07-19-2013, 01:13 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen:

I think I have owned and sold just about every modern double edge razor made — Pils, Feather D-1 and D-2, 7-day set of Joris, Tradere, all Weber models, numerous iKon models, as well as Muhle, including the mean R41, various models of Merkur, and Parkers, Titan, Atlas and many models of Edwin Jagger — and yet I keep going back to the Edwin Jagger razors.

(I have also have covered a wide spectrum of Gillettes and managed to keep, for my two grandsons, one each a Fatboys, an Aristocrats and a Red Tips.)

What draws me to the Edwin Jagger razors, in addition to the impeccable workmanship, is how comfortable they feel in my hand — except for the big and heavy models — and how comfortably they shave me. Indeed, the shaves are as sweet as I have had of all the DE razors I have tried. Therein lies the secret of these fine razors for me. They are not too aggressive and not too mild, which seems to be the perfect prescription for my heavy Assyrian beard and extremely sensitive skin — new dress shirts I have to wash at least a half a dozen times before I can wear them, and a wool sweater is a nightmare.

Opinions on the Edwin Jagger razors cover the spectrum, from too mild to too aggressive, and so on. Of course, personal taste dictates every shave product made. For me, the Edwin Jagger razors are celestial in every respect. I am comfortable with them and they give me a good shave. And that's what's important.

I had sold all my Edwin Jagger razors and was down to the Muhle R89 for my DE department. I don't count the Gillettes, because I don't shave with them. Even though I shave mostly with the straight razor, I have always remained fond of the double edge razor.

In the last month or so I have bought the "barley" and and older version of the faux ivory. The other day I ordered the faux ivory Loxley, and today the faux ivory Plaza. I might order other models. Either way, this time around I will keep my Edwin Jaggers and send silent thanks to Mr. Neil Jagger for producing them.

The Edwin Jagger is my razor.

Gentlemen, do you feel especially close to a certain brand or model of the double edge razor?

Thanks and stay well.

Obie

132 2,614
 07-19-2013, 01:34 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you Obie for a great write-up and review of a truly great razor line. If EJ would only make a more aggressive head I probably would own several. Their workmanship is second to none.

100 12,436
 07-19-2013, 01:49 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Obie,

I, like you have experimented with a myriad of razors (and blades) to finally choose the Weber Polished. In another thread I listed most of the razors I have tried starting with the DE89, R41, ATT Titan with M plate, iKon (all plates) combo, including the base plate with Feather, FaTip, Vision, Futr, and the 23C / 180 which was my go to razor for the last 7 years. I finally tried the Weber polished razor with a Classic Gen 1 Handle and have fallen for it!

I've also tried just about every blade I could find in North America, and have decided that Astra SP's and Personna Medical blades give me the best shaves, though I also occaisionally use Gillete Silver Blue's, and Gillette 7 o'clock yellows. I abhor the Feather blades!

I am enjoying the best shaves of my life now and usually have absolutely no irritation and VERY few weepers. Most shaves with the Weber have been BBS in 3 or less passes and have been very enjoyable!

Matt

68 1,416
 07-19-2013, 11:26 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Like you I've tried pretty much the same razors (except for Ikon) and one of only 3 razors that have managed to stay in my den is a EJ Chatsworth Barley. I love the way it shaves and especially the feel of that handle.

27 1,294
 07-20-2013, 12:18 AM
  • R0B
  • The Netherlands
User Info
I too favor Edwin Jagger DE89 razor. Although it is pretty mild indeed, loaded with a Feather blade gives still a good shave.
As I prefer a bit more weight, I replaces the handle with the iKon Bulldog handle. Perfect combo for me! Smile

0 114
 07-20-2013, 04:14 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
You really can't go wrong with the 89. It's a great razor to use and it's an excellent razor to recommend to someone venturing into DE shaving. Actually, it's very possibly the best razor to recommend to someone who is new to DE shaving.

29 466
 07-21-2013, 07:16 PM
User Info
I tend to like Muhles. Prefer the Muhle r89 to the EJ89. That said, I still have both versions in my den.

0 64
 07-23-2013, 06:12 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
The Barley handle with the milder R41 open comb head is great for me. I do like the 89 head as well paired with that handle. No muss, no fuss.

135 1,942
 07-23-2013, 09:29 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
The EJ is a good all-around razor. It's just a little on the "aggressive" side for me, but I use it fairly frequently.

- Murray

4 1,150
 07-25-2013, 04:08 AM
User Info
"Aggressive and Sharp"

Anything less requires more shaving and more trauma.

Mild blades and razors are fools gold.

[Image: wuof.jpg]
[Image: d8kd.jpg]

1 622
 07-25-2013, 04:39 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(07-25-2013, 04:08 AM)olblueyez Wrote: "Aggressive and Sharp"

I get your message but I don't like it.

100 12,436
 07-25-2013, 07:02 AM
User Info
(07-25-2013, 04:39 AM)slantman Wrote:
(07-25-2013, 04:08 AM)olblueyez Wrote: "Aggressive and Sharp"

I get your message but I don't like it.

I see all the fear mongering parroted by the inexperienced and I don't like it. Letting people believe a "Feather will cut them" or an "aggressive razor is harder to use" is equivalent to letting them think "a dull straight is less prone to cut you, easier to use, and still provides a good shave".

Its brainwashing,,... And you know it!

1 622
 07-25-2013, 07:08 AM
  • Shanman
  • NE Florida
User Info
I get what you are saying above and agree. I do not actually agree with the pictured razor above- the old R41 is anything but aggressive to 99% that shave with one.

135 1,942
 07-25-2013, 07:14 AM
User Info
(07-25-2013, 07:08 AM)Shanman Wrote: I get what you are saying above and agree. I do not actually agree with the pictured razor above- the old R41 is anything but aggressive to 99% that shave with one.

Can you take 10 or 15 days of growth down to the skin with an R89?

That old R41 that you call "Anything but aggressive" will.

There is waaaaaaaaaay too much fear mongering about open comb razors and sharp blades. And most of it is based on people reading stuff that has no basis in reality.

If you cut yourself, you need some work on your technique.

1 622
 07-25-2013, 07:35 AM
  • Shanman
  • NE Florida
User Info
(07-25-2013, 07:14 AM)olblueyez Wrote: Can you take 10 or 15 days of growth down to the skin with an R89?

There is waaaaaaaaaay too much fear mongering about open comb razors and sharp blades. And most of it is based on people reading stuff that has no basis in reality.

If you cut yourself, you need some work on your technique.

Of course I can, with a couple passes- with any razor. My technique is fine, blood is a rarity for me. I understand what you mean about the fear mongering, I was simply saying that the two photos pictured didn't match the "aggressive and sharp" illustration you portrayed. The Feather- yes it is sharp. The older <2010 R41- not really that aggressive.

I echo Obie's thoughts on the EJ's as nice, comfortable, middle of the road razors.

135 1,942
 07-25-2013, 07:50 AM
User Info
(07-25-2013, 07:35 AM)Shanman Wrote:
(07-25-2013, 07:14 AM)olblueyez Wrote: Can you take 10 or 15 days of growth down to the skin with an R89?

Of course I can, with a couple passes- with any razor. My technique is fine, I was simply saying that the two photos pictured didn't match the "aggressive and sharp" illustration you portrayed. The Feather- yes it is sharp. The older <2010 R41- not really that aggressive.

Will the R89 take that growth down to the skin in one swipe? The old R41 will. Biggrin

Only thing left is some odd stubble that can be eliminated and bring the shave to a close on the second pass. I read what people say about that razor.

But let's say for argument sake its not that particular razor, you choose one you think is aggressive.

Is it the tools? Or the person using the tools? I mean, that's really my point.

1 622
 07-25-2013, 07:52 AM
User Info
Obie, since i only use the Weber DLC, exclusively, i guess i may be partial to that one!Biggrin

75 20,883
 07-25-2013, 08:29 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(07-25-2013, 07:52 AM)celestino Wrote: Obie, since i only use the Weber DLC, exclusively, i guess i may be partial to that one!Biggrin
Celestino, my friend, right you are about the Weber. I have always been fond of that razor and wish I had kept all the three models. I have shaved with the straight razor and the double edge for many years. In double edge razors, the Weber is the best shaver and the most enjoyable — for me — of the stainless steel closed comb razors. I wish the finish were a wee bit better and smoother.
Now that I recall, I sold my Webers, as well as all the other stainless steel razors, open and closed comb — even though I enjoyed the shaves with all to various degree — because of the weight. Gone are also my heavy grind Sheffield straight razors — Wade & Butcher, Frederick Reynolds, and so on — because of the weight. I have arthritis in both hands, especially the right and left thumbs, and the heavy razors take a toll on me.
Gone are also some of the heavier Edwin Jaggers, including the Bulbous and Barley, because of their excessive weight for my hands.
I shave mostly with straight razors and my small collection of four Edwin Jaggers and one Muhle DE razors complement a modest collection of some 35 straight razors — mostly new old stock 5/8 and 6/8 German hollow blades. The combination of weight, balance and shave of the Edwin Jagger suits me quite well — I get fabulous shaves with them. That's why I like them.
My preferred blades — after years of testing countless brands — are Super Iridium and the newer Polsiver Iridium, Feather, Permasharp Super, Gillette "yellow" and, especially with the Weber, the Israeli Personna "reds."
Ah, such fun all this.
Stay well, my friend.

132 2,614
 07-25-2013, 08:37 AM
User Info
Enjoy the Jaggers, Obie!Biggrin

75 20,883
 07-25-2013, 08:50 AM
User Info
The DE89 is the razor I most often reccomend to beginners because of the price, quality and aesthetics. It was simply too mild for my tough beard. The Weber DLC is the only DE that sees any use from me now.

15 762