07-12-2013, 04:22 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Your patience with another newbie is appreciated. I am finishing my first puck of shave soap, VDH Deluxe. I am very satisfied with it but would like to try something else next. I am not looking at the high end, "I just won the lottery", soaps. Some contenders I am looking at are: Proraso White or one of the artisan soaps like Kell's, or Ogallala?

Suggestions appreciated..........

Bob

4 2,373
 07-12-2013, 04:29 AM
User Info
Some suggestions:

1. Arko, Arko,Arko
  2. TFS limited edition Pelli Sensibli
  3. Mike's Natural Soaps - Lavender & Eucalyptus
  4. Pannacrema
  5. Mama Bear Oakmoss & Lavender
  6. Haslinger Ewe's Milk
  7. Calani - Oriental Plum

0 641
 07-12-2013, 04:38 AM
User Info
There are a lot of choices and my current favorite is http://www.barristerandmann.com/, but just like you I started out with VDH Delux and when I decided to venture out I chose 4 different shaving sticks as an economical way to experience several different quality shave soaps. I chose Arko, Palmolive, Speick, and La Toja and purchase all at one vendor which allowed me to pay the same shipping cost as if I order just one tub of soap. Good luck with your search.

0 123
 07-12-2013, 04:51 AM
User Info
Mitchell's Wool Fat it's a must have. Biggrin

As for soap sticks, I'd recommend Valobra Stick and La Toja.

0 124
 07-12-2013, 05:07 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Thanks y'all. I appreciate the input.

Keep 'em coming!

Bob

4 2,373
 07-12-2013, 05:47 AM
User Info
Besides the ones mentioned, RazoRock's artisan and King of the Castle lines are inexpensive but great performers.

10 2,062
 07-12-2013, 05:51 AM
User Info
Of the ones you listed, I would choose Proraso white. Other, bang-for-the-buck soaps I have enjoyed:

1. Arko
2. Palmolive soap stick
3. Mitchell's Wool Fat
4. Mike's Natural Soaps
5. La Toja soap stick

B&M mentioned above and Stirling Soaps are some that have caught my interest to try next (and I prefer fewer ingredients and essential oils instead of fragrance). Speick soap stick is well-regarded, and I'm going to give it a try soon.

Wish you the best. Try not to change too many variables at once and give each soap a chance. Let us know what you end up with.

47 1,270
 07-12-2013, 05:53 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
There are many options as others have pointed out.

Out of my favorites, I would suggest Mike's Natural Soaps for the following reasons :
- price
- quality of lather
- ease of use
- variety of scents
- availability

Good luck! Smile

102 17,661
 07-12-2013, 07:03 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
(07-12-2013, 04:22 AM)Coyote Wrote: Your patience with another newbie is appreciated. I am finishing my first puck of shave soap, VDH Deluxe. I am very satisfied with it but would like to try something else next. I am not looking at the high end, "I just won the lottery", soaps. Some contenders I am looking at are: Proraso White or one of the artisan soaps like Kell's, or Ogallala?

Suggestions appreciated..........

Bob

Wow, you used the whole puck without venturing into something else? If so you sir should be commended for that.

My suggestions would be as follows

Arko - very easy to use and lather for a soap
Mike's - if you find you can lather this stuff there aren't many soaps that can be it
Cella along with any other soft crop soap
Creams - if you find problems lather harder soaps try some different creams

15 970
 07-12-2013, 07:11 AM
User Info
Mitchell's or Harris.

15 762
 07-12-2013, 07:33 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Three words, Mitchell's Wool Fat.

[Image: BYpLLCF.jpg]

173 23,486
 07-12-2013, 09:28 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
(07-12-2013, 07:33 AM)Johnny Wrote: Three words, Mitchell's Wool Fat.

[Image: BYpLLCF.jpg]

The Fat is definitely on my short list of soaps to try. Probably will be in the next order that I place from Phil.

15 970
 07-12-2013, 12:13 PM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
OK y'all. Italian Barber had both of these on sale, so they are my next victims: RazoRock Fresco, Proraso White Tub.

Thanks again..........I have a few more picked out for later. I can see that y'all are going to be a bad influence.

Bob

4 2,373
 07-12-2013, 12:45 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Good luck, Bob!

It's difficult to narrow down to one or two choices ... before you know it you will have at least a dozen soaps/creams or more! Biggrin

102 17,661
 07-12-2013, 12:48 PM
User Info
(07-12-2013, 12:13 PM)Coyote Wrote: OK y'all. Italian Barber had both of these on sale, so they are my next victims: RazoRock Fresco, Proraso White Tub.

Thanks again..........I have a few more picked out for later. I can see that y'all are going to be a bad influence.

Bob

Great picks, Bob.

47 1,270
 07-12-2013, 01:06 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, I still say if you live in Devine, TX you need a devine soap, Mitchell's Wool Fat.Smile

173 23,486
 07-12-2013, 01:17 PM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
It is on top of the "next" list Johnny!

4 2,373
 07-12-2013, 06:06 PM
User Info
Bob, good luck with your soaps, but as a few gents have said, there are so many great soaps and you just need to experiment and try them. i only use artisan ones and i would recommend these:
* Mike's Natural Soaps
* Mystic Water Soap
* Jabonman
These are just my preferred ones, but there are many, many out there for you to try! Good luck.Biggrin

75 20,883
 07-12-2013, 06:55 PM
User Info
"High End" doesn't have to equal expensive.

Rather than go low end "Arko" or mid range "Proraso" I would recommend a good soap since the soaps are more economical.

The Wool Fat suggestion above is a good one.

The thing with soap is "Use your own bowl, mug, or container and just buy a refill. Or get one with a bowl if you like, that is is what they are for.

Here are my favorites just now. I haven't tried the Wool Fat but it has a stellar reputation.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/miwofatshsor.html

Any D.R. Harris Soap - Arlington is most popular.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/dhashsobandr.html

Taylor of Old Bond Street - Lavender and Sandalwood are super nice smelling. Jermyn Street also smells extremely nice.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/taofoldbosts18.html

Pre de Provence soap comes with a nice tin for storage and its a large cake of soap making it rather economical. It has a fresh green herbal soapy scent.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/predeprshsoi.html

You should know that Phil @ the Bullgoose likes to send out samples with his orders and this is important because it allows you to try the products before you buy them. This prevents buying blind in some cases and also introduces you to products you would not have considered but will end up liking.

Have Fun! Smile

1 622
 07-13-2013, 05:25 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Quote:"High End" doesn't have to equal expensive.

I totally agree. I have found that is very true with cigars too.

Thanks again all for the great suggestions. I realize many of you answer this question over, and over, and over.............

I run a hunting message board and know how tiresome and sometimes frustrating it can be.

It is appreciatied!

Bob

4 2,373