07-15-2013, 07:57 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I had a few items fall of a shelf at my store today so immediately hit Google to check the earthquake activity. I had no idea how many minor earthquakes we have every day. Who knew?

I found the following statistics:

LA and Southern California has had:

8 earthquakes today
48 earthquakes in the past 7 days
263 earthquakes in the past month

The largest earthquake in LA and Southern California:

today: 2.3 in Alpine, California, United States
this week: 2.7 in Calexico, California, United States
this month: 3.4 in East Hemet, California, United States

Southern California
Earthquake Alerts via Twitter:

45 16,352
 07-15-2013, 08:04 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Yeah, you stop noticing those little ones after a while, keep pretending that big one is not going to happen anytime soon. It will happen though Sad

88 4,233
 07-15-2013, 08:16 PM
User Info
Wow!!! i wonder what we get up, here, in Vancouver!

75 20,883
 07-15-2013, 08:23 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Hmmmm, Alpine is only 30 minutes by car from where I live. But then, a 2.3 quake isn't going to be felt by most people.

2 11,211
 07-15-2013, 08:35 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Tube cream goes on the top shelf Phil, after shave on the bottom.

173 23,546
 07-15-2013, 08:47 PM
User Info
(07-15-2013, 08:35 PM)Johnny Wrote: Tube cream goes on the top shelf Phil, after shave on the bottom.

Laughing1

75 20,883
 07-15-2013, 09:42 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(07-15-2013, 08:35 PM)Johnny Wrote: Tube cream goes on the top shelf Phil, after shave on the bottom.

Genius! Biggrin

88 4,233
 07-16-2013, 05:20 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Kind of scary. As long as you and your family are okay that is all that matters.

100 12,447
 07-16-2013, 06:27 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(07-16-2013, 05:20 AM)slantman Wrote: Kind of scary. As long as you and your family are okay that is all that matters.

It was a very minor earthquake. It was the headblade stuff that fell off the shelf so, no worries there...nothing breakable. It is funny though...whenever I feel a jolt, I check Google to see if it was just in my head. Biggrin

45 16,352
 07-16-2013, 07:00 AM
User Info
When I lived in LA (Brentwood) in law school, we lived on the second floor of our apartment building, with the stairs just outside our front door. When I felt the rumbling I just assumed my roommate (who was a basketball player at USC) was coming up the stairs and I'd just stare dumbly at the door for several seconds before realizing it was an earthquake.

We had a relatively big one in Boston a few years ago. Since we're not used to them, everyone freaked out. It was about as major as the "average" LA quake. However, give us 18 inches of snow, and we'll be at work on time.

72 1,407
 07-16-2013, 10:36 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
No matter where most of us live there is a good chance Mother Nature can find us when she's in a grouchy mood. I walked home in a hurricane on my very first day of high school in Brooklyn, New York. For the better part of my 20s I lived in Toledo, Oho where it wasn't uncommon to see tornado warnings flash across my television screen. Of course, here in San Diego, earthquakes and wildfires are what most of us seem to be aware of. If we thought about these things all of the time we'd be petrified to go about our daily lives.

2 11,211
 07-16-2013, 10:43 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(07-16-2013, 10:36 AM)freddy Wrote: No matter where most of us live there is a good chance Mother Nature can find us when she's in a grouchy mood. I walked home in a hurricane on my very first day of high school in Brooklyn, New York. For the better part of my 20s I lived in Toledo, Oho where it wasn't uncommon to see tornado warnings flash across my television screen. Of course, here in San Diego, earthquakes and wildfires are what most of us seem to be aware of. If we thought about these things all of the time we'd be petrified to go about our daily lives.

Agree. Just something we can't do anything about. Live goes on Wink

88 4,233
 07-16-2013, 11:21 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Being on the Pacific we are a part of "The Ring of Fire".

We get lots of Rumblers or Quakes and most ... 99% of the people don't know.

I never look at the quake report but, I would be interested to know where a larger one would be located, what fault line, and how deep it was.

In the event of any major earthquake each area in California will have it's own problems and the damage will vary accordingly.

Other than that I would just like to hope that I would keep my wits about me during and after an earthquake and not go driving on our elevated freeways on a bridge going nowhere.

1 819
 07-16-2013, 01:46 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(07-16-2013, 11:21 AM)Grumpy Wrote: Being on the Pacific we are a part of "The Ring of Fire".

We get lots of Rumblers or Quakes and most ... 99% of the people don't know.

I never look at the quake report but, I would be interested to know where a larger one would be located, what fault line, and how deep it was.

In the event of any major earthquake each area in California will have it's own problems and the damage will vary accordingly.

Other than that I would just like to hope that I would keep my wits about me during and after an earthquake and not go driving on our elevated freeways on a bridge going nowhere.

If you're ever in Northridge, stop by CSUN. There is a Seismograph in the Science building with live maps and history reports since the big one hit here 10 years ago. It's crazy to see how often it happens, exact location and spread.

88 4,233
 07-16-2013, 01:50 PM
User Info
(07-16-2013, 10:36 AM)freddy Wrote: No matter where most of us live there is a good chance Mother Nature can find us when she's in a grouchy mood. I walked home in a hurricane on my very first day of high school in Brooklyn, New York. For the better part of my 20s I lived in Toledo, Oho where it wasn't uncommon to see tornado warnings flash across my television screen. Of course, here in San Diego, earthquakes and wildfires are what most of us seem to be aware of. If we thought about these things all of the time we'd be petrified to go about our daily lives.

Yup. She craps all over my head from June until October.

That said, I think the only natural disaster I really have to worry about are tornadoes. Those haboobs are bad for exposed cars though. Drought is always worrisome.

9 2,988