also if you have a recommendation for another brand of 2-band worth considering that would be Awesome!

Thanks, Brooke

Bristle Knot: 23mm
Bristle Height: 55mm
Total Height: 100mm

4292/4 Bulb
[Image: HR_411-207-01_thater-4292-4-2-band-silvertip-bulb.jpg]

4292/4 Fan
[Image: HR_411-207-02_thater-4292-4-2-band-silve...sh-fan.jpg]

1 622
 07-11-2013, 03:01 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Bulb. The Thaters aren't overly dense plus they don't have the stiffest bristles which causes them to bloom a good bit . I got my 4125 in a bulb and can't imagine how folks use the fan in these Thaters.

13 599
 07-11-2013, 03:49 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
As a preface to my comments, you should be aware that I am a Monarchist and the proud owner of a Simpson's QE II Jubilee brush. I am also the proud owner of a bulb-shaped Thater 4292/4 brush. It is one of my favourite brushes. I like it aesthetically and in the way it performs. I lather on my face exclusively and use cream 95% of the time and I find this brush ideally suited. It whips up more than adequate lather for 3 passes and releases lather without any coaxing for each of my 3 passes. Because of its bulb-shape it hasn't bloomed as much as a fan-shaped would have, which allows me to control the lather well whilst lathering on my face. This is my only bulb-shaped brush and I find that it performs just as well, and better in some cases, than my 10 fan-shaped brushes. Also, I think the bulb-shape is far more attractive than the fan- shape.

5 758
 07-11-2013, 04:17 AM
User Info
Thank you both much, that makes my thinking crystal on this brush.

Any other recommendations besides the QEII? Smile

1 622
 07-11-2013, 05:54 AM
User Info
(07-11-2013, 04:17 AM)olblueyez Wrote: Thank you both much, that makes my thinking crystal on this brush.

Oh yeah.....

The Wiborgs. Shamelessly bulby and great brushes.

[Image: rasierpinsel-2-band-dachshaar-horn-imita...hape-2.jpg]

Or go the extra mile and order a nice Chubby 2/3 in Manchurian or Best:

[Image: sb-sim-ch3s2b.jpg]

Either TSS or Mark at Simpsons can help you to choose the knot that matches your preferences!

0 641
 07-11-2013, 06:29 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(07-11-2013, 04:17 AM)olblueyez Wrote: Thank you both much, that makes my thinking crystal on this brush.

Other brushes I enjoy as a face-latherer are the Simpson Colonel in best badger and the New Forest Tubby 2 in 2-band super badger. The Colonel is fan-shaped and the Tubby 2 is bulb-shaped, which means I must correct my earlier statement that the Thater was my only bulb-shaped brush. I find both brushes have a bit more backbone than the Thater, but the Thater is not lacking in backbone by any means. You might also consider a M&F Blonde Badger 1/2. It has plenty of backbone, but I find that it is borderline too dense for my liking and it doesn't give up lather as easily as the other 3 brushes I have mentioned; however, it's still a good brush and is in my regular rotation.

5 758
 07-11-2013, 06:30 AM
User Info
Thanks, those are brilliant. However, I like a bit more handle on my brushes and lean towards a Jar shape.

The Persian Jar and Tulip 2 or 3 float my boat in the Simpson Line.

The language on their website is a tad murky though.

I realize the lofts and heights jump around when moving from model to model but are they really equal quality in different shaped handles or do they tweak certain models (Density, Backbone, etc.) to give certain models a greater status in the line up? Reason I ask is the popularity and wording when they describe say a "Chubby" as compared to "Persian" etc. would have you thinking that might be the case?

1 622
 07-11-2013, 06:33 AM
User Info
I own or have owned most 2 bands in the market. The Thäters are amongst the best while not the most dense. When choosing a fan go for one size smaller than the bulb. That takes care of the bloom.

In softness only current Simpson 2 Band matches Thäter.

These are great brushes and a better value than a comparable Simpson brush (I do own plenty of both though).

31 1,554
 07-11-2013, 07:00 AM
User Info
And if I preferred something a bit stiffer that held its shape a bit more, would that be the greater densities in the Simpsons you mentioned?

Also, where do the Rooney Heritage 2 Band units kinda fit into whole thing?

I think I might prefer a bulb at this point since I want something to really get under a lot of growth and scrub away. I don't shave everyday and my beard grows out at an angle.

1 622
 07-11-2013, 07:03 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(07-11-2013, 06:30 AM)olblueyez Wrote: Thanks, those are brilliant. However, I like a bit more handle on my brushes and lean towards a Jar shape.

I realize the lofts and heights jump around when moving from model to model but are they really equal quality in different shaped handles or do they tweak certain models (Density, Backbone, etc.) to give certain models a greater status in the line up? Reason I ask is the popularity and wording when they describe say a "Chubby" as compared to "Persian" etc. would have you thinking that might be the case?

I have a Simpsons Tulip 2, which is a very nice brush. I prefer, however, the best badger of my Simpson Colonel over the super badger of the Tulip. The best badger has soft tips and the shafts have a springiness to them, which I enjoy. Although the Super has soft tips the shafts are not springy like those of the best; I find the shafts of the super a bit "mushy", but not floppy or wet noodlish. The handle of the Colonel at 52 mm is longer than that of the Tulip 2 at 47 mm and the same as that of a PJ 2.

As concerns, the second part of your post, there are differences in terms of density and loft, but the quality of the badger remains the same within grades. The Chubbies are the densest of the Simpson brushes and have very short lofts, regardless of the grade of badger used. Bristle loft can make quite a difference in the face-feel of a brush within badger grades.

5 758
 07-11-2013, 07:45 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
IMHO, the Thater would be too soft to accomplish the task you're asking. I have a Thater two band bulb. It gets far less use than the other two bands I have.

As for a handle with more length, it sounds like a Duke 3 in two band or a Colonel XL2 two band are a closer match to your desires.
Though many like the Tulip handle shape, I do not care for it.

AFAIK, the only place to get a new one of either would be directly from Mark at Simpson.

47 1,378
 07-11-2013, 08:20 AM
User Info
(07-11-2013, 07:03 AM)Rufus Wrote:
(07-11-2013, 06:30 AM)olblueyez Wrote: Thanks, those are brilliant. However, I like a bit more handle on my brushes and lean towards a Jar shape.

I have a Simpsons Tulip 2, which is a very nice brush. I prefer, however, the best badger of my Simpson Colonel over the super badger of the Tulip. The best badger has soft tips and the shafts have a springiness to them, which I enjoy. Although the Super has soft tips the shafts are not springy like those of the best; I find the shafts of the super a bit "mushy", but not floppy or wet noodlish. The handle of the Colonel at 52 mm is longer than that of the Tulip 2 at 47 mm and the same as that of a PJ 2.

As concerns, the second part of your post, there are differences in terms of density and loft, but the quality of the badger remains the same within grades. The Chubbies are the densest of the Simpson brushes and have very short lofts, regardless of the grade of badger used. Bristle loft can make quite a difference in the face-feel of a brush within badger grades.

Ok, so a Chubby (Short Lofts) & (More Dense) gets me pointed in the right direction and a stiffer grade of hair would be the "Best" for lifting dead skin and hair that grows out at an angle on a face lather.

Cool, I like the way this is shaping up.

I have always been attracted to 2-Band because nothing looks nicer on a brush but I want this to be "The Brush" "For Shaving" and not just another experiment. Kinda like my 2010 R41, its perfect for me and that's why I like it.

Sounds more like the LE they are working on with Simpson. And its gonna be in Tortoise too!!!

Makes sense.

Yeah, it doesn't have to be a "Persian Jar" but I have a small ruler and a handle in 45mm is gonna be a tad short.

Duke huh. Duke is nicer lookin, more symmetrical.

Kooky! Smile Me Like.

I wonder how tall the handle on that LE will be.

1 622
 07-11-2013, 08:31 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Duke 2 handle is 41 mm, the Chubby 2 handle is 44 mm.

PS, be careful when referring to "2-band", as it generally refers to a grade of super badger as does 3-band. Best badger is best badger is best badger, no bands about it.

5 758
 07-11-2013, 08:41 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
FYI. The handle on a Duke 3 has a height of 47mm.

MaxP

47 1,378
 07-11-2013, 09:06 AM
User Info
(07-11-2013, 08:41 AM)MaxP Wrote: FYI. The handle on a Duke 3 has a height of 47mm.

MaxP

I just saw that. But in doing so, found the Duke in Jade and Briar!!!!!!!!

And the last 5mm started mattering less, and less, and less,,!!!

(07-11-2013, 08:31 AM)Rufus Wrote: Duke 2 handle is 41 mm, the Chubby 2 handle is 44 mm.

PS, be careful when referring to "2-band", as it generally refers to a grade of super badger as does 3-band. Best badger is best badger is best badger, no bands about it.

That was just me saying I got started on the 2-Band and now I think the guys have me switched over to wanting a Best for a scrubbier feel. The 2-Band is Purdy, but I want something that will take the paint off the deck of and old boat!

I like Boar, but they seem to be more hit or miss. I want "Scritch" damnit!

My Rooney 3/1 Super Silvertip had tons of scritch and held its shape extremely well until "it got wet" and then it was like Vasoline and Velvet! Biggrin Jekyll & Hyde

1 622
 07-11-2013, 11:33 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
My only boar is an Omega Badger & Blade Essential Boar available from West Coast Shaving for $20 plus postage. I'd not used a boar brush before for no good reason other than the snob appeal of badger. Well silly me, this brush blew me away and is now a permanent member of my rotation. You might want to give one a try; at the price I don't think you can lose.

With respect to really scritchy badger, have you considered a Simpson's Duke 2 or 3 in Pure Badger?

5 758
 07-11-2013, 11:47 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
If you're thinking that 2-band hair won't cut it, looking at best isn't going to help you.

Check out an Eagle in Pure.

13 599
 07-11-2013, 04:03 PM
User Info
Grrrrrrr,,... Every time you guys get me closer to what I need the brush gets less attractive,,!!!?!!???

1 622
 07-11-2013, 06:13 PM
User Info
While its easy to always take into account all the big name brushes lets not discount the highly underrated WSP Stubby 2 Band! Its an incredibly well balanced brush with all the attributes your looking for.

Beautifully dense, superb backbone and wonderfully soft tips that still provide a pleasant scrub. I find it offers the same quality you would find in brushes twice the price! Its honesty that good, in my humble opinion.

64 796
 07-11-2013, 08:58 PM
User Info
(07-11-2013, 06:13 PM)Bravado13 Wrote: While its easy to always take into account all the big name brushes lets not discount the highly underrated WSP Stubby 2 Band! Its an incredibly well balanced brush with all the attributes your looking for.

Beautifully dense, superb backbone and wonderfully soft tips that still provide a pleasant scrub. I find it offers the same quality you would find in brushes twice the price! Its honesty that good, in my humble opinion.

Cool, I'm gonna check that out now.

Found this Large Rooney 1 in Pure. What do you guys think?

26/50/100
[Image: RO-BR-134-Ia.jpg]

1 622