07-12-2013, 07:18 AM
User Info
I think I have finally found the holy grail of lathering. I watched some videos yesterday of different people making lathers and one really struck my attention as the guy was not doing any lathering motion like I have been. Instead of put the brush at the bottom and just shook it back and forth and bam instead lather was produced. Honestly, I might have saw this done before, but every other lather video it seems the person just takes the brush and makes a circle around the edges of the bowl. In my opinion this is why I have never been able to get a great or even suitable lather using a bowl. While I didn't shave last night I showered soaked the brush and was anxious to try this technique using some Mike's Bay Rum and my SOC boar brush. Below was my results with my new found technique of whipping up lather. I must say I couldn't of been happier and might of just solved all my lathering problems that have lingered on for so long.

[Image: CSE7HeQ.jpg]

And another

[Image: zkOnq27.jpg]

16 1,008
 07-12-2013, 07:23 AM
User Info
Glad you were able to get it to work for you. Do you have the link to the original video?

10 2,062
 07-12-2013, 07:25 AM
User Info
I'll see what I can find. I will say this. The more I thought about it, running my brush around the inside of the bowl in a circular motion makes no sense at all to me. Can't believe it has taken me this long to figure it out.

16 1,008
 07-12-2013, 07:27 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Wonderful! Yes, please share the video if you have the link.

I too have found that 'painting' motions as opposed to 'circular' motions seem to 'agitate' the lather more productively, once a brush has been loaded with soap. Smile

102 18,668
 07-12-2013, 07:34 AM
User Info

Warning: The music in this video clip may be found annoying to some and is loud at the beginning few seconds.

16 1,008
 07-12-2013, 08:14 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My old hands won't move that fast.Biggrin

The one thing he is doing that I totally disagree with is letting the complete brush soak in hot water. I would never let the knot of the brush soak in water, just about 1/2 way up will do, in warm water only.

179 23,923
 07-12-2013, 08:20 AM
User Info
Thanks for sharing the video! As one who bowl lathers exclusively I'm really excited to try this out when I get home from work.

Warning, the music is really loud (especially if using head phones).

15 222
 07-12-2013, 08:53 AM
  • gmug
User Info
Thanks for posting this brother! In still trying to learn a good way to lather, my forearm gets a great workout!

0 21
 07-12-2013, 09:18 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(07-12-2013, 08:14 AM)Johnny Wrote: The one thing he is doing that I totally disagree with is letting the complete brush soak in hot water. I would never let the knot of the brush soak in water, just about 1/2 way up will do, in warm water only.

Interesting. I often let my brush soak completely immersed in a sink of hot water while I shower. I can't see that there's been any negative effects from doing so.

60 1,625
 07-12-2013, 09:26 AM
User Info
(07-12-2013, 09:18 AM)MaxP Wrote:
(07-12-2013, 08:14 AM)Johnny Wrote: The one thing he is doing that I totally disagree with is letting the complete brush soak in hot water. I would never let the knot of the brush soak in water, just about 1/2 way up will do, in warm water only.

Interesting. I often let my brush soak completely immersed in a sink of hot water while I shower. I can't see that there's been any negative effects from doing so.

Well, I think the point of not letting the whole brush soak in boiling hot water is two things: 1. it might eventually cause your knot to become lose or dislodge all together and 2. it might crack/ruin/chip or mess up the handle, even if it is protected and coated. I have heard arguments against it and then saw others post it's just fine. As for me, I'm like Johnny and I never let the whole brush soak if I can help it.

Even with all that being said I had a VDH deluxe kit that came with the badger brush. Just like weekend after a soak the knot came out. While these aren't the best quality brushes it still ticked me off.

16 1,008
 07-12-2013, 08:35 PM
User Info
Too, it's completely pointless to soak a synthetic brush.

32 6,470
 07-13-2013, 02:33 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
That's some fine looking lather you ended up with. Throw those pics up in the Lather Shots thread!

13 599
 07-13-2013, 04:36 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Just to be clear, I soak my brush in "Hot" water, not "boiling hot" water.

There's no way I'd subject one of my brushes to boing water...unless I was trying to loosen the knot!

MaxP

60 1,625
 07-13-2013, 04:38 AM
User Info
It's about finding enough friction. There is a reason that the nicer lathering bowls & scuttles have ridges on the inside. Lathering in a completely smooth bowl just makes it even more difficult to get your lathering skills honed.

Can't wait to see more lather shots!

31 8,058
 07-13-2013, 06:57 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Looking at all this nice lather made me go dig my old Lather King out of storage. It belonged to my uncle who was a barber and when he retired he gave it to me. I used it everyday for many years. Since I have not used it in over 10-years, maybe I should see if it still works.

[Image: yCQV14f.jpg]

179 23,923
 07-14-2013, 04:34 PM
User Info
Johnny that is a nice looking piece of equipment there. I have always wondered about those and barbers using them. Do they just load them with shaving cream or what? Could you stick a block of Cella in there and have a good outcome or are there only certain things that can be put in there? Either way, seems like a great way to alleviate the process of lather building I would assume.

(07-13-2013, 06:57 AM)Johnny Wrote: Looking at all this nice lather made me go dig my old Lather King out of storage. It belonged to my uncle who was a barber and when he retired he gave it to me. I used it everyday for many years. Since I have not used it in over 10-years, maybe I should see if it still works.

[Image: yCQV14f.jpg]

16 1,008
 07-14-2013, 10:53 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It takes a special liquid cream that you premix with water then you pour the solution in the machine. If you mix it right the warm lather is about the consistency of canned foam. There are only two companies that I know of that make the soap for these machines. Campbell's and Gabel's.

[Image: T9jFkBT.jpg] [Image: WWDaemu.jpg]

179 23,923