04-15-2012, 05:03 AM
User Info
The 2 band craz has bit me some, but I have to say I'm not sure it's for me? I'm gonna continue looking for "that" brush. I have a SOC 2 band that I ordered almost 3 weeks ago and it should be here soon I hope so I can't say that one is not my cup of tea yet, maybe it will be perfect. But, so far I have had the Stubby 2 which was very soft with not flow though. I have the Urn now and it has great flow through but it has not softened up yet. To be fair I will continue to use it in rotation a little while longer to see if it gets softer on the tips. Is it wrong to want my cake and eat it too? Backbone, soft tips, and flow through?

I have not tried the Simpsons 2 band or the M&F. has anyone tried them all? If so, which one would be best based on my wants?

5 413
 04-15-2012, 05:12 AM
User Info
My SOC 2-band is on the way.

I've heard that Simpsons 2-band can vary a bit in characteristics, but the Tulip 3 I have is superb. Some users on the boards claim that most or all of the hair in newer stock Simpsons 2-band brushes feels this way...I have no real way to back up or refute that.

My Rooney 2XL has the 2-band Heritage hair which I don't find as "gel soft" as some describe this hair to be. It is very soft, but has an odd feeling to it...still a great brush to be sure but sounds like it isn't what you want anyway.

Haven't tried M&F yet but would probably go for 3 band hair if I did order a brush.

The only other 2-band I've tried is a New Forest. The hair is great...very very similar to what's in the Simpson Tulip 3 I have.

I have no plans to try any other 2-bands except maybe Thater 2-band...Shavemac D01 is out due to all the reports of it being quite scritchy...

0 189
 04-15-2012, 05:20 AM
User Info
(04-15-2012, 05:12 AM)cvac Wrote: I've heard that Simpsons 2-band can vary a bit in characteristics, but the Tulip 3 I have is superb. Some users on the boards claim that most or all of the hair in newer stock Simpsons 2-band brushes feels this way...I have no real way to back up or refute that.

When you say feels this way... What way are you saying? That it varies? Can you describe theb2 band Simpsons?

5 413
 04-15-2012, 05:45 AM
User Info
The 2 band Simpsons are probably one of my personal favorite 2 band knots. I own 5 of them and they ALL have VERY soft tips and provide a very pleasant scrub with NO scritch or prickliness.

Ultimately, the only differences I notice between all my Simpson 2 bands is that there degree of scrubbiness will depend on loft size and those with a shorter loft will feel just a tad scrubby but still very pleasant and more massage like.

I can not speak on how they compare to the M&F since I have yet to try one but I do own many others like the Heritage XL and I prefer the Simpsons over the XL, if that tells you anything. The softest 2 band I own is the Thater but the Simpson is very close behind it.

64 796
 04-15-2012, 06:49 AM
User Info
(04-15-2012, 05:20 AM)Krisbarger Wrote: When you say feels this way... What way are you saying? That it varies? Can you describe theb2 band Simpsons?

I mean great backbone but very very soft tips. Since there is always variation with anything Simpsons you *might* end up with a prickly one that isn't so soft on the tips. The same goes for any other Simpsons hair grade or any other aspect of Simpsons brushes. There could be variation, even among the same model of brush from the same lot.

I'm not saying they're bad...they do make *great* brushes...but they aren't as strong on consistency as some other brands...I suppose this is why one vendor (Superior Shave) went so far as to individually photograph and measure each sample of stock they have on hand so you can pick the exact brush you want to buy.

0 189
 04-15-2012, 10:23 AM
User Info
(04-15-2012, 06:49 AM)cvac Wrote:
(04-15-2012, 05:20 AM)Krisbarger Wrote: When you say feels this way... What way are you saying? That it varies? Can you describe theb2 band Simpsons?

I mean great backbone but very very soft tips. Since there is always variation with anything Simpsons you *might* end up with a prickly one that isn't so soft on the tips. The same goes for any other Simpsons hair grade or any other aspect of Simpsons brushes. There could be variation, even among the same model of brush from the same lot.

I'm not saying they're bad...they do make *great* brushes...but they aren't as strong on consistency as some other brands...I suppose this is why one vendor (Superior Shave) went so far as to individually photograph and measure each sample of stock they have on hand so you can pick the exact brush you want to buy.

Simpson, as a company, have been making brushes for nearly 100 years with hand formed knots all the way through its history.
When you handform a knot you don't use calipers to measure each one you have made. The process involves weighing the hair to gauge what is needed for each brush design. The rest of the forming process is down to experience and eye - the two main tenets of a handformed knot.
With the amount of machine formed knots being used on modern day brushes, by many manufacturers, the expectation of the end user is that of 'to the millimetre' consistency.
I have seen first hand the knots being formed by Mark's team and the process is as it has always been - something that means a lot to me as someone who has been taught by the real master brushmakers of the Simpson family.
If Simpson had fallen into the hands of the Chinese instead of being saved by the Watterson family, who have many years in traditional brush making, then yes you would probably be seeing Simpson 'clones' being sold across the globe - all with a 'consistency' expected of machine made brushes. I for one (although slightly biased! Wink) am very pleased that the handmade quirks of a Simpson brush are still evident today. It wouldn't be a Simpson brush any other way.

Gary

0 213
 04-15-2012, 10:41 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
(04-15-2012, 05:03 AM)Krisbarger Wrote: I have the Urn now and it has great flow through but it has not softened up yet. To be fair I will continue to use it in rotation a little while longer to see if it gets softer on the tips.

I wouldn't hold out on the badger brushes softening up over time. Unlike boar, you're not going to get much break in. In my experience with all my badgers, if there is a break in its so negligible that I cannot tell.

0 353
 04-15-2012, 10:45 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have tried a lot of 2 band badger brushes : Simpson,Morris & Forndran,shavemac,Vie Long,New Forest,chinese ones (FS and Li Jun),The Golden Nib knots (6 of them)...
I find quality in most of them and,for the price,the Semogue SOC two band cant be beaten.
The New Forest 2201 was a superb brush but I haven't found the same "like" in other New Forest two band badger hair brushes that I tried after the 2201.
shavemac makes a fine D01 two band badger brush,and as Vie Long,needs a long period to fully break in,but when the tips are soft,excellent brush.The Vie Long has a better flow,though.
Morris and Forndran and Simpson make the best two band badger brushes out there for my taste,and I like the M&F a little bit more,but just a little.
And the Chinese brushes?Well,one could be good,another could be terrible...

86 7,123
 04-15-2012, 11:47 AM
User Info
I am not buying anything else until my SOC comes in. Whenever that is??

After it comes in though whatch out!! Smile

5 413
 04-15-2012, 07:54 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(04-15-2012, 10:41 AM)Brent Wrote: I wouldn't hold out on the badger brushes softening up over time. Unlike boar, you're not going to get much break in. In my experience with all my badgers, if there is a break in its so negligible that I cannot tell.

I disagree. I have experienced additional softening on several brushes. A Rooney 3/1, an M&F and on a Simpson 57 2 band.
While the softening isn't nearly as dramatic or swift as a boar, in my opinion it happens on badgers. And it's noticeable.

47 1,378
 04-15-2012, 08:01 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-15-2012, 07:54 PM)MaxP Wrote:
(04-15-2012, 10:41 AM)Brent Wrote: I wouldn't hold out on the badger brushes softening up over time. Unlike boar, you're not going to get much break in. In my experience with all my badgers, if there is a break in its so negligible that I cannot tell.

I disagree. I have experienced additional softening on several brushes. A Rooney 3/1, an M&F and on a Simpson 57 2 band.
While the softening isn't nearly as dramatic or swift as a boar, in my opinion it happens on badgers. And it's noticeable.
Yes,I have experienced the same,with shavemac,Vie Long,Simpson and a couple more of two band badger hair brushes,but never with silvertip ones,or at least,It wasnt just noticeably.

86 7,123
 04-16-2012, 02:42 PM
User Info
I got the SOC 2-band cherry in today. I gave it a couple of test lathers and will give her a spin tomorrow. I will say I like the looks. However, first impressions seem that she will be pretty scritchy. She felt that way on my hand. She did destroy the mike natural soap I have in a bowl! Smile Im gonna put her to the Arlington in just a sec and drive out some more of that funk.

Here it is before the first lather
[Image: b9784ed3.jpg]

Here it is after the test lather
[Image: c8c5f792.jpg]

I'll post some lather pics later Smile

This is AOS Sandalwood lathered on my hand...
[Image: 2087bedd.jpg]

5 413
 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM
User Info
Wow, Kris that looks great. I certainly hope that I'll have a SOC boar in cherry by this weekend. I hear that Semogue's 2-band is quite good and it's on my radar as well so I hope to hear your thoughts on it after you give it some use.

31 7,914
 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Kris-

Its a fine looking brush.

Please post your experience when it actually gets to your face.
Winky

47 1,378
 04-16-2012, 05:02 PM
User Info
My SOC 2-band should be here later this week. My SOC boar should follow shortly after. I hope the 2-band isn't too scritchy for me.

0 189
 04-16-2012, 05:58 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Gentlemen :

this brush need some break in period to get its tips soften,so dont rush to shave with it (ok easy to say,hard to do) and just do some softening cicles more,like you have done today wtih the Mikes soap.I usually do those cicles (like 6 or per day) using a hand soap and palmlathering.

86 7,123
 04-16-2012, 09:48 PM
User Info
The brush looks great, Kris. i hope you enjoy it.

75 20,883
 04-17-2012, 04:49 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I agree. I have the SOC in both Badger and Boar and they both need some break in. Of course, the boar needs even more.
Both of them bloom and the badger seemed to develop more "stray" hairs than any other 2 or 3 band badger that I have even though I'm very gentle with it. Not a bad thing and it doesn't cause a problem in any way but it was just a bit disconcerting when it started happening.

Excellent brushes and very comparable to higher priced alternatives.

(04-16-2012, 05:58 PM)Teiste Wrote: Gentlemen :

this brush need some break in period to get its tips soften,so dont rush to shave with it (ok easy to say,hard to do) and just do some softening cicles more,like you have done today wtih the Mikes soap.I usually do those cicles (like 6 or per day) using a hand soap and palmlathering.

6 905
 04-17-2012, 08:15 AM
User Info
all 3 of my Semogues have "stray" hairs, both silvertip badger and boar. I think it may have to do with the way the metal ring around the bottom compresses the knot. I've noticed that my ultra-stuffed Rooney 2XL does the same thing, btw.

0 189