05-21-2012, 03:26 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Gary, very well done. Thank you for allowing your face to subject to the testing.

1 3,507
 06-23-2012, 12:38 AM
  • jss
User Info
Brilliant..Thanks for your labor....

Best,
Julian

0 264
 07-22-2012, 01:08 PM
User Info
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to review this test data.

1 2,827
 09-07-2012, 08:31 AM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
Wow Great tests! I just took a quick look and lets say i have a lot of study to do. The kind of studyieng thats actually fun. :-D

Thank you for sharing!

0 284
 09-10-2012, 12:43 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Gary,
I haven't thanked you for this and I really wish to do so!
Thank you!!! Biggrin

I continue to refer to it frequently and I appreciate your hard work very much.

Eric

6 905
 09-10-2012, 04:28 PM
User Info
Thank you all! My goal was to provide usage as well as details into the blades as to manufacture.

1 2,827
 09-26-2012, 05:29 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Gillette Slim & Super Iridium.....smooth!

42 1,041
 09-26-2012, 07:29 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
I'm glad this thread resurfaces from time to time, it's a reminder to me how far I've come along on the DE Journey!

I was about a month or so into DE shaving when Gary posted the Challenge II results. Since I had some of the same blades in a sampler pack, I built a spreadsheet using some of Gary's data. I followed along closely & was having very similar results. I switched razors occasionally (Slim/Tech), but still found my results similar.

After reading about the Super Iridiums, I picked up a box of 50 from Gifts & Care - they were outstanding! I only rated them a 9 (out of 10), but it was by far the highest mark - I wanted to leave room just in case I found something better. I tried a few others in my sampler, but came back to the SI's every time, which are now a perfect 10 in my book!

So I agree with VTMAX - Slim & SI = smooth!

And thanks again Gary for the time & effort you spent in compiling this information!

~Frank

18 271
 10-12-2012, 08:40 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I found this and wanted to say Great Job!!!

1 819
 10-13-2012, 04:26 AM
User Info
Thanks again. I am glad this helps.

1 2,827
 10-14-2012, 05:22 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
WOW Gary, This has to be the most thorough test out there. You let your face be a laboratory for the rest of us. That in it's self is awesome...I know not all faces/beards are the same but your work is definitely a great reference to consult when beginning DE shaving. I'm going to bookmark your page and when ever I'm asked about blades I will forward it... God Bless Brother....

5 1,151
 11-09-2012, 03:09 PM
User Info
(10-14-2012, 05:22 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: WOW Gary, This has to be the most thorough test out there. You let your face be a laboratory for the rest of us. That in it's self is awesome...I know not all faces/beards are the same but your work is definitely a great reference to consult when beginning DE shaving. I'm going to bookmark your page and when ever I'm asked about blades I will forward it... God Bless Brother....

Thanks! I am glad it is of use, not only to provide a listing of blades and testing with a set of constants, but to allow users, new and old alike, a pattern of how to record their shaves so that they can have a better understanding to improve their shaves.

1 2,827
 11-09-2012, 08:19 PM
User Info
Gary,
I wanted to post on your challenge several times in the past but for some reason, just never got around to it.

When I first got into wet shaving I had no idea what to try for blades and was reading everyones opinions as to which to choose and, as you know, the choices are endless

It was then that I came across you DE Blade Challenge and it all started for me...
I wanted to test the very best-of-the-best blades.

Any blade that scored high in your test was on my hit list.

I chronicled each blade in both of my razors and took notes after each shave.

I even purchased the holy grail of blades..the Personna 74's
although I am saving them for just the right time.

It was your tests that led me to what now is my blade of choice: Super Iridiums...I just love 'em!

I just wanted to say Thank You for all that you do for the Shaving community.
Between your razor tests & your synthetic brush articles I have gained so much knowledge on both matters.

Hoping your carpal tunnels issues are behind you so we can get back to reading more of your fine work.

5 337
 11-10-2012, 07:07 AM
User Info
I'm very interested in the methodology. I'm no statistician, but it seems to me that having multiple testers' aggregate results would tend to remove some of the YMMV phenomenon. In my view, that is what makes this unique. It's not just one guy's subjective opinion -- however well intentioned that one buy may be.

Am I on the right track?

16 351
 11-10-2012, 07:16 PM
User Info
(11-09-2012, 08:19 PM)JCturboT Wrote: Gary,
I wanted to post on your challenge several times in the past but for some reason, just never got around to it.

When I first got into wet shaving I had no idea what to try for blades and was reading everyones opinions as to which to choose and, as you know, the choices are endless

It was then that I came across you DE Blade Challenge and it all started for me...
I wanted to test the very best-of-the-best blades.

Any blade that scored high in your test was on my hit list.

I chronicled each blade in both of my razors and took notes after each shave.

I even purchased the holy grail of blades..the Personna 74's
although I am saving them for just the right time.

It was your tests that led me to what now is my blade of choice: Super Iridiums...I just love 'em!

I just wanted to say Thank You for all that you do for the Shaving community.
Between your razor tests & your synthetic brush articles I have gained so much knowledge on both matters.

Hoping your carpal tunnels issues are behind you so we can get back to reading more of your fine work.

Thank you. That gives me a good feeling knowing that this allows others to be able to gain in knowledge and by doing so, continuing to explore what traditional shaving has to offer.

(11-10-2012, 07:07 AM)slackskin Wrote: I'm very interested in the methodology. I'm no statistician, but it seems to me that having multiple testers' aggregate results would tend to remove some of the YMMV phenomenon. In my view, that is what makes this unique. It's not just one guy's subjective opinion -- however well intentioned that one buy may be.

Am I on the right track?

You are on the right track, however in order to get that to work, everyone must agree to the exact same equipment, lather methods, and blade sequence to get sufficient uniformity. That will be a truly difficult task because it takes a long time to perform this type of testing. This took 7 1/2 months in two stints. Most people do not want to stay tied down that long to a rigid testing regimen. It gets old quickly, very quickly. A lot of people would love to see this with a large group of users, but with over 48 blades, I would guess that very few people would want to participate with such restrictions on their shaves for so long and include daily head shaving as well.

Actually, some of the folks here performed a double blind test which can be seen here.

http://shavenook.com/thread-any-interest...light=test

http://shavenook.com/thread-blind-blade-test-results

In addition to my own methods and results, I also wanted to provide information on the source of production for each blade and the relative price and availability at the time of testing. Another area that I was bringing out of this is that it is clearly better to record with as much fidelity as possible each shave when trying out blades so later on down the road, you don't have to rely on memory which is the biggest YMMV of all.

Oh, and BTW, thanks to all of you for taking this over 2000 views. I hope it has been of service to the audience.

1 2,827
 12-08-2012, 07:25 PM
User Info
I just came across this now, I'm very impressed with your study on all these blades. It was very detailed.

1 93
 12-09-2012, 07:30 AM
User Info
Gary, thanks for doing this test and for the awesome information! I am a big fan of SuperMax titaniums and wondered how the Platinums were, I will definately give them a try after seeing your test results. Thanks again.
Cheers

0 143
 12-21-2012, 08:25 AM
User Info
Outstanding review!

0 295
 12-23-2012, 07:03 PM
User Info
Well, this has gone over 2,500 views on this site alone.

Thanks to all who have read it.

1 2,827
 12-28-2012, 10:45 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I just stumbled upon this myself right now. Fascinating read and what a great resource. Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to do this Gary! Your reviews are always a pleasure to read! I hope you feel better now after your surgeries.

14 871