07-15-2013, 01:50 AM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Howdy Everyone!

Recently I sold off most of my humble razor collection to raise money to invest in my new life of running.

I am proud to say that those sales have paid off! Smile

Since selling, I have been able to buy proper running clothes and shoes. No more double lined basketball shorts and crummy trainers for me. Smile I have also been able to purchase a Suunto Quest running watch, complete with the heart rate monitor strap, GPS tracking pod, and a foot pod cadence sensor...this should be arriving this week! Biggrin

I really enjoy going out an hitting the pavement. My sister, who is an assistant 10km training coach, has been training me and slowly making me run longer. We are up to 5:1 intervals, meaning 5 min running followed by 1 min walking. The goal is to get to 10:1 intervals, then train for distance. Our usual loop is only 3.5km...

Your probably wondering what the deal is about the history, etc... Well, I am proud to say that on Saturday night something happened. I went out with the idea of doing my usual rout and doing 5:1 intervals. Only, when I hit the 4 min mark I decided to shut the sound off to my training app and decided to see how far I could go without walking. I quickly ended up forgetting all about the time and just enjoyed the run. 4 minutes turned into 12...then 22...and so on. By the time I decided to head home, I had been out about 35 minutes, and had no walking breaks. When I got home I had clocked about 43 min and 6km (3.7 miles I think) without a break. Pretty good considering I couldn't do 2km at 2:1 intervals 2 months ago!

Needless to say I am really excited! Biggrin

I currently have 2 goals. The first is to compete in a few triathlons next summer, then year after that I want to be ready for a half Ironman. (I have a cousin who competes in Ironman races who wants to train with me when I'm ready) So you can see that running is just the start.

Anyway, I just wanted to share because it is something I am very excited about, and it was funded via shaving. Oh! And here's a picture of my new runners...they are broken in and absolutely wonderful! They are the Mizuno Wave Rider 15's (limited edition...and the perfect color for a Canadian Wink )

Cheers!

[Image: e9yta8a9.jpg]

1 608
 07-15-2013, 06:11 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Luke, congratulations on setting your goals and going after them. Wish I could still run but the old legs won't take it any more. I do try and walk everyday though.

Good luck

173 23,488
 07-15-2013, 07:39 AM
User Info
Good luck on the triathlon training! I'll be interested to hear your progress updates if you don't mind. I'm training to run next year's Boston Marathon and the Boston half-marathon this October. And I ran a half this past January. If you're like me, you'll probably feel like you're making no progress and then when you look back, you'll see how far you've come. Good luck!

72 1,407
 07-15-2013, 08:49 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Hey, Luke, congratulations. Just train well and be careful. We're all rooting for you.

I hope you didn't sell all of your shaving gear and are now back to multi-blades and canned goo. Sad

Gotta love those ruby red shoes. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 07-15-2013, 10:01 AM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Thank you guys! Don't worry Freddy, I am being a little over-cautious. I strained an ankle pretty bad on my Canada Day race (I think it was the massive hill climb at the end) So since then I have only gone out for a few small runs and calling it quits when things start to flare. Though my Mezamashii Run on Saturday (that's what I'm calling it, as I believe it falls under that category by Mizuno), I went that far because I just felt great! Biggrin

As for updates, I actually have a running blog that I resurrected yesterday, that I will be using for my updates, achievements, reviews, etc. I believe it is ok to post the link (if not just let me know)..anyway, here it is: http://2cool-shoes.blogspot.ca

Feel free to follow me! Smile Like I said, it will have everything in it.

1 608
 07-15-2013, 10:05 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Luke, I wish you all the very best in your "new" adventures and I hope you enjoy every minute of it Thumbup

23 1,872
 07-16-2013, 07:44 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Luke, great goals and congrats for achieving them.

1 3,507
 07-20-2013, 09:33 AM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
A quick update. Last night I hammered out a 10 km run. I was fine until the last kilometer, then I was feeling a little parched and tired...but I did it! I also registered for the 10 km run at my city's marathon next month. Smile

You can see my stats here: http://www.movescount.com/moves/move16094194

Though it wasn't very hard running. I need to adjust my heart rate zones. I'd say it was hard, then very hard. Also, I was doing 6:1 run/walk intervals.

1 608