07-14-2013, 11:32 AM
User Info
Hi lads,Geordie Sam here,could you please tell me what plays the most important part in getting the ultimate shave,? is it the actual razor itself,? (that is what I think, imho) or do some think it's the blade that's in that razor.?
One of the reasons I'm asking this is because I use a fairly cheap brush (Wilkinson sword classic, about £7 or about $10) I have NEVER used an expensive brush,how big a role does the brush play in the shave,also I have just bought a jar of Tabac shave soap (awaiting delivery) again I have NEVER used real quality soap before,just the tinned gel.
I look forward to any views on this,thanks in advance.
Sam.

0 79
 07-14-2013, 11:42 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Sam, I believe all items play a contributory role in terms of achieving 'a nice shave' ... but if I had to pick the most crucial variable, I would say blade.

There is incremental improvement in terms of objective shave quality with pricier razors, brushes, soaps, etc. but here, IMHO, the 'law of diminishing yields' applies. I'll be the first to admit though, I'm guilty of spending $$$ in order to improve the perceived quality of my shave experience! Biggrin

102 17,670
 07-14-2013, 11:45 AM
User Info
I think the lather is the most important, but cannot be viewed exclusively. With a crappy lather, no matter how good everything else is, the shave will suffer.

18 568
 07-14-2013, 11:48 AM
User Info
YMMV, but as far as I'm concerned the most important part of getting the ultimate shave is the mindset you go in with. Mind you, I don't consider getting a BBS a necessity for getting an Ultimate Shave - to me the Ultimate Shave is a shave that feels great, make me feel great and put a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

I gotten shaves like that with my pot-metal Yuma razor, with whatever blade was on top of the stack, Arko shave stick and my cheap Turkish "horse-hair" brush... but I've also gotten it with every other razor, brush and soap/croap/cream I own.

3 3,580
 07-14-2013, 11:55 AM
User Info
(07-14-2013, 11:45 AM)PanChango Wrote: I think the lather is the most important, but cannot be viewed exclusively. With a crappy lather, no matter how good everything else is, the shave will suffer.
Dale,come to think about it,I think YOUR right, a poor lather from the get-go is the first rung on a slippery slope.
I like it.
Sam.

0 79
 07-14-2013, 01:20 PM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
I think all items play an equal part while shaving. No matter how good your razor and blade are, if the lather is not good, your face will suffer. Now, it does not mean you need an expensive brush to create good lather. Your Wilkinson will generate adequate lather if used with a good soap/cream like the Tabac you've just purchased. It just won't feel as soft and luxurious as a badger, but that may not be a concern to you right now.
A blade can definitely ruin things for you and so can the razor. But again, these items do not have to be high end to perform well. It is a matter of experimenting and seeing what works best for you. The razor is a one time investment, and the blades are so cheap, you don't have to worry about. There is also a blade pack (mix of several blades) that you can buy and it will allow you experiment different blades and see what works for you.

10 486
 07-14-2013, 01:36 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I believe the most important part of any shave is the preparation. It's your time, pamper yourself. When the skin and whiskers are ready most any razor will give you a good shave.

Saying that, I believe the blade is more important than the razor you have it in.

173 23,546
 07-14-2013, 03:04 PM
User Info
Razor, Blade, & Prep in that order.

Razor: If you have the wrong razor than none of it matters.

Blade: Contrary to popular belief a nice sharp blade (Iridium/Feather) eliminates some handicaps. This does become more or less important depending on your beard.

Prep: Preparing is important but I'd rather shave with nothing but cold water using the proper equipment than go with the wrong gear and the best prep in the world.

I used a 49 Aristocrat Junior instead of my 2010 R41 for the first time in about 2 years. The vintage razor, although beautiful and an amazing shaving tool for the right person, destroyed my face and caused me to make 5 passes instead of my usual 2.

Why? Because its not aggressive enough for my beard and my routine. The safety bar also presents limitations for me because my beard grows out at an angle and the bar causes to blade to pass over some of the hair without cutting.

If I had a light beard that grows straight out and I shaved everyday, the 49 AJ would be fantastic.

Nothing in my routine would be able to over come what the 49 AJ lacks and provide what the 2010 R41 affords.

1 622
 07-14-2013, 03:10 PM
User Info
Stubble. Without it there wouldn't be shaving. BAM!

31 7,914
 07-14-2013, 03:38 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(07-14-2013, 03:10 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Stubble. Without it there wouldn't be shaving. BAM!

Aaaaa nice one, Brian ... Aaaaa

102 17,670
 07-14-2013, 03:52 PM
User Info
Good topic Sam.

For me good prep trumps all.

With an effective lather, one with glide and cushion, a mediocre blade or razor can still provide a pretty good shave.

3 452
 07-14-2013, 04:53 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Prep is paramount, but pointless without decent tools to proceed and employed with perfected technique.

Ascertaining what works well for you is what will ensure good shaves. Lather, blade and razor are almost all equal components to a good shave. For example, a great blade in a razor that presents the edge to your face in a manner that doesn't suit you will not provide the best results and a poor lather will not provide the cushion or comfort regardless of choice of razor or blade.

Cost is not important. A cheap brush or inexpensive razor, can produce as good a shave as more expensive ones. So in conclusion, I believe finding the right combination of all components for the individual user is what is most important, from there it's taking the time to do it all properly...

91 17,853
 07-14-2013, 05:50 PM
User Info
But of course the shaver is the most important! Wink

In my mind:

1) Lather (which is my way of combining the quality of the lather and the soap/cream together, although the former is most important)
2) Post-shave care
3) Blade
4) Razor
5) Brush

47 1,270
 07-14-2013, 06:05 PM
User Info
RAZOR,,!!!

1 622
 07-15-2013, 08:55 AM
User Info
Have to say its the soap. With out a good slide and cushion you have... Well, just a shave.

5 410
 07-15-2013, 04:16 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
All Good Points.

I will list these

Mindset
Preparation
Blade (I have to have a decent Blade.)
Lather (Cause you can use a gel instead.)
Razor (I have some Krappy Razors)
Technique

Shaving Brush
A Great Soap or Cream

1 819
 07-15-2013, 04:33 PM
User Info
Without a doubt; blade, then razor. Lather is a close 3rd. There was a time when I just used plain soap.

2 546
 07-15-2013, 05:29 PM
User Info
Ok, so you hand "any razor" to a Mach 3 user and as long as he had the correct blade than he is good to go?

1 622
 07-15-2013, 05:50 PM
User Info
No Brooke, he needs a str8. That's how I learned.

Hi buddyBiggrin

2 546
 07-15-2013, 06:10 PM
User Info
Hey Poncho!

Str8 with a nice pointy tip right?

1 622