04-14-2012, 09:22 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I notice quite a difference in the ingredients lists of the newest additions to the Razorock Artisan soap line: 888 and King Louis Lavender.

For instance, 888:
Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Wax, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Oil, Prunus Amygdalus (Sweet Almond) Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Oil, Lanolin, Sodium Carbonate, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Titanium Dioxide, Propolis Extract, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Lecithin, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Citric Acid, Limonene, Citral, Hexyl Cinnamal.

As opposed to the ingredients in Boston Tea Party:
IngredientsConfusedtearic Acid, Tallow, Water, Cocos Nucifera, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance (Green Tea), Potassium Carbonate.

So what's the skinny? I keep hearing how fantastic these soaps are, but what sort of difference to people notice in the performance of these soaps with quite different ingredients?

43 1,690
 04-14-2012, 10:04 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have tried the second one (Tea Boston Party) and performed excellent.Now Im reading the ingredients of the 1st one and I wanna try it too.

86 7,123
 04-14-2012, 10:19 PM
User Info
Supposedly the 888 (and one other, I think the King Louis Lavender) are more 'creamy', while the rest of the line are more traditional croaps (Cella, etc.)

12 1,243
 04-14-2012, 11:47 PM
User Info
Andrew,

I believe Joe at IB is constantly trying to bring shavers the best of ingredients while also giving them the choice of what they may prefer.

Currently, there are 3 types of soaps with respect to ingredients:

1) The first line that was introduced are the "Black Dish" soaps. These include Classic, XXX, Cacao and Fresco. These soaps are vegetable glycerine based. XXX is my favorite of these.

2) Second are the Artisan Soaps. There are 8 different scents available and 7 have tallow as their main ingredient EXCEPT Muguet de France, which is vegetable based. I currently have the Mughetto di Bologna (Lily of the Valley) and it's probably my favorite of all.

3) Most recently, Joe introduced King Louis Lavender and 888 Eucalyptus soaps. These have Shea Butter and Lanolin as part of their ingredients. I use the King Louis and love it.

In the next few weeks, Joe will release the La Famiglia line which I understand will put them all to shame and use an ingredients list that no soap maker or manufacturer has used to date.

Hope that helps.Eyepop

9 1,199
 04-15-2012, 10:38 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I have XXX and Caprician Lemon (artisan). They are both wonderful soaps and make great lather. They don't feel exactly the same, but I'd say they are very close in quality.

10 1,858
 04-16-2012, 05:38 AM
User Info
The La Famiglia line that RazoRock will soon be releasing, is this the much talked about Shave Soap/Cream that will be very similar to Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba which is quite expensive?

0 123
 04-16-2012, 05:47 AM
User Info
I have tried several of the RazoRock soaps and have been very impressed with the performance of all. I currently have in use his Razorock Special Edition Lmtd soap, the Muguet de France, and Boston Tea Party. I have the Mughetto di Bologna and the 888 Eucalyptus soap in route, and look forward to tyring them out. All of Razorock's soaps are excellent performers.

33 120
 04-16-2012, 06:24 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(04-15-2012, 10:38 AM)Songwind Wrote: I have XXX and Caprician Lemon (artisan). They are both wonderful soaps and make great lather. They don't feel exactly the same, but I'd say they are very close in quality.

If I'm not mistaken, Caprician Lemon contains tallow while XXX does not. The XXX formula is quite similar to Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbieri.

(04-16-2012, 05:38 AM)mctmatt Wrote: The La Famiglia line that RazoRock will soon be releasing, is this the much talked about Shave Soap/Cream that will be very similar to Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba which is quite expensive?

From what I've read, the La Famigia line is distinct from the Santa Maria-like cream Razorock is working on (which I think is being called S.Maria).

43 1,690
 04-16-2012, 07:07 AM
User Info
I was really excited to try the RazoRock Artisan Line. I purchased the Third Eye and built a marvelous lather quite quickly. I had a smooth gliding shave and moments after, I realized I was allergic because of the burning sensations I had. I mean, it was really bad and I couldn't shave for a few days because my skin was so irritated. Surely, I was disappointed. I know others have experienced the same reaction so I'm hoping at some point the ingredient that triggers this for some will be removed.

9 333
 04-16-2012, 07:16 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(04-16-2012, 07:07 AM)Chicagotrim Wrote: I was really excited to try the RazoRock Artisan Line. I purchased the Third Eye and built a marvelous lather quite quickly. I had a smooth gliding shave and moments after, I realized I was allergic because of the burning sensations I had. I mean, it was really bad and I couldn't shave for a few days because my skin was so irritated. Surely, I was disappointed. I know others have experienced the same reaction so I'm hoping at some point the ingredient that triggers this for some will be removed.

Have you used other sandalwood soaps successfully? I know sandalwood EOs can frequently cause reactions in people.

Most of the reactions to RR I have heard about have been to the XXX scent in the black-tub line.

10 1,858
 04-16-2012, 07:19 AM
User Info
(04-16-2012, 07:16 AM)Songwind Wrote:
(04-16-2012, 07:07 AM)Chicagotrim Wrote: I was really excited to try the RazoRock Artisan Line. I purchased the Third Eye and built a marvelous lather quite quickly. I had a smooth gliding shave and moments after, I realized I was allergic because of the burning sensations I had. I mean, it was really bad and I couldn't shave for a few days because my skin was so irritated. Surely, I was disappointed. I know others have experienced the same reaction so I'm hoping at some point the ingredient that triggers this for some will be removed.

Have you used other sandalwood soaps successfully? I know sandalwood EOs can frequently cause reactions in people.

Most of the reactions to RR I have heard about have been to the XXX scent in the black-tub line.

I have tried AOS soap and cream and have had no issues there. looking to get my hands on QCS and CF at some point.
FWIW, Third Eye does not represent a traditional Sandalwood in my humble opinion.

9 333
 04-16-2012, 07:22 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Have you tried any of the other scents? Or how about Louis Lavender or 888? These have different formulations.

43 1,690
 04-16-2012, 07:29 AM
User Info
Andrew- I have not. Third Eye was my first and unfortunately the experience turned me off of the brand. I'm sure I will give it another shot at some point.

9 333
 04-16-2012, 07:39 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
This is great information on a line that I hadn't taken the time to fully understand. I have Third Eye and No. 888 Eucalyptus and they're both nice performers but I give the edge to 888.

(04-14-2012, 10:19 PM)insomniac Wrote: Supposedly the 888 (and one other, I think the King Louis Lavender) are more 'creamy', while the rest of the line are more traditional croaps (Cella, etc.)

It's definitely more creamy than the Artisan line.

(04-14-2012, 11:47 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: In the next few weeks, Joe will release the La Famiglia line which I understand will put them all to shame and use an ingredients list that no soap maker or manufacturer has used to date.

Looking forward to that!

(04-16-2012, 07:07 AM)Chicagotrim Wrote: I realized I was allergic because of the burning sensations I had.

I also experienced some irritation.

35 2,703
 04-16-2012, 07:44 AM
User Info
Chicago,

In all likelihood the scent oil (synthetic FO) used in the Third Eye is what bothered your face, not the basic soap ingredients.

RR Classic, which is re-branded Fitness Soft Soap from Italy, sets my face on fire. However, RR Fresco and the Muguet de France don't bother me at all.

Again, it is probably the specific scent components w/r/t that particular "flavor".

0 189
 04-20-2012, 05:10 AM
User Info
Here's my article on the Artisan line, minus the newer softer King Louis etc.

Sorry for the missing pictures, Cox decided to kill everyone's webhosting.

0 652
 04-20-2012, 05:09 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I've used all three of the currently available lines.

My favorite is the Artisan line, I like it so much that I've used up a tub of Third Eye and MdB. I rank the Artisan soaps in my top 5 shaving soaps.

I found the 888 line to be good as well. I found it to be slicker then the Artisan line for the first pass. I don't think it's as slick as the Artisan line for blade buffing. If you don't do much, or any blade buffing that isn't a big deal. The 888 line also has lanolin in it. This is a good soap but it isn't a top 5 soap for me, probably top 10.

I've used the regular line, specifically XXX a couple of times, enough to know that it's a good soap but not enough to know if it's a top five soap for me.

To be perfectly honest I could use the Artisan line pretty much exclusively and be a happy shaver.

I'm interested in the S. Maria line that is coming out and the new la familia line (I'm not sure of the spelling of either of the new lines).

7 1,018
 04-20-2012, 05:12 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-20-2012, 05:10 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: Here's my article on the Artisan line, minus the newer softer King Louis etc.

Are you still having those pics?It would be interesting to have them alongside the article,so if you can put them here,would be great and really appreciate it.

86 7,123
 04-21-2012, 02:00 AM
User Info
(04-20-2012, 05:12 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(04-20-2012, 05:10 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: Here's my article on the Artisan line, minus the newer softer King Louis etc.

Are you still having those pics?It would be interesting to have them alongside the article,so if you can put them here,would be great and really appreciate it.

I believe so, they're on one of my HD's, I'll go digging around.

0 652
 04-21-2012, 03:44 AM
User Info
Teiste, the images are back in the article, cheers!

0 652