07-17-2013, 01:51 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
The Veg?
[Image: a1193645_4555__90544_zoom.jpg]

I was given some of this aftershave with my BST purchase, I was really nervous to open it due to its "reputation", but there was no way for me to avoid trying it. You never know until you try, right?

What can I say? I can't find proper/acceptable words to describe this ...

I had a great shave, smooth, with no cuts, nicks, or irritation. I thought, how bad could this be to use this AS? The minute it touched my skin I proved myself wrong, it wasn't just bad, it was the worse scent I had ever experienced, not to be too graphic, uncleaned bathroom at Burger King smells better (no affiliation with BK or subsidiaries Biggrin).
I didn't even notice aftershave properties, so I wouldn't comment on that, because I was so shocked by this vile stench.
I've read many reviews long time ago and remember people saying that it's only opening notes, that it will start to smell magical in 30 minutes. So, I am sitting with my cup of coffee, holding my nose for 30 minutes, couldn't even finish that cup because I was nauseous. 30 minutes is up, I am so happy waiting for the magic, BAM! nothing happened, it's even worse now. At this point I am very late for work, but no way I can just ignore this and go on with my day, so I jump in the shower and vigorously wash my face with some strong soap - that smell is still there, I am getting my wife's "peeling gloves" and literally trying to take a layer of my skin off. Success! Well maybe. I has been 7 hours and I can still smell it on my hands.

Mandatory YMMV, but don't say I didn't warn you Tongue

88 4,233
 07-17-2013, 02:19 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It is a great mosquito repellent.Biggrin

173 23,546
 07-17-2013, 02:30 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(07-17-2013, 02:19 PM)Johnny Wrote: It is a great mosquito repellent.Biggrin

I don't hate mosquitoes that much Biggrin

88 4,233
 07-17-2013, 02:35 PM
User Info
I like it... but I prefer others Pinaud ASL.

0 375
 07-17-2013, 02:40 PM
  • Jeff
  • Stingraysrock
  • Lakeland, FL
User Info
I wanted to like it, but never have been able to. I have seen threads talking about how whether or not a person likes cilantro is based in genetics... Perhaps the same is true with lillac vegetol? I like the smell of lillacs, just not on my skin.

1 117
 07-17-2013, 02:51 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I actually do too like lilacs in the flower form. It is my mothers favorites and have been forever, so the lilac scent is actually pleasing to me, but this...
I'll stop now, or I'll have to relive this nightmare again Confused

88 4,233
 07-17-2013, 03:48 PM
User Info
I worked at a Burger King in high school, so I can sympathize. Still haven't tried the veg though.

10 2,062
 07-17-2013, 09:27 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
MEEEOOOOWWW !! Biggrin

0 1,291
 07-18-2013, 02:56 AM
User Info
Proper words to describe it: something dead!

5 410
 07-18-2013, 04:05 AM
User Info
The only aftershave that can make the claim that it very nearly killed me...even so, gave it a second chance.

I was not chosen by the veg, but was very nearly executed.

5 298
 07-18-2013, 05:32 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
I felt the same way about their "Special Reserve", whew. It's the only aftershave I've thrown out (though I have a bottle of Aqua Velva that could soon join it, anybody want it?).

17 544
 07-18-2013, 06:58 AM
  • Jeff
  • Stingraysrock
  • Lakeland, FL
User Info
(07-18-2013, 05:32 AM)Macko Wrote: I felt the same way about their "Special Reserve", whew. It's the only aftershave I've thrown out (though I have a bottle of Aqua Velva that could soon join it, anybody want it?).

See now I really like the Special Reserve, it smells like a leather coat to me. But then, I like Aqua Velva too, all the flavors: Blue, Green, Musk, Ice... and the vintage Lime and Redwood and Surf.

1 117
 07-18-2013, 08:12 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I use in my rotation of aftershaves, the scent is not easily described. Many have commented on its unusual scent, they are mainly negative. I'm wondering if we psych ourselves to expect the worse of this product in regards to its distinct scent.

The product surely has a following to have been in production since 1890.

1 3,507
 07-18-2013, 08:20 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(07-18-2013, 08:12 AM)Howler Wrote: I use in my rotation of aftershaves, the scent is not easily described. Many have commented on its unusual scent, they are mainly negative. I'm wondering if we psych ourselves to expect the worse of this product in regards to its distinct scent.

The product surely has a following to have been in production since 1890.

It was definitely NOT in my head. I did know about its love/hate reputation and that's why I gave it a try. It was hate... Hate Hate Hate! I can't say it about any other product, HATE!
In fact, I will go find that thread about hating products and post big HATE there Biggrin

88 4,233
 07-18-2013, 10:59 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
There are those that say they are chosen, but I have smelled it in the wild on a couple of older men who must have thought that it smelled good. Even on others it stinks, I think those that are "chosen" are just wired differently than the majority of us that think this stuff is putrid. However, just because one doesn't find the smell offensive on their person doesn't mean everybody else enjoys it as well. I couldn't suggest not wearing it strongly enough unless you really want to repel every living thing from your vicinity. It really is like a 19th century version of Axe.

127 2,390
 07-19-2013, 12:34 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
(07-18-2013, 06:58 AM)Jeff Wrote:
(07-18-2013, 05:32 AM)Macko Wrote: I felt the same way about their "Special Reserve", whew. It's the only aftershave I've thrown out (though I have a bottle of Aqua Velva that could soon join it, anybody want it?).

See now I really like the Special Reserve, it smells like a leather coat to me. But then, I like Aqua Velva too, all the flavors: Blue, Green, Musk, Ice... and the vintage Lime and Redwood and Surf.
I love Skin Bracer, and Old Spice (but only around the house).

17 544
 07-20-2013, 08:27 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Gee Steve, Sorry about your luck. If you hate it that much send it to me. I am one of THE CHOSEN... The Veg has been around a long time. My woman likes it, I like it, and my face likes it. Great skin care there. Other than Kramperts Finest, The Veg has the best skin care of any A/S that I have in my den. I can understand why some people don't like it. It is different. I would say that a persons skin chemistry has a lot to do with the lingering effects. I also agree that the scent stays with you longer than most after shaves. I bought a bottle many years ago because the label/bottle was something I remembered from my youth. Don't remember where but I had seen it before. 1st time I tried it, it was an eye opener. Wasn't in love but didn't hate it. It took time to use up that bottle and it was years before I purchased another. After starting wet shaving I bought another. Now knowing what to expect from an A/S in terms of skin care and appreciation of things that are "classic", I enjoy a splash of The Veg from time to time... And trust me , if I thought it smelled like cat pee it wouldn't even be in my house. I HATE CATS!!!! Not my GO-TO A/S but it gets used. Lets face it if we all liked the same things that would be BORING... Offer still goes Steve. If you don't want it send it to Sav.... HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151
 07-20-2013, 08:30 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
You got it Sav, PM me your address. I'll wear gloves while packing it, god forbid this thing touches my skin again.

88 4,233
 07-20-2013, 08:54 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
LOL PM on the way...

5 1,151
 07-21-2013, 04:36 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Out of the bottle, before I put it on my skin, it smells like a mixture of Jay's Fluid and a urinal puck. Once I get it on my skin, however, I find it loses this smell and smells quite pleasant; even SWMBO likes how it smells on me.

5 760