04-15-2012, 08:12 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
Hi.

Last night I did my first wet shave with a safety razor, and I couldn't believe it! I had a 4 day beard, so I didn't know what to expect. I'm used to shave with a Gillette cartridge (Mach 3), so a 4 day beard would pull, tug and tear my skin with a Mach 3. But with my safety razor, it was like cutting through butter with a hot knife. And afterwards, I had no cuts or sore skin like I used to get with a Mach 3. It was just unbelievable! And it was my first time, so my technique wasn't the best. I used 3 passes, with the hair, from the ear to the nose and from the nose to the ear. Afterwards I was supersmooth, as a baby's bottom Smile

Prep: Hot shower, Proraso Pre~Post Cream before Lathering
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade: Derby
Brush: Edwin Jagger Best Black Badger Premium
Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Shaving Cream Rose
Post treatment: Cold water rinse, Alum bloc and Proraso Pre~Post Cream
A/S/B: Proraso Alcohol Free After Shave Liquid Balm

What is the best way to maintain the shaving gear? After I was done with my shave, I took the razor apart, washed it, dried on a towel, and airdried it. The next day I put it together again. The brush I shook the water off, and hung it up side down on the stand.

Since my shaving gear is new, should I do something to it (like the brush)? The brush had some funny smell to it, but that would go away after some use i assume...

7 858
 04-15-2012, 08:45 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, congratulations.

Great razor and brush. I personally do not see any reason to take the razor apart after every shave. I rinse mine in hot water, shake, and lightly dry with towel. I do give it a good cleaning when changing blades, which is about every 4 shaves with a DE.

Just rinse the brush in hot water, give it a good shake, and continue to hang it hair down like you are doing now. Any funk smell should go away after three or four shaves.

Don't know if you have these in your area, but give the Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue Blades a try.

Enjoy the rest of your shaves.

173 23,484
 04-15-2012, 08:53 AM
User Info
You may also dry your brush with a towel. Brushing the towel gently like you brush your face may speed up the drying process.

Congratulations for voluntarily starting an addiction!

4 365
 04-15-2012, 09:39 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Very nice setup!

beware of the *disorders*, but now you have a razor that will allow you to explore *handle-disorder* !

Tongue

9 1,684
 04-15-2012, 09:50 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Congratulations, Striky. That first successful traditional wet shave is one of those incredible "Ah ha" moments.

Unlike Johnny, I do take my razor apart and thoroughly clean it after each shave. However, I think it comes down to personal preference and the time you have. I'm retired and have the time. Notice, Johnny still gives his razor a good cleaning fairly frequently and this is a good idea for keeping your razor in top shape and looking good.

From what you've stated, you seem to be off to a fantastic start so, again, congratulations. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 04-15-2012, 10:01 AM
User Info
Congrats!

As others have said, taking the razor apart after each time isn't needed - and by my experience increases the risk of getting fingertips sliced by the blade. A rinse in hot water, a good shake and put away to dry should be plenty enough.

Also, can you hear the voices yet? The little voices telling you how nice it would be to have one more razor, to try some other blades, maybe get that shaving cream everyone is talking about on the forums... ? It will come, sooner or later Biggrin

3 3,550
 04-15-2012, 10:11 AM
User Info
Way to go. Thanks for sharing your experience here in the Nook!

I'm not a huge proponent of tons of cleaning. I shake dry & slightly buff with a towel but I don't take anything apart until blade change time. I take good care of my stuff but they don't need to be showroom quality clean for me to use daily.

31 7,912
 04-15-2012, 10:17 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(04-15-2012, 08:45 AM)Johnny Wrote: Well, congratulations.

Great razor and brush. I personally do not see any reason to take the razor apart after every shave. I rinse mine in hot water, shake, and lightly dry with towel. I do give it a good cleaning when changing blades, which is about every 4 shaves with a DE.

Just rinse the brush in hot water, give it a good shake, and continue to hang it hair down like you are doing now. Any funk smell should go away after three or four shaves.

Don't know if you have these in your area, but give the Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue Blades a try.

Enjoy the rest of your shaves.

Tank you! I'm very pleased with the razor and the brush.

Good to know I don't have to take it apart every time, but if I know myself, a probably will SmileI like my things clean and organized (kinda controlfreak)Smile

In my country (Norway), there isn't any stores which sell shaving supplies. There are a few webshops, but they are very expensive. So I shop online abroad Smile Is the Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue Blades a good match to my razor? I also have Feather High Stainless Platinum Coated Blades, which I will try later.

(04-15-2012, 08:53 AM)staggerlee Wrote: You may also dry your brush with a towel. Brushing the towel gently like you brush your face may speed up the drying process.

Congratulations for voluntarily starting an addiction!

Tank you Smile

I will do that the next time...

(04-15-2012, 09:39 AM)gijames Wrote: Very nice setup!

beware of the *disorders*, but now you have a razor that will allow you to explore *handle-disorder* !

Tongue

Thank you! I already have the disorder from my other hobbies, so I don't think it will be any different when it comes to shaving supplies Smile

7 858
 04-15-2012, 10:20 AM
User Info
Congrats on your first DE shave! Looks like you have some nice gear there.

Regarding maintenance, I also buff my brush lightly on a towel after each shave, but I don't clean or take apart the razor. I just give it a good rinse, a couple of shakes, and let it air dry.

6 315
 04-15-2012, 10:21 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Congratulations on your first shave! You obviously did some research and have very good equipment to start with. I would like to point out that TOOBS Rose is a great cream. However, if you have sensitive skin it can irritate your face with regular use.

45 3,955
 04-15-2012, 10:32 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(04-15-2012, 09:50 AM)freddy Wrote: Congratulations, Striky. That first successful traditional wet shave is one of those incredible "Ah ha" moments.

Unlike Johnny, I do take my razor apart and thoroughly clean it after each shave. However, I think it comes down to personal preference and the time you have. I'm retired and have the time. Notice, Johnny still gives his razor a good cleaning fairly frequently and this is a good idea for keeping your razor in top shape and looking good.

From what you've stated, you seem to be off to a fantastic start so, again, congratulations. Thumbsup

Thank you. It was a big Ah Ha moment. As I said, I couldn't believe how smooth the proses was!

I think (if I know myself rightSmile)I will take my razor apart and thoroughly clean it after each shave. I like all my tools clean and well organized Smile

(04-15-2012, 10:01 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Congrats!

As others have said, taking the razor apart after each time isn't needed - and by my experience increases the risk of getting fingertips sliced by the blade. A rinse in hot water, a good shake and put away to dry should be plenty enough.

Also, can you hear the voices yet? The little voices telling you how nice it would be to have one more razor, to try some other blades, maybe get that shaving cream everyone is talking about on the forums... ? It will come, sooner or later Biggrin

Yes, I already hear the voices Smile

(04-15-2012, 10:20 AM)OckhamsRazor Wrote: Congrats on your first DE shave! Looks like you have some nice gear there.

Regarding maintenance, I also buff my brush lightly on a towel after each shave, but I don't clean or take apart the razor. I just give it a good rinse, a couple of shakes, and let it air dry.

Thank you Smile

(04-15-2012, 10:21 AM)tgutc Wrote: Congratulations on your first shave! You obviously did some research and have very good equipment to start with. I would like to point out that TOOBS Rose is a great cream. However, if you have sensitive skin it can irritate your face with regular use.

I don't think I have sensitive skin, quite the opposite. However, I used to have a sore spot on my neck. But that was due to pull, tug and tear from a cartridge razor. It's not sore after I shaved with my Edwin Jagger Smile But I will swap between shaving creams, when I get various brands/types. Thank you for the tip!

7 858
 04-15-2012, 11:35 AM
User Info
Congratulations, sir! Very nice arsenal and enjoy the 10,000 or more shaves to come!!

75 20,883
 04-15-2012, 12:05 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
In reference to your question about the Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue blades, it is the only DE blade I use in my DE87 razor. But it is one of those YMMV things, different storkes for different folks.

173 23,484
 04-15-2012, 12:06 PM
User Info
(04-15-2012, 10:17 AM)Striky Wrote: In my country (Norway), there isn't any stores which sell shaving supplies. There are a few webshops, but they are very expensive. So I shop online abroad Smile Is the Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue Blades a good match to my razor? I also have Feather High Stainless Platinum Coated Blades, which I will try later.
The Feathers are wicked sharp blades so mind your fingers Tongue What I did to find what blades works best was to order a couple of different samplepacks - Connaught Shaving has several different ones, and they ship to Norway with no fuss.

3 3,550
 04-15-2012, 12:20 PM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(04-15-2012, 12:05 PM)Johnny Wrote: In reference to your question about the Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue blades, it is the only DE blade I use in my DE87 razor. But it is one of those YMMV things, different storkes for different folks.

Yes, I have to try the brands to make up my mind which one is the best for me. Tried Derby now, Feather next. If I finds out that ex. Asta is the best blade for me and my Edwin Jagger, will the Astra be the best choice for another razor? Or does blades work differently with different razors?

(04-15-2012, 12:06 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote:
(04-15-2012, 10:17 AM)Striky Wrote: In my country (Norway), there isn't any stores which sell shaving supplies. There are a few webshops, but they are very expensive. So I shop online abroad Smile Is the Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue Blades a good match to my razor? I also have Feather High Stainless Platinum Coated Blades, which I will try later.
The Feathers are wicked sharp blades so mind your fingers Tongue What I did to find what blades works best was to order a couple of different samplepacks - Connaught Shaving has several different ones, and they ship to Norway with no fuss.

Thanks! I see most shops sell these samplepacks. I will buy one so I can try several brands.

(04-15-2012, 11:35 AM)celestino Wrote: Congratulations, sir! Very nice arsenal and enjoy the 10,000 or more shaves to come!!

Thank you!

This is what I got as my starterkit:

Edwin Jagger DE89L Safety Razor
[Image: 1710604219594790572.400_600r]

Edwin Jagger Best Black Badger Premium Shaving Brush Ivory
[Image: ED%20JAG%20WHITE%20BRUSH%20181P27%20BEST...20Logo.png]

Feather High Stainless Platinum Coated Blades
[Image: 41izG0UJUaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

Taylor of Old Bond Shaving Cream Rose
[Image: 224520-DEFAULT-L.jpg]

Proraso Alcohol Free After Shave Liquid Balm
[Image: procreamliquid.jpg]

Proraso Pre~Post Cream/Balm
[Image: proprepost.jpg]

Shave Nation 110g Alum Block with Storage Case
[Image: SN%20ALUM%20BLOCK%20110g.png]

Deluxe Curved Universal Stainless Steel Stand For Brush & Razor
[Image: ParkerUSS.jpg]

For traveling:

Merkur 4 Piece Closed Bar Travel Razor/Case and Blade
[Image: travel_razor.jpg]

Edwin Jagger Pure Badger Travel Brush Aluminum Silver
[Image: 224143-DEFAULT-L.jpg]

Arko Shaving Soap Stick
[Image: Arko_scheerzeep.jpg]

Shave Nation 40g Alum Block with Storage Case, small for travel
[Image: SN%20ALUM%20BLOCK%2040g.png]

7 858
 04-15-2012, 12:43 PM
User Info
Hi Oystein, welcome to TSN!

Any first shave that you can walk away from is a good one. Yours was better than many first shaves. It was certainly better than my first.

I'm in the camp of the folks doing minimal care of the razor. If I'm using a stainless steel blade I loosen the mechanism that tightens it down to let rinse water in, I rinse, then leaving the mechanism loose give it a good shake. Done. Put it away so that it can dry. I too feel that "playing" in the area of the blade will only lead to bloodshed, so I play it safe and leave it alone.

You ask about blades... No one can tell you a good blade for you from their experience. I wish that wasn't so, but that's simply the way it is. Only you have your face and it's unique. We can all suggest blades, but that's every bit as "accurate" as the lottery. The best way to find your good blades is to:

1) have folks gift you blades (on the custom form) when they send you trial blades

2) buy a sampler, if you go this route I suggest a honkin' big sampler.

But for now, just stick to what you're doing. You're doing fine, just keep doing it over and over, honing your technique. Change nothing at this time. Concentrate on technique. Don't even change the blade to a different brand.

Get your sampler, and when you think you're ready, that is, can pull off a really good shave every time, then change one item in the shave. That might be trying a different blade, it might be a new soap. Don't change 2 things, since as a beginner you won't know which change affected what. Chaos is not the way to go about learning this skill.

Eventually, if you go slow initially you'll be able to change all variables when ever you want and know exactly what affected what and what to do about it. But you're not there yet.

Does that make sense to you? It's scientific method, nothing more.

When you do start to test blades keep voluminous records. I guarantee you that if you don't, and get a huge sampler, you won't remember just how good some blades were. I also guarantee you that you'll remember the really bad ones. Good record keeping will separate the mediocre blades from the really good ones.

32 6,308
 04-15-2012, 12:56 PM
User Info
Good advice, Brian. Saved me the typing.Tongue

9 1,199
 04-15-2012, 01:16 PM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(04-15-2012, 12:43 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Hi Oystein, welcome to TSN!

Any first shave that you can walk away from is a good one. Yours was better than many first shaves. It was certainly better than my first.

I'm in the camp of the folks doing minimal care of the razor. If I'm using a stainless steel blade I loosen the mechanism that tightens it down to let rinse water in, I rinse, then leaving the mechanism loose give it a good shake. Done. Put it away so that it can dry. I too feel that "playing" in the area of the blade will only lead to bloodshed, so I play it safe and leave it alone.

You ask about blades... No one can tell you a good blade for you from their experience. I wish that wasn't so, but that's simply the way it is. Only you have your face and it's unique. We can all suggest blades, but that's every bit as "accurate" as the lottery. The best way to find your good blades is to:

1) have folks gift you blades (on the custom form) when they send you trial blades

2) buy a sampler, if you go this route I suggest a honkin' big sampler.

But for now, just stick to what you're doing. You're doing fine, just keep doing it over and over, honing your technique. Change nothing at this time. Concentrate on technique. Don't even change the blade to a different brand.

Get your sampler, and when you think you're ready, that is, can pull off a really good shave every time, then change one item in the shave. That might be trying a different blade, it might be a new soap. Don't change 2 things, since as a beginner you won't know which change affected what. Chaos is not the way to go about learning this skill.

Eventually, if you go slow initially you'll be able to change all variables when ever you want and know exactly what affected what and what to do about it. But you're not there yet.

Does that make sense to you? It's scientific method, nothing more.

When you do start to test blades keep voluminous records. I guarantee you that if you don't, and get a huge sampler, you won't remember just how good some blades were. I also guarantee you that you'll remember the really bad ones. Good record keeping will separate the mediocre blades from the really good ones.

Hi ShadowsDad!

Thank you for a very helpful post.

My first shave was a good one. I think the reason for this is that I took my time, and went easy. I have a friend who began with DA razors shortly before me, and he had small cuts all over his face after his first shave. Probably 50 small cuts (and I'm not kidding!). He said that he didn't felt like it was working, so he put pressure on the razor. I also think he had a open comb razor.

It is a very good and reasonable tip to stick to what I'm doing, and when I'm good enough, change one item in the shave at a time. The Derby works good for me, so I can practice with it with no problems. When I get better I can, as you say, experiment with other blades, to find out which will suit my face the best.

I have understand that it is individually which blade is best. But, if you find a blade that's best for you, will it be best in all your razors?

One thing, what do you mean by:?
ShadowsDad Wrote:have folks gift you blades (on the custom form) when they send you trial blades

7 858
 04-15-2012, 01:51 PM
User Info
Congrats on a new addiction and hobby. I am still new to this style of shaving myself but you have a great start and found a great place with lots of excellent info. Sit back, relax and enjoy your face like never before.

2 87
 04-15-2012, 02:07 PM
User Info
(04-15-2012, 01:16 PM)Striky Wrote: I have understand that it is individually which blade is best. But, if you find a blade that's best for you, will it be best in all your razors?

No, each blade is different in each razor. The combinations are unique, and a blade that is great in one razor may be lousy in a different razor.

183 12,002