07-15-2013, 10:07 AM
User Info
Hi All

I just registered but i have been lurking on here (plus a coouple other forums) for a few weeks. I presume like most people i got into the DE shaving because i was fed up with the cost of cartridge shaving as well as not ever being truly happy with the results. Ive been using Gillette Fusion for years (and most recently the battery powered pro glide!!!).

Well anyway i read an article about wetshaving online and it got me interested so i started to read a lot more and also watched some videos by Mantic59 and GeoFatBoy.

Well before i knew it i had bought a Merkur 34C HD, Badger Brush, Proraso Red Cream, a nice stand and a blade sampler pack.

So i have been shaving for over 20 years (all with catridge systems) I used to laugh at my dad who always prefered to use an old Double Edge razor (cant remember the brand). Well i could never shave ATG with cartidges because i would always get major irritation and razor burn.

I have a very heavy dark beard. My wife says i get a 5 O'clock shadow sometime around midday! I would say my shaves were always between SAS and CCS. So pretty mediocre and i shaved 6 days a week.

Now onto the good part.

My Merkur arrived July 1st. Woke up early on the 2nd to have plenty of time to take it slow. I loaded a Blue Crystal blade. The Merkur is pretty aggressive and it really got me a close shave. I did 2 passes, WTG and ATG. I admit i probably should have done a XTG instead since my face wasnt used to ATG. Needless to say i got a fair number of weepers which stopped pretty quick with my styptic pencil.

The shave was the closest that i can remember. Between a CCS and DFS. It still felt close when i went to bed that night!

After 3 days i was getting better at it although i was trying out different blades so difficult to say whether it was me getting better or the blades being more suited to my skin.

By day 6 RAD had well and truly settled in. I scoured Ebay and bought an excellent condition 1965 Gillette Slim and a 1960 FatBoy in rapid succession. Both are spotless and look fantastic. Both are uncased because im a user not a collector and the boxes would end up in a closet and never get seen anyway. I just love the simplicity and beauty of the Slim/FatBoy.

By the time the Slim arrived, i had 10 days practice with the Merkur 34C. I was feeling pretty good and getting the best shaves of my life (with no nicks or weepers by now). I had been using Red Personnas on the Merkur so i loaded one into the slim and started at setting 1. Super mild. Way too mild for me. Didnt really feel close at all. Next day at setting 3. Much better. The slim has a strange feeling in that even though i could hardly feel the blade, i could see that it was cutting the whiskers. Still not as close as the 34C using the same 2 pass method. The following day i went to 4. Closer still but i got a few weepers. This morning again i used on setting 4, 2 pass shave. Still doesnt feel as close the 34C. The Slim feels so mild that its difficult for me to know if i have the correct angle. When i use the 34C i "know" when the blade is cutting. I can feel it and hear it! Im going to stick with the slim for another week before testing the fatBoy.

I know you guys will say "stop changing razors so quickly you noob!" but im going to give 10 days to each razor and then go to a 2 week each rotation to see how i do.

Oh by the way i bought a 1963 Super Speed Flare Tip late last night. Dammit RAD you're killing me. The Flare tip may be too mild but i just love having these old things. A pity i cant find my Dad's old DE razor.

Thanks for reading and thanks for all the helpful info on this forum.

Im actually excited to get up in the morning so that i can have a shave! My wife thinks im nuts!

0 5
 07-15-2013, 10:20 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook and enjoy your stay. Smile

I do not have a heavy beard at all and I still keep my Slim and Super Adjustable ,the one with the black handle, set at 5. (I have a Fat Boy but rarely use it because I prefer the shape of the head on the Slim and Super Adjustable.) You have the time and the razors so just enjoy the ride. It will all fall into place. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 07-15-2013, 10:32 AM
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook!Biggrin

74 20,787
 07-15-2013, 10:32 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Welcome to TSN! Smile

102 17,573
 07-15-2013, 10:51 AM
User Info
Hello, welcome to: " The Shave Nook " Relax & Enjoy.

Charles U.K

0 2,324
 07-15-2013, 12:10 PM
User Info
Hello and welcome! Cool

2 5,511
 07-15-2013, 12:25 PM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
Welcome! I can definitely relate. I started assuming I would actually save some money, at least that's was my "sales" pitch to the wife. Well, it worked for a week and them all sorts of AD settled in Smile. At least I enjoy every minute of my shave and have found pleasure in it. All in all, I'm pretty glad I made the switch and can honestly say, I will never look back.

10 486
 07-15-2013, 12:54 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook. Each razor uses different muscle memory but it won't take you long to get a great shave with all of your razors.

And trust me, RAD has not set in yet. It will sneak up on you and you will wake some morning and say OMG, and your wife will say, what on earth are you doing. How many razors and brushes do you need to shave.

173 23,288
 07-15-2013, 01:08 PM
User Info
Thanks all!

Im a watch collector so i already had that argument when my wife said "how many watches do you need? You can only wear one at a time"

ME: "how many handbags and how many pairs of shoes do you need? you can only carry one hand bag and wear one pair of shoes"

Her: "I have different bags and shoes for diff outfits"

Me: "I have different watches for diff moods and situations"

That pretty much ended the discussion Biggrin

I might have a slightly harder time with razors (any advice welcome)

0 5
 07-15-2013, 01:34 PM
User Info
Hello and welcome to the forum.

178 11,976
 07-15-2013, 03:13 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Welcome to the Nook!

45 3,955
 07-15-2013, 03:34 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Hey FaceScraper and welcome to The Shave Nook... Try your Slim on 6. That's where I live with my FatBoy. And if your wife doesn't ease up, keep shaving and get a new wife....lol

5 1,151
 07-15-2013, 06:19 PM
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook. Trust that you will enjoy the forum and visit often. Enjoy the journey.

29 1,729
 07-15-2013, 09:20 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Greetings and welcome!

91 17,611
 07-16-2013, 12:41 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
Hi, welcome to The Shave Nook.

7 858
 07-16-2013, 04:26 AM
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook.

98 12,355
 07-16-2013, 04:46 AM
User Info

Today I used setting 4 on my slim WTG and then dropped it to 3 for XTG and ATG. I keep getting a couple of weepers at 4. As i mentikoned before i like the smooth feeling of the Slim but it definitely has some bite to it. Im going to try an Astra blade tommorrow on setting 4.

Setting 6 scares me!

0 5
 07-16-2013, 04:51 AM
  • texquill
  • Olver Warbucks
  • Richardson - DFW area of Texas
User Info
It's great to have you on The Shave Nook - welcome!

The next time you change out blades, try a Feather. You may find that you'll be able to dial back on the razor's setting, resulting in fewer weepers with a closer shave.

30 237
 07-16-2013, 06:22 AM
User Info
(07-16-2013, 04:51 AM)texquill Wrote: The next time you change out blades, try a Feather. You may find that you'll be able to dial back on the razor's setting, resulting in fewer weepers with a closer shave.

Thats sounds a like a good idea. I'll give that a go. Thanks

0 5
 07-16-2013, 07:28 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Greetings and welcome to the Nook.

1 3,507