07-14-2013, 04:59 PM
User Info
Hi all, back at home after a lovely two part vacation. First a few days at a mini-family reunion in northern Vermont followed by car camping in central Vermont with the lovely Mrs. redrako. As we've been car camping for decades now and backpacked and bicycle camped before that we're used to packing light with maximum flexibility. But this year, I expanded my kit with two brushes and two different shave sticks.

Here's why we camp here:

[Image: GYeJGI4.jpg]
A view of Mount Mansfield from the east.

Here's my camp shave kit 2013 edition:

[Image: nRGTF9d.jpg]

Cadet OC short, pewter handle (a marvelous razor)

It may be hard to see, but the blades are Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum in an empty Derby plastic container (blue box, now discontinued)and Personna IP's UK packaging. As I'm conserving my discontinued blades, I mostly shaved with the Personna blades.

I alternated between Arko and La Toja shave sticks each day as well as a Butterscotch Frank Shave 24mm finest and a TGN finest in a Wine Rudy Vey handle.

I'm not telling you anything that you don't know about these two fine soaps. I was shaving in a small wash basin in both locations so space is at a premium and shave sticks are the way to go. But there's something about Vermont mountain well water and shave lather - simply phenomenal.

The Personna blades in the Cadet OC razor is one of those magical combinations that makes for vacation magic!

I didn't bring any Aftershave splash, but instead finished off with a cold water splash. I leave it to your imagination as words can't describe how cold mountain well water is, even on hot summer days.

Interestingly Vermont has had quite a rainy early summer and there were sporadic heavy thunderstorms in the evening (thank goodness for good equipment). Even though we mostly had good weather, it was mostly very humid and I found that my badger brushes never completely dried out, even though they each were used every other day.

In a later post, I'll share my vacation shave haul.

3 452
 07-14-2013, 05:10 PM
User Info
What a great thread with beautiful pictures! As a person who also loves the outdoors, I can really relate to your offerings.

Frank

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

2 229
 07-14-2013, 05:46 PM
User Info
Only fitting you had magical shaves with such a trip, Robert. Thanks for sharing!

47 1,270
 07-14-2013, 07:53 PM
User Info
Robert, great photos! i am surprised you don't take a synthetic brush with you when you are camping. They dry in 1-3 hours depending on the temperature.

75 20,883
 07-15-2013, 09:22 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Robert

A couple of very nice photos and a fine shave kit for life out on the open the road Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 07-15-2013, 11:15 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Very nice! We will be doing some back country "car" camping on the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route next month. I'm still undecided on what to take. I don't want to take any of my nice gear because it will probably be exposed to extreme temperatures, dust and unfavorable storage conditions. But I also want to be able to enjoy a shave or two as I can't stand being scruffy. Fortunately I have plenty of time to make up my mind.

125 2,375
 07-15-2013, 12:21 PM
User Info
(07-14-2013, 07:53 PM)celestino Wrote: Robert, great photos! i am surprised you don't take a synthetic brush with you when you are camping. They dry in 1-3 hours depending on the temperature.

All of the favorable posts about synthetic brushes haven't been lost on me. I've been hitting my AD's very well this past year and need to stand down a little bit.Biggrin I've traveled in some pretty warm weather but never had brushes not dry before.

I have had my eyes on Muhle Silvertip Fibre brushes especially since the version 2 has come out. Perhaps I need to pick up a Star Shaving Frank Shave brush?

When I travel I'm in the habit of packing my budget shave supplies. Although I enjoy all the products in my travel kit, I would feel a lot less bad about leaving a Cadet razor or Frank shave brush behind than my Weber razor or Shavemac brush. A $12 Frank synthetic would fit the bill.

(07-15-2013, 11:15 AM)blzrfn Wrote: Very nice! We will be doing some back country "car" camping on the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route next month. I'm still undecided on what to take. I don't want to take any of my nice gear because it will probably be exposed to extreme temperatures, dust and unfavorable storage conditions. But I also want to be able to enjoy a shave or two as I can't stand being scruffy. Fortunately I have plenty of time to make up my mind.

I understand. I shaved every day I was on vacation! Sometimes it was later in the day but it was 10 days of long, relaxed shave.

Arko and La Toja shave sticks are a regular part of my rotation, but I rarely use the Frank Shave finest brush, preferring the TGN brush for the gym. Yet the Frank brush is actually pretty dense and softens up nicely when soaked.

Even though my shave was all budget, it was, as every year a wonderful shave experience.

Have a good time in Oregon.

3 452
 07-15-2013, 12:55 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Hmmm, Robert, you got my wheels turning. I have a Frank's shaving brush that just might fit the bill, I just need to find a container to fit it in.

125 2,375
 07-15-2013, 01:04 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Dave, take your brush to the drug store and ask them for a prescription bottle large enough to hold the brush. Bring it home and drill five or six holes in the cap. They work great for travel.

Robert, great pictures. Sounds like a lot of fun. Camping to my wife is a hotel without room service.Biggrin

You do live in a beautiful part of our great country.

173 23,488
 07-15-2013, 02:15 PM
User Info
I like this thread... no need to forego a great shave!

32 6,308
 07-15-2013, 05:53 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Here is a little off-topic question, what soap/cream would be ideal for camping when (drinking) water will be limited to what we are carrying. We should have ten gallons to start, but I don't want to use up a bunch for shaving and rinsing. I think I have settled on my mixed mighty midget for a brush (with a prescription bottle I found, thanks Johnny) and I'm sure I can find room for a safety razor and blades. The soap/cream and aftershave are now causing serious thought.

125 2,375