07-19-2013, 01:44 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
I've been waiting for a while to post my impressions of the Wiborg 2 band Manchurian. My brush experience is pretty limited, so what I prefer/think I prefer has changed from my first use of the brush. I have only sold one brush and that was an AOS Pure badger.

[Image: 257gmcn.jpg]

[Image: 2jeb6mx.jpg]

Those are the brushes that I know. My first purchase after the AOS pure brush was the Thater. It was special, super soft, and a delight every use. The softness spoiled me to what other characteristics some brushes offer that make them desirable. The T&H was my next purchase about 5 months later. We didn't get along that well. It just held onto the lather, and the T&H never wanted to do much more than 2 passes before the lather was too thin to be worth anything. I went back to the Thater for a while after that.

Recently there was a lot of noise about T&H brushes being discontinued and how much people enjoyed them. This made me think twice about the brush and give it a few weeks worth of use to break it in. I only shave once or twice a week due to how slow my beard growth is. Figuring the brush and I didn't see to eye to eye because of break in, I kept my mind open while the T&H evolved. The gripes I had were the lather part and it wasn't nearly as soft as the Thater. That was, they were gripes until I discovered D.R. Harris Arlington shave stick. The T&H was fantastic with a shave stick and face lathering!

The next brush that tickled my fancy was the B&B (evil word) group buy M&F. For that price I had to take the risk. When I read up on the brushes it sounded like they would be similar to the Truefitt & Hill. I was looking forward to the handle + a slightly scrubby brush with backbone. What a soft brush it turned out to be. Not as soft as the Thater, but much closer to the Thater than the T&H. It was nice to go back to a soft brush, supportive brush!

I didn't get more than 2 uses from the M&F before the Wiborg arrived. What a beautiful brush! Dry rubbing in the palm of my hand felt like it was as soft and "pillowy" as my T&H. The bristles were noticeably thicker and stiffer than any of the other brushes.

The initial use was rough. I did some test lathers while in the shower with the shave stick. It created great lather, but I should have never done those test lathers. Towards the end of my actual shave the scritch turned to scratch and I wanted to just throw the brush away. What a let down! After reading the few reviews available for such a young brand I was expecting something totally different than what was delivered. Never before had I truly experienced scritch.

I tried it again that week to similar effect. A co-worker that I got into wet shaving was pretty curious about the review I gave him, so he asked if he could borrow it for a shave. He came up with the same thoughts after his shave and the same "throw it away" opinion. I posted up a very brief review on another site and VocalistBob messaged me with a fairly shocked response.

That made me consider whether break-in has a bigger time period than I expected. Over the last 2 shaves the brush has either softened up or I am really appreciating the scrub. I love the Wiborg (especially the script logo), and it is a very good thing I didn't give up on it.

Looking forward to seeing how it evolves in the future. Soft brushes are great, but occasionally you will want to mix things up and enjoy the massage that a brush with good backbone can deliver.

//end long winded "review"

9 734
 07-19-2013, 02:44 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Excellent! Thanks for sharing.

88 4,233
 07-19-2013, 07:42 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Thank you for taking time to share your experience.

Impatience is a problem for some of us, no doubt.

47 1,378
 07-20-2013, 04:00 AM
User Info
Thanks for sharing your experience with the brush. A great foursome of brushes.

In the future, if you want to add a fifth brush with soft tips to the rotation, I recommend a try of a Rooney Heritage brush.

29 1,731
 08-31-2013, 06:00 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Grantmm. I purchased a Wiborg Manchurian back in April with a faux nacre handle. This seems like a good place to share my impressions of the brush.

The Wiborg Manchurian is different from any other hair I have experienced. Apart from this brush, I am a Simpsons guy with Simfix Pure, Best, Super, 2-Band Super, and Somerset Best and 2-Band Best in my collection. I have quite a few shaves on it now, so it is well broken-in through many face latherings. It is a dense pack similar to the average Simpsons Best brush and has a similar tip feel to the softer batches of Best hair (though with a whiter color). It truly outperforms Best in the backbone department (it is stiffer) but is less stiff than 2-Band. The heat retention of the hair is superb (lather stays warm very well) and it makes lather very quickly. The hair is very well sorted/graded--no broken off tips or random thicker or darker hairs. It makes great lather very easily with all of my soaps.

Notable too is the construction: there is no glue bump to speak of. The hair at the base of the knot is not glued to the handle, nor does any glue ride up into the knot. So this backbone performance is impressive considering that all my Simpsons 2-Band brushes have a much tighter, bump-like feel at the base of the knot.

Florian, who makes the Wiborg brushes, stands behind his products very well. I recently purchased a 2-Band brush from him in faux horn that I am very eager to receive. It is a 30 X 51 knot, so it should hopefully give a Chubby 2 a run for its money.

1 255
 08-31-2013, 07:11 PM
User Info
I think it's incorrect to say that badger doesn't need time and use to 'break-in'. My Simpson Duke 2 in best was actively scratchy when it first arrived, almost unpleasantly so, but after a few months of regular use it's really softened up and become a joy to use. By way of contrast, a Colonel in best purchased at the same time was beautifully soft from the start. I'm glad I persisted with the Duke, because it's characteristics have really changed over time.

I guess the moral of this story is that it's worthwhile sticking with a brush for a while even if it's not what you initially expected. I'm glad the Wiborg has improved for you, scrubby brushes are great!

0 123
 08-31-2013, 07:40 PM
User Info
That is an impressive collection of brushes and I have always wanted to try the Wiborg 2-band brushes! Biggrin

75 20,883
 09-01-2013, 02:54 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Great review and nice start. The Wiborg looks well constructed and it's a brush maker ( I think) that's not as well known as some others yet. Very interesting. I'm breaking in a couple new 2xl's from Lee Sabini and they do take time but the process is worth it! I see your affection for the Thater. Looks like you have a 4125/1 fan two band. Pure luxury and I reach for that one all the time. Got to contact this Florian chap!

Max

42 1,041
 09-01-2013, 05:49 AM
User Info
I owned a 2 band Wiborg with a bulb shape knot. These are excellent brushes and great performers. I sold it just because I like softer tips than the Wiborg offered. My Chubby 2 in Two Band meets that bill!

[Image: RbU8psl.jpg]

[Image: faPDycX.jpg]

31 1,554
 09-01-2013, 07:20 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
(08-31-2013, 06:00 PM)ntr(nwu) Wrote: Thanks for the review, Grantmm. I purchased a Wiborg Manchurian back in April with a faux nacre handle. This seems like a good place to share my impressions of the brush.

The Wiborg Manchurian is different from any other hair I have experienced. Apart from this brush, I am a Simpsons guy with Simfix Pure, Best, Super, 2-Band Super, and Somerset Best and 2-Band Best in my collection. I have quite a few shaves on it now, so it is well broken-in through many face latherings. It is a dense pack similar to the average Simpsons Best brush and has a similar tip feel to the softer batches of Best hair (though with a whiter color). It truly outperforms Best in the backbone department (it is stiffer) but is less stiff than 2-Band. The heat retention of the hair is superb (lather stays warm very well) and it makes lather very quickly. The hair is very well sorted/graded--no broken off tips or random thicker or darker hairs. It makes great lather very easily with all of my soaps.

Notable too is the construction: there is no glue bump to speak of. The hair at the base of the knot is not glued to the handle, nor does any glue ride up into the knot. So this backbone performance is impressive considering that all my Simpsons 2-Band brushes have a much tighter, bump-like feel at the base of the knot.

Florian, who makes the Wiborg brushes, stands behind his products very well. I recently purchased a 2-Band brush from him in faux horn that I am very eager to receive. It is a 30 X 51 knot, so it should hopefully give a Chubby 2 a run for its money.

Good to hear that it just gets better and better. I am going to spend the next 2 weeks worth of shaves with this brush to give it some more break in time.

Thank you for adding to the review Smile You must post up pictures of that faux nacre because it looks like a gorgeous pearl on Wiborg's site.

I haven't tried a Simpson brush yet, but I'm hoping that the group buy in best has enough left over after the long term members get their opportunity for a long term (over 1 year) lurker to buy one. This hobby is dangerous with all of the different "flavors" of brushes that all need trying Hambre

9 734
 09-02-2013, 12:51 PM
User Info
The faux nacre is a nice material. It is relatively subtle yet distinctive. It has a nice pearly translucency to it, which is unique in my collection. And it works well with the "original" Wiborg logo. It seems slightly less dense than the typical materials, however.

I will post a family pic when my Wiborg 2-Band arrives. By that time I will have a Chubby 1 in Best to compare it to.

Thanks, German, for sharing your observations on the Wiborg 2-Band vs Simpsons. Every single Simpsons 2-Band I own has a distinctive feel to the hair (of course the other knot characteristics play a role).

My M7 2-Band is the least dense 2-Band I own. It has the darkest tips, is softest (but retains good "definition" of feel) and has the best flow through. The T3 2-Band is denser and has less flow through. The tips are whiter and very soft but aren't ever individually detectable on the face, unlike the M7.

The E1 has truly white hair but also the scritchiest feel (the somewhat pointy knot may play a role in this). The hair almost has a "fibrous" feel when dry. It seems the E1 is from very early in the Vulfix transition. I don't think this type of hair is around anymore. Overall it is like a current 3-Band Super in tip softness but a 2-Band in backbone.

If my new Wiborg 2-Band is somewhere in this general continuum, I think I will be happy with it.

1 255
 09-08-2013, 09:49 PM
User Info
I loved this write up! I can't wait for mine to come in!

6 229
 09-09-2013, 10:05 PM
User Info
Enjoy the new brush, Tailoredfamcam. Here's some eye candy to tide you over:
[Image: XYmGP1f.jpg][Image: SQKDaLM.jpg][Image: rynBK2q.jpg]

1 255
 09-10-2013, 11:01 AM
User Info
Oh goodness! I can't wait to get it! I kind of want to pick up one of their larger knotted fan brushes, but I'll wait!

6 229
 11-05-2013, 05:47 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
(07-20-2013, 04:00 AM)ridgerunner Wrote: Thanks for sharing your experience with the brush. A great foursome of brushes.

In the future, if you want to add a fifth brush with soft tips to the rotation, I recommend a try of a Rooney Heritage brush.

I went ahead and took your advice. Two brushes are not pictured, a Simpson Commodore 3 and a M&F Chief.

[Image: 1z58cbk.jpg]

Top = Emillion with damp tips.
Bottom = 2XL
[Image: abt8oh.jpg]

[Image: 154c9lc.jpg]

[Image: 5dqivs.jpg]

Left to right:
Rooney 3/2 Super Silvertip (t&h)
Thater 4120/1 Fan Silvertip?
Rooney Heritage Emillion 2
Wiborg Manchurian Badger 26mm
Rooney Heritage 2XL (On loan from another very kind member of the board)

[Image: 14uuxhe.jpg]

Top view in the same order
[Image: neguhw.jpg]

Excuse me while I duck out of the way of the picture to keep you from having to see my ugly mug.

[Image: fo2ef7.jpg]

9 734
 11-06-2013, 01:45 PM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
My experience with a Wyborg Manchurian brush, while nice, was disappointing because I knew from the very first use that the backbone I was hoping for was not there-and it had a 46mm loft. It was a nice brush, well constructed. I sold it because of the lack of backbone. I recently purchased a Mountain Manchurian from Lee @ WSP/A Sharper Razor, and it is a superior knot with better backbone, soft but scrubby tips & not a big splay. A quite beautiful knot, tied with my favortite D01 2band Shavemac. FWIW

32 362
 11-22-2013, 04:56 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
The Wiborg, although a great, great brush, had to go to make room for another itch I needed to scratch now that I have the Heritage Hair illness. I think I hit paydirt with this brush.

Obie is a great man for coming forward when I asked if he had any other brushes for sale. So far he has sold me some great brushes at very fair prices. It all started out with trying to buy his Simpsons Persian Jar Super. I messaged him about 15 minutes after he put up the thread asking to buy the PJ, but he had already sold it and offered me a Commodore X3 instead. What a great brush that turned out to be!

Fast forward a few weeks and a stellar deal came up on the Rooney Emillion 2 posted earlier in this thread. I thought to myself, if this is what Heritage hair is like, I need more of this! Now I rushed off to try and find a 2XL with the hooked tips. The only 2xl I have tried didn't have the hooked tips, but boy oh boy what a brush! It was a little stingy with the lather, but after reading up it may be that I just didn't load it long enough on the soap. It had so much backbone! I wasn't used to a brush with that much backbone and declared that the wall of badger wasn't for me immediately. Re-thinking that experience, I'm guessing that it was because the brush was pretty much new. Now I wanted one for my own!

In comes Obie again. Knowing that he has had some great brushes for sale before, I take a chance and ask if he has a 2xl. He said he did, but it turned out to be a Stubby 3. I think our messages got crossed up and I wasn't clear with what I was looking for. Money had already been sent, and I asked for a picture of the brush because I wanted to do some drooling. This is where I saw that I paid for a Stubby 3. Obie offered to refund me immediately, but what the heck... What could a little adventure in the world of brushes hurt.

The brush came in today and here is what I now have:

(On the right)
Slightly damp hair:
[Image: nn5cnk.jpg]

Close up of the hair when dry:
[Image: 30wt8wo.jpg]

The Emillion's hair:
[Image: 2114gvq.jpg]

[Image: 20787sx.jpg]
[Image: 2sa02f6.jpg]

Tomorrow will be the initial shave.

9 734
 11-23-2013, 04:07 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
Am I a bad person for liking the Emillion more than the Stubby? The Stubby and denser brushes just hold on to too much lather. When creating the lather, I loaded both brushes for fairly equal amounts of time. I gave the Stubby first pass at the water softened MdC and loaded for 15 seconds. The Emillion got about 20 seconds of loading because the softened soap had been mostly gobbled up by a well loaded (at least it appeared to be well loaded) Stubby. The Stubby took "a while" to create a good and thick yet fluffy lather. The Emillion was almost immediately exploding with mountains of lather on my face.

I did 3 passes of lather with the Emillion, and it was still sharing a usable amount of the fluffy stuff. After 2 passes, the Stubby was getting selfish and not wanting to share what it had. This was surprising because when I went to squeeze out brushes during clean up, the Stubby had roughly 2x the amount of lather removed than the Emillion.

Advice on how to get the Stubby to be more lather friendly? Is this just something that will change with time?

9 734
 01-11-2014, 07:48 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
[Image: whdyx5.jpg]

This 1XL showed up on the 3rd. I've been admiring it from afar until yesterday when it got it's maiden shave in my hands. From what I can tell, being broken in, the first impression is a great impression. It isn't as greedy with the lather created as the 2XL was. Cam says that his brush (the 2XL used earlier in this thread) doesn't have a problem sharing the lather created, so I'm assuming that this is a trait that improves with use.

The Stubby 3 has such a soft, heavenly feel that it takes a lot to make me want to use anything else, so I'm going to give the 1XL a month of use (once a week shaves) before making a full judgement on this newbie in the den. So far, the main difference between the two has been the amount of splay during use. I like the Stubby's distributed feel vs the 1XL's concentrated feel.

Sorry for the sideways picture:
[Image: 2ithtt0.jpg]

[Image: 2ypngo0.jpg]

Top shot of the 1xl vs an unused P8:
[Image: 2v9rt50.jpg]

9 734
 01-11-2014, 07:55 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Nice chronicle of your brush journeys and explorations.

Ahh ... the Heritage knots ... fantastic.

I also reach for the Stubby 3 often ... this knot is ideal in terms of softness, size, splay, backbone, flow through.

102 17,668