07-11-2013, 07:10 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Had my first shave with this bad boy last night. My first impression was man, I must be doing something wrong as I was not cutting anything off my 3 day growth. I wondered if I even had the blade in right, but then determined I had a horrible angle and was not even close to shave position.

First thing I had to learn about was holding the razor. This was somewhat complicated, but I just went with what felt comfortable. The shave was incredible. I always have problems shaving around my adams apple with the DE and on my neck, but I sliced through my thick corse beard with no problems. I still am going to have to learn a good technique for shaving the left side of the face as it felt award holding the razor in my left hand and keep a good angle, but all in all it was a pleasant surprise. I woke up to a bit of razor burn on the neck, but I am sure that is from doing more passes than I should have testing it out. All in all, I'm ready to try again with this thing come soon. After last night, I'm already contemplating buying the non-folding version sooner or later.

15 970
 07-11-2013, 07:17 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Once you get the hang of it you will really enjoy it. When your blade stock gets low, go to Razor Blades and More and order the KAI Mild Blades without guard. I think you will like them.

173 23,546
 07-11-2013, 07:44 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Thanks for this info Johnny. While the Feather Pro Guards are amazing I have looked at other blades all this morning. I must say, a nick with these Pro Guards isn't that bad at all. More like a small bee sting appearance with blood.

And on top of it all, it was a breeze shaving my neck and around the adams apple. I have some hairs down there that are just plain stubborn, but this razor and blade took them off like nothing with just one swift motion. I think it's the fact that I can actually see what's happening down there and have more control than with the DE.

(07-11-2013, 07:17 AM)Johnny Wrote: Once you get the hang of it you will really enjoy it. When your blade stock gets low, go to Razor Blades and More and order the KAI Mild Blades without guard. I think you will like them.

15 970
 07-11-2013, 07:50 AM
User Info
(07-11-2013, 07:10 AM)tsimmns Wrote: All in all, I'm ready to try again with this thing come soon. After last night, I'm already contemplating buying the non-folding version sooner or later.

Congrats! I love using my A/C and now I can get a decent one-pass shave efficiently, so it actually saves me time in the morning. I have the non-folding version because I could never quite manage the scales. I also started with Kai Milds with Guards and I have to say it was a great confidence-booster. I had tried straights off-and-on over several years and I would be doing OK until I get a pretty bad gash from poor technique or inattention. The guards kept me from making those mistakes while I perfected my technique.

The only other blades I've tried are Kai Milds (without guards) and they are fantastic.

72 1,407
 07-11-2013, 07:51 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Congratulations on getting through your first shave!
Biggrin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

9 1,684
 07-11-2013, 09:19 AM
User Info
Congratulations and enjoy the razor!

75 20,883
 07-11-2013, 10:05 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Good show, tsimmns. The Feather SS is a fine razor, as are the others in the Artist Club series. I have the DX version in teak wood as well as in pearl handle. The one in the pearl handle I keep as a backup to the straight when traveling. Both are in regular rotation with my straights. These razors, like the DE razors, will produce razor burn with excess pressure and multiple strokes over the same spot. Once you get accustomed to the razor, though, it's a joy to shave with.

132 2,614
 07-11-2013, 01:50 PM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
You are off to a fine start with a super razor. Try not to get overconfident though, it will remind you who is in charge. If you add the non folder it gives your shaves yet another dimension. Enjoy your SS.

0 536
 07-11-2013, 10:35 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Very well done for a first time! Although I shave daily with a Feather razor (DX) I can't get a decent shave with those guarded blades, all others (pro, super pro, kai) work fine but not the guarded ones.

27 1,297
 07-12-2013, 05:38 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Congratulations! Smile

This inspires me to pull out my AC SS and try again ... my technique needs much practice though it seems! Confused

102 17,670
 07-12-2013, 06:59 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Ravi,

I am sure my technique needs lots of practice as well, however I have found if I watch lots of videos before the shave of others do it that it helps my shave and techniqueBiggrin

(07-12-2013, 05:38 AM)Agravic Wrote: Congratulations! Smile

This inspires me to pull out my AC SS and try again ... my technique needs much practice though it seems! Confused

15 970