07-18-2013, 01:37 AM
User Info
Hi lads,Geordie Sam here,when I was 10 for my birthday (much against my mothers wishes) I was bought an air rifle by my father who thought it would be good for me to learn common sense and responsability etc,within a few weeks I had shot a bird that was sitting doing no harm to me whatsoever in a neighbours garden,sadly I did not kill the bird outright and the poor thing lay flapping on the floor,I did not know what to do, so in a panic I went and got my elder brother who had to shoot the bird about 4 times to kill it.
I have NEVER forgotten this incident and it still saddens me to this day to think how utterly stupid and pointless my actions had been,maybe it's my Catholic guilt I don't know,but I still remember that day as if it really was just yesterday. (42 years ago)
I know it was only a bird, but I had no right to take it's life,and it still preys on my mind.
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 07-18-2013, 02:50 AM
User Info
There's alway a positive to our negative actions. Your action, while negative for the bird, has changed your actions for a life time. Your resulting positive actions may have cause the morally positive actions of hundreds. Sounds like a positive return on a negative action.

5 410
 07-18-2013, 03:11 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
We've all made mistakes Sam. Sounds like your Dad was right, you now use common sense and take on responsibility.

173 23,500
 07-18-2013, 03:26 AM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
Sam,

As they say "lesson lived, lesson learned"
Everybody makes mistakes in life. What sets people apart is the ability to learn from the bad and be a better person. This can change the world, and by the looks of it you already had a positive impact in many, including us from this forum, just by sharing these interesting life experiences.

10 486
 07-18-2013, 03:35 AM
User Info
I have a question you may want to ask yourself on occasion.

How many acts of kindness do I leave in my wake that the death of a bird weighs so much?

Brooke

1 622
 07-18-2013, 07:16 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
@ Sam-

As a youth, I had a similar experience involving a 22 rifle and a rabbit.

After that, I never had a desire to hunt.

Perhaps if I were truly starving, I might have a different view, though I've often said that if I had to kill and prepare what I ate, I'd become a vegetarian quite quickly.

For me, it was one of those life lessons...well learned.

47 1,378
 07-18-2013, 07:54 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I had a some what similar experience when I was 4-5 years old. It was an autumn day and I was outdoors playing and I found a kitten in a pile of raked leaves, how it got in the leaves or where it's mother was I do not know. Anyway, I started playing with it, which involved lightly tossing it on the brick wall of our home, being so small and naive I didn't realize this might be hurting it and it was marvelous to me how it would "latch" onto the wall with it's claws like spider. Well, as can be expected I tossed it too hard and too many times and ended up killing it, most likely broke it's neck, to this day it haunts me.

That was the last animal other than bugs/fish I've ever killed and cats have become my pet of choice and I spoil them rotten...whether it's my subconscious trying to make amends I do not know but I'll never forget that kitten.

31 1,510
 07-18-2013, 11:55 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Sam, I think every good and decent person has an incident about their lives they wish would just go away. They don't, of course, and ultimately I believe those incidents become the building blocks of what make us good, make us better, help us grow.

That ache may never go away but it will direct your heart and head in the right direction. In fact, it sounds like it already has.

2 11,211
 07-18-2013, 12:02 PM
User Info
(07-18-2013, 11:55 AM)freddy Wrote: Sam, I think every good and decent person has an incident about their lives they wish would just go away. They don't, of course, and ultimately I believe those incidents become the building blocks of what make us good, make us better, help us grow.

That ache may never go away but it will direct your heart and head in the right direction. In fact, it sounds like it already has.

Freddy,whenever I put up a post along these lines,I just KNOW that you will come along and talk complete SENSE.
Thanks.
Sam.

0 79