07-15-2013, 08:29 AM
User Info
Hi lads,Geordie Sam here,2 British soldiers died over the weekend and 1 is in hospital* after a training exercise for selection into the British SAS. (special air service)
They were out on the Welsh mountains on the hottest day of the year (over 90f) and carrying 120 POUNDS OF EQUIPMENT and they were RAN INTO THE GROUND.These MEN are of the HIGHEST CALIBRE you could ever wish to meet.
If I was being held hostage by ANYONE,ANYWHERE, and was told the British SAS were coming to get me out of there, I would be over the moon.
They cannot be praised too highly.
Thanks for everything.

Sam.
ps. To join the SAS you first have to be in the Armed Forces,you can't just walk in off the streets and join them,they normally recruit from the Parachute Regiment.

*As an update on the soldier who was hospitalised,he has since sadly died,that makes 3 men who have lost their lives while trying to do the right thing in life.
I think far too much is asked of these men,the information given out by the British government is always scant when it involves the SAS,but suffice to say that part of the training on that day involved a 45 mile TREK carrying 120 pounds of equipment over the Welsh mountains in 90 degree heat.This is just TOO MUCH.I honestly can't find the words to praise these lads enough.
Sam.

0 79
 07-15-2013, 08:44 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It takes a special breed to be in that kind of service. Sorry for your countries loss.

173 23,508
 07-15-2013, 08:52 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
 07-15-2013, 09:07 AM
User Info
Thank you, Johnny and Freddy for that,they are a truly GREAT BUNCH of MEN.
Sam.

0 79
 07-15-2013, 09:44 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Unfortunately training exercises on this level have cost several lives, everything they let you do must come from deep inside yourself without someone pushing you. You fail a exercise you're out. And sometimes guys push themselves beyond .....

27 1,294
 07-15-2013, 03:06 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Sound like the "fox and hound" pursuit where the trooper has to stay ahead of the pursuing patrol. The low crawl through the sheep gut pit is what turns my stomach. To be selected for SAS is an honor. HE WHO SARES WINS!

2 334
 07-15-2013, 03:58 PM
User Info
One only has to wonder what will happen now that women will be trying to join these ranks in my country. Facepalm

My condolences Sam.

2 546
 07-15-2013, 07:53 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(07-15-2013, 03:58 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: One only has to wonder what will happen now that women will be trying to join these ranks in my country. Facepalm

We had 2 recruitments of woman in the special forces back in the 70's. Some of them where really good an though but it was more of a promotion stunt for the military as all of them made it through the selection and became full members while only very few made it amongst the men.

Accidents started happening because some men didn't have there mind on the job with woman around, all of the women ended up doing work on the base. But I've seen some that would kick most guys butt, don't underestimate all woman ;-)

27 1,294
 07-16-2013, 06:11 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I am very sorry to hear of their loss. All the Special Forces Operators are a very special breed.

4 2,377
 07-18-2013, 02:43 PM
User Info
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of the SAS soldiers, I love all things military especially special forces from all over the world. England has some of the best... SAS, Royal Marines, Special Recon, and the Paras.

0 143