07-15-2013, 02:59 PM
User Info
This thread (click here) IMO is just too cool. Even when camping there's no need to give up shaving or to look less than presentable. At least as far as a shave goes. OK, no need to give up the enjoyment of a great shave either.

What are your fantasy picks for shave gear when in the puckerbrush 20 feet away from your automobile? In the vein of the referenced thread, not when backpacking, but car/tent camping. Space is at a premium since everything needs to be stuffed into the vehicle.

If the hardware pics aren't fantasy picks, then pics would be great.

Have at it guys. What would you take? If you want to change parameters of the question and make it flying with minimal gear that's OK too. I just don't want to read, "I'd take my shave cabinet". Wink I only want reduced shave gear for travel.

I get to go first.

For the brush, it's a no brainer. It would definitely be my custom travel brush. The handle was made by Oscar11 and is a copy of the Omega Mighty Midget series. The knot is a TGN 20mm syn'. The brush sacrifices nothing. If it dries, great; if not, it won't rot into nonexistence.
It's seen here 2nd from the right. Travel (Rx) tube behind it.
[img][Image: DSC03900_zps487cff20.jpg][/img]

The razor is a no brainer also. Shortly after beginning blade shaving this time I discovered a razor I forgot existed and even forgot the source. It's a Travel Tech. The original storage case was ratty and suitable for nothing, so I made a replacement case. Too the Tech that origianlly resided in the kit was far too mild for me, so I replaced it with a less mild vintage Gillette. I have shims in the kit to make it a razor I actually enjoy using. The blade wrapper to the left records the # of shaves on the blade. The new case allows the razor head to be stored with the blade installed.
[Image: DSC03651.jpg]

For software I'd probably take a tube of cream, and definitely a flask or sample bottle of something Kramperts Finest depending on weather since it has everything needed for post shave in the product (bet you couldn't see that coming! Biggrin ). When we were car/tent camping years ago we always had a wash basin, so that's not really included here- it's a given- we'd have one.

I'd even take that gear if I was "motel camping".

32 6,308
 07-15-2013, 03:29 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Not to be fancy but I would take

1) Travel Badger Brush

2) A couple of Astra Blades

3) Razor - A Gillette Tech and a Red Tip

4) PRE de Provence Shaving Soap as it comes in a tin.

5) A Tube of C.O. Bigelow

6) A little bottle of WitchHazel, with a few cotton pads, Homemade After-Shave (Apple Cider mixture with a touch of Orange) and Nivea Double-Action Balm.

Going to Boy Scout Camp in August so that is what I will be bringing.

1 819
 07-15-2013, 05:55 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have a month to figure this out for myself. I have decided on my mixed mighty midget for my brush and figure a three-piece safety razor would be easy enough to pack. I just need to figure out which soap or cream and aftershave to pack along. I'm thinking I should avoid glass and choose a soap/cream that doesn't take much water to lather or rinse off. I may need to go look at my options and do some testing.

126 2,375
 07-15-2013, 06:05 PM
User Info
GEM OCMM
GEM PTFE-coated SE blade (good for at least 2 weeks!)
Omega 40033 (a treasured knot)
La Toja soap stick (fantastic soap and covered container)
Krampert's Frostbite

If I carry on a plane, I substitute a Personna two-blade disposable razor (not a bad shave at all).

In terms of results, I don't feel like I give up any ground to the at-home kit. A shave with the disposable is predictably not as close as the OCMM but nothing to blush over.

47 1,270
 07-17-2013, 12:51 PM
User Info
~Travel Tube containing small plastic pot of Trumper's Lime and Vulfix 660S M

~R41

~Feather's in Plastic slip left over from some Wilkinson's.

~Small squeeze bottle of Blenheim Bouquet ASB 30ml

No, mirror, just go by feel,,...No Fantasy, this is my usual.

1 622
 07-17-2013, 01:26 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Now we are talking camping right? Roughing it, no running water, not hot shower, wilderness type stuff.

BIC Sensitive Single Blade Disposable Razors

Speick Stick

Mennen Skin Bracer

Vulfix Piccadilly Boar Brush in Vulfix/Simpsons Tube

That's it.

173 23,488
 07-17-2013, 02:12 PM
User Info
(07-17-2013, 12:51 PM)olblueyez Wrote: ~Travel Tube containing small plastic pot of Trumper's Lime and Vulfix 660S M

~R41

~Feather's in Plastic slip left over from some Wilkinson's.

~Small squeeze bottle of Blenheim Bouquet ASB 30ml

No, mirror, just go by feel,,...No Fantasy, this is my usual.

If "Water" is a disqualifier.

Than the brush and cream become:

[Image: taylor-of-old-bond-street-aromatherapy-p...-oil-1.jpg]

Stuff smells Amazing!

1 622
 07-17-2013, 06:11 PM
User Info
Not to sound all John Wayne, but I'll just forget about shaving until I get back to the house! On another front, if for some odd reason, out in the forest or the wherever, it became mandatory that I shave(?), I'd revert back to a Norelco cordless and have a nice smooth shave for the bugs to crawl around on.

24 1,150
 07-17-2013, 09:51 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(07-17-2013, 06:11 PM)brothers Wrote: Not to sound all John Wayne, but I'll just forget about shaving until I get back to the house! On another front, if for some odd reason, out in the forest or the wherever, it became mandatory that I shave(?), I'd revert back to a Norelco cordless and have a nice smooth shave for the bugs to crawl around on.

In years past this was my mantra as well. However, the last short trip I took I skipped two shaves and the stubble mixed with sweat made me very uncomfortable and irritable. I guess going a year with shaving every day and pampering oneself can become almost mandatory. It will be interesting combining roughing it with a little luxury every day, but a man's gotta do...

126 2,375
 07-17-2013, 10:37 PM
User Info
Basically this:
[Image: Kit+folded.jpg]

Add to that a tiny alum-stick (which I forgot when I snapped the photo) and replace the brush with my Omega 50014 if I know it'll have time to dry.

3 3,554
 07-18-2013, 06:03 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
(07-17-2013, 09:51 PM)blzrfn Wrote:
(07-17-2013, 06:11 PM)brothers Wrote: Not to sound all John Wayne, but I'll just forget about shaving until I get back to the house! On another front, if for some odd reason, out in the forest or the wherever, it became mandatory that I shave(?), I'd revert back to a Norelco cordless and have a nice smooth shave for the bugs to crawl around on.

In years past this was my mantra as well. However, the last short trip I took I skipped two shaves and the stubble mixed with sweat made me very uncomfortable and irritable. I guess going a year with shaving every day and pampering oneself can become almost mandatory. It will be interesting combining roughing it with a little luxury every day, but a man's gotta do...

This all really depends on your travel situation. I shave every day and, seemingly more often lately, twice. On a long motorcycle camping trip I stopped twice at Marion Creek, just north of Coldfoot, AK. Temperatures just over the freezing point. I can not understate how thankful I was that I had not shaved for three weeks. Not because of the cold but because of the unbelievable ferocity of the local Mosquitos. Setting up and breaking camp were among my most unpleasant life experiences. Eyes near swollen shut from bites. My 100% deet old military issue bug juice and head net met their match. Sometimes John Wayne is it, with a Dovo shavette to dry shave the edges, and scissors for the moustache.

Good thread.

0 534
 07-18-2013, 11:30 AM
User Info
My camping kit: (No fantasy, this IS it)

For hot water- Kelly Kettle

Omega "Gulliver" travel shave kit. Razor- Plastic handled Tech Gillette has replaced the original cart razor, Omega brush, small mirror, 1 slice La Toya stick, 1 slice Erasmic stick, Packet of trial sized T&H lavender shave cream, Trial packet of T&H AS Balm, steptic pencil, extra Astra SP blades...all packed in the Omega kit. This kit has been great!

DOVO Inox 4/8 Straight

2"x12" Mini Strop

Tiny palm sized stainless bowl

small microfiber camping towel

All this transports in a hanging 9x12x3 toiletry kit along with shampoo and such. The Kelly also serves for cooking/BBQ use. It's a simple, but cheerful item. My whole rough camping outfit fits in a medium sized plastic tote bin including a small tent, sleeping bag, micro-lantern, self inflating mat, etc.

1 345
 07-18-2013, 06:36 PM
User Info
Wow Pam, looks like we have a Winner!Biggrin

24 1,150
 07-18-2013, 06:50 PM
User Info
A gal's gotta look good out in the wilderness. I might meet John Wayne! Biggrin

1 345
 07-18-2013, 11:31 PM
User Info
Does it have a slot for the Pork n' Beans, cause if it does,,...

1 622
 07-19-2013, 06:02 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(07-18-2013, 06:50 PM)MsBlackwolf Wrote: A gal's gotta look good out in the wilderness. I might meet John Wayne! Biggrin

A good Wisconsinite is always prepared. Biggrin

173 23,488
 07-19-2013, 07:31 PM
User Info
(07-18-2013, 11:31 PM)olblueyez Wrote: Does it have a slot for the Pork n' Beans, cause if it does,,...
The cans of pork n beans will fit inside the Kelly Kettle when packed. Not enough empty space left in the Omega kit for more than a bean or 2.......

1 345
 07-20-2013, 01:29 PM
User Info
(07-19-2013, 07:31 PM)MsBlackwolf Wrote:
(07-18-2013, 11:31 PM)olblueyez Wrote: Does it have a slot for the Pork n' Beans, cause if it does,,...
The cans of pork n beans will fit inside the Kelly Kettle when packed. Not enough empty space left in the Omega kit for more than a bean or 2.......

Well, nothings perfect.

1 622
 07-20-2013, 11:34 PM
User Info
Schick M-2 Adj. Injector
Semogue 1520
cremo SC
Brisk AS
87 Chevy V20 Side Mirror
Bottled water for rinsing.

Clayton

6 617