07-13-2013, 05:50 PM
User Info
OK, it's best to start off by being upfront. Today I did EVERYTHING wrong. I am getting ready for a trip starting tomorrow (NC looking for homes and better jobs) and so as to make things fast, I decided to wait with shaving until tonight so that I don't need to shave in the morning since it's 14ish hours to my destination (less with speeding).

So I was rushed. I also picked a blade which god knows why I have kept as I hate them with a passion (Derby). They tug at my hairs and always a rough shave. I was in a hurry. It is late (8:30pm). I had a few cocktails at dinner and they are the first I have had in a bit so for once I am feeling it. I used a Joris (which is my preferred razor ..... but not so much with a Derby. Normally the pair eat up my face nicely. I forgot to shake my brush after letting it soak. You name it, I did it wrong tonight. It's like it was my first shave ever.

This afternoon the doorbell rang and I was thrilled to see the Mail Carrier with my JabonMan soaps. I got two scents ... Lavender (one of the no-Lanolin formula) and Lavender / Cedar wood / Bergamot (high lanolin formula).

The last mistake made tonight was grabbing the non-lanolin version. I say that because of all the prior mistakes, some lanolin would have been welcome.

So with all that in mind ...... Here are my initial thoughts on JabonMan

Wonderful scent. The Lavender is NOT of the floral variety which I do not like, but of the earthy variety. The scent is wonderful. After loading up (once again I forgot to shake off the excess water) the brush I got a wonderful copious amount of lather. Slick as I had hoped for. Excessively wet lather kept dripping from the brush due to the excess water at the core of the brush but what was getting on my face was wonderful.

The craptastic Derby blade did its best to ruin my shave, but JabonMan kept everything nicely in check. Unlike some of my recent artisan acquisitions (I'm looking at you Tabula Rasa) the scent is still noticeable when the lather is on my face. JabonMan is slick stuff and I say this not yet having used the lanolin version. Wonderful copious amounts of lather. It's everything I was hoping it would be. I should have nicks all over my face tonight, that is how awful my choices were, and yet no nicks and barely any sting at all from Floid Blue.

I can't wait to get back to try the lanolin version.

Final thoughts ...... BUY THIS SOAP. NOW. gogogogogogogogogogogo

129 6,685
 07-13-2013, 06:08 PM
User Info
So, do I understand correctly that you are going to have a nightcap before your morning shaves now? Wink

Glad you had a great shave, Doug. Safe travels.

47 1,270
 07-13-2013, 06:28 PM
User Info
(07-13-2013, 06:08 PM)kentclark Wrote: So, do I understand correctly that you are going to have a nightcap before your morning shaves now? Wink

I do believe you have hit upon the central theme of the story.

129 6,685
 07-13-2013, 06:36 PM
User Info
Jabonman are the best soaps availible IMHO, my favorite is Violetas (violets), it is a MUST try.

10 605
 07-13-2013, 06:50 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I agree ... JabonMan is a superb soap overall! Biggrin

Good luck, Doug! Smile

102 17,661
 07-13-2013, 07:08 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
(07-13-2013, 05:50 PM)wingdo Wrote: I got two scents ... Lavender (one of the no-Lanolin formula) and Lavender / Cedar wood / Bergamot (high lanolin formula).

Great soaps indeed. Enjoy.

Do you mean lavender-cypress-bergamot? I've not heard of the one you speak of. Huh

10 1,120
 07-13-2013, 08:34 PM
User Info
Congrats, Doug, on finding a remarkable soap!
It is quite wonderful.

75 20,883
 07-13-2013, 08:57 PM
User Info
Yep, they are that good. Now you need other scents Biggrin

31 4,957
 07-13-2013, 09:39 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I really enjoy the Tierra Humeda and Vetiver Tangerine, which is odd as even though I love vetiver cologne, (Encre Noir is my favorite) I typically do not care for it in my shaving soaps and both of those scents are strong on vetiver.
I need to try more scents, the only other I have tried was Brisa de Oriente, which I did not care for at all, there was just something cloying and off about it.

31 1,510
 07-14-2013, 10:00 AM
User Info
Best of luck with the home/job search in NC; my wife and I are considering a vacation there to scout it out as well.

I am glad to read your review of the Jabonman soaps; they are something that I really want to try, but the reviews are inconsistent and that makes them a higher risk.

The last list I saw published re: inventory listed violet, which is my favorite scented cream from Trumpers (alas, their soaps arent worth the effort). I hope to give the Jabonman a whirl in the near future.

8 240
 07-14-2013, 09:06 PM
User Info
(07-13-2013, 07:08 PM)MickToley Wrote:
(07-13-2013, 05:50 PM)wingdo Wrote: I got two scents ... Lavender (one of the no-Lanolin formula) and Lavender / Cedar wood / Bergamot (high lanolin formula).

Great soaps indeed. Enjoy.

Do you mean lavender-cypress-bergamot? I've not heard of the one you speak of. Huh

Yes that would be it. The label is in spanish and I made a bad assumption on cedar instead of cyprus.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

(07-14-2013, 10:00 AM)Tim_McD Wrote: Best of luck with the home/job search in NC; my wife and I are considering a vacation there to scout it out as well.

I am glad to read your review of the Jabonman soaps; they are something that I really want to try, but the reviews are inconsistent and that makes them a higher risk.

The last list I saw published re: inventory listed violet, which is my favorite scented cream from Trumpers (alas, their soaps arent worth the effort). I hope to give the Jabonman a whirl in the near future.

I cannot wait to try the lanolin soap when I get back next week. The non lanolin version was very nice, and even with shipping it is very reasonably priced. I will give a better review of both when I get back. There are a couple scents I want to try once I get rid of some other soaps. Tierra Humeda is tops on that list. I am hoping the scent is nice and earthy like mudder focker of I Coloniali.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

129 6,685