07-11-2013, 04:28 PM
User Info
What makes a brush floppy?
is it because its not packed dense enough or would it be the hair type silvertip vs best badger or would it be because the loft is excessive

4 101
 07-11-2013, 05:03 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I would say that low density and high loft are the main characteristics of a floppy brush. I'm not sure how much of an effect hair type will have tbh and would be interested to hear others thoughts on this.

32 638
 07-11-2013, 05:06 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Many things can factor into a floppy brush, hair, loft and density all play a integral role and it can vary wildly. I've seen high lofted brushes with very robust hair have plenty of backbone and lower lofts that flop around like a wet noodle..and of course vice versa.

31 1,510
 07-11-2013, 05:42 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Lack of density and high loft definitely impact on making a brush exhibit less backbone, but the major influence is the grade of hair itself.

Looking at one manufacturer's offerings, in this example, Simpson:

Least backbone from most:

3 band Super, Best, Pure, 2 band Super, Manchurian

This is roughly the order of rigidity of the individual hairs. Then knot specification will impact on the overall feel. For example the density of a Chubby as opposed to a Duke will generally ensure a greater feeling of backbone across the same grade of hair, but necessarily across different grades.

91 17,611
 07-12-2013, 09:31 PM
User Info
Ben's answer is the most detailed and accurate.

Amongst the same hair grade, the density and loft affect the splay. But when comparing different grades, different hair has different inherent backbone characteristics.

Amongst M. Meles hair, the backbone is fairly consistent across the spectrum. 2 band badger hair varies a lot.

9 2,987