04-15-2012, 10:39 AM
User Info
Hello Gentlemen,

A friend at the Turkish traditional shaving forum http://www.geltir.com asked me to compare Futur vs Progress, and I thought I'd make a head to head comparison. All the opinions in this review are my own, and the verdict is totally subjective, so YMMV.

Both are two piece adjustable razors, and are widely accepted and recommended in the community. Futur is a little expensive (nearly 10 USD at amazon) than the progress. Futur is 10cm in length, and 135gr in weight; whereas progress is smaller: 8.25cm and 90gr.

[Image: 4hkx1.jpg]
The black rubber band is my addition to futur to avoid slippage.

While progress is a handsome razor, futur is one of the most striking designs ever.

[Image: 4hkz0.jpg]

[Image: 4hkzq.jpg]

The adjustment knob of progress is at the bottom, while futur is adjusted near the head.

[Image: 4hl40.jpg]

[Image: 4hl4s.jpg]

How will I review their performance, ergonomy and adjustability? Well, I've decided to use derby extra, permasharp super and astra SP respectively with each razor on same shave. And I will shave my right face with one, left face with other. I will report my thoughts to you as the comparison 'progresses' in the 'future' Smile. You may have a different idea of method of comparison, please let me know.

4 365
 04-15-2012, 10:47 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Nice idea,my friend!
I have tried both razors and I find myself liking the Progress much more.Dont get me wrong,the Futur gave me outstanding shaves too,but there is something about the Progress I like more,maybe the short handle.
Both razors are great and I cant recommend them with close eyes and no hesitation.
Looking forward to read your comparison.

86 7,123
 04-15-2012, 11:00 AM
User Info
I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I have both and my preference leans towards the Futur. It seems less fussy with blade choice and the noise it makes when it cuts your beard is fantastic.

I also love the ultra modern look and feel of the Futur too.

This doesn't mean the progress is a poor razor by any means. When I use it, it makes a nice change of pace.

7 1,179
 04-15-2012, 11:59 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I have used both razors and a slight nod to the Progress only because its smaller and lighter. According to your pictures of the heads side by side they almost look identical. Both are great razors.

100 12,436
 04-15-2012, 01:58 PM
User Info
Looking forward to this thread as my next raor will most likely be an adjustable and probably one of the 2 you are comparing now. Can't wait to hear more. May I be bold enough to suggest each razor and blade combo at least twice? Swapping the side of the face each day just to get the whole face shaved with each combo. Thanks again for this comparison.

2 87
 04-15-2012, 03:57 PM
User Info
Waiting on a Progress to Mergress conversion. I'm look forward to following this thread.

0 145
 04-15-2012, 07:26 PM
User Info
BRW makes a terrific Progress conversion as well.

9 1,199
 04-15-2012, 07:37 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
This should be interesting. I've somehow never touched a Progress and sold my Futur long ago because at the time, I thought it was too big and cumbersome. I've since taken to big, heavy razors so another trial may be in my "future". Rolleyes

35 2,703
 04-15-2012, 08:33 PM
User Info
Hello Gents!

Thank you all for your nice words, they really motivate me.

Today, I loaded both razors with permasharp super blade, they are ready to test drive! Futur is easier to load than progress. I shave my right face with progress and left with futur.

I used T&H almond cream and New Forest 2 band for a nice, protective lather. Not too much growth so I did 2 passes -WTG and XTG- with some minor touches in the end.

I adjusted both machines to level 3, my personal preference. Progress is easier to adjust. The knob of progress is plastic (acrylic maybe?) so grip is easier, knob of Futur, however, slips through the fingers if it's wet.

Then to the grip; progress is easier to handle and more stable in my hands. Since progress is shorter, you can support it with your palm. You can do the same thing with Futur but the problems are; it is larger and the tip of the handle is rounded so it slips and is not stable as progress. Also the shaft of Futur tends to slip through your hands when wet, so as you can see in the pictures of my previous post I've put a rubber band (taken from a pen) to overcome this difficulty.

Futur is special in the sound that it gives. It sounds like a singing straight razor and is a pure joy to listen to. On the other hand, progress is mediocre.

Both razors performed perfect, no cuts or bleeding, no irritation at all. A BBS. Don't ask me how I concluded to this, I can not explain, but Futur was a better performer in the first day. Don't get me wrong progress was perfect too.

To be continued..

4 365
 04-15-2012, 08:41 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(04-15-2012, 08:33 PM)staggerlee Wrote: Futur is special in the sound that it gives. It sounds like a singing straight razor and is a pure joy to listen to.

Great start, Burak! I had completely forgotten about the Futur's "musical" qualities! The only other razor I can think of that has a similar sound is the Joris DE. Both let the blade hang out a bit and vibrate for our listening pleasure...

35 2,703
 04-15-2012, 08:52 PM
User Info
(04-15-2012, 08:41 PM)texbilly Wrote:
(04-15-2012, 08:33 PM)staggerlee Wrote: Futur is special in the sound that it gives. It sounds like a singing straight razor and is a pure joy to listen to.

Great start, Burak! I had completely forgotten about the Futur's "musical" qualities! The only other razor I can think of that has a similar sound is the Joris DE. Both let the blade hang out a bit and vibrate for our listening pleasure...

Now that makes me wonder about Joris DE Rolleyes

4 365
 04-15-2012, 09:26 PM
User Info
Great idea, Burak! Looking forward to the review!

75 20,883
 04-16-2012, 04:38 AM
User Info
Futur cutting sounds remind me SE razors sounds sometimes.
Nice opinion Burak Congrats.

3 369
 04-16-2012, 08:28 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(04-16-2012, 04:38 AM)melyus Wrote: Futur cutting sounds remind me SE razors sounds sometimes.
Yes! Good analogy.

35 2,703
 04-16-2012, 08:35 AM
User Info
(04-16-2012, 04:38 AM)melyus Wrote: Futur cutting sounds remind me SE razors sounds sometimes.
Nice opinion Burak Congrats.

Thank you, my friend!

4 365
 04-16-2012, 10:31 AM
User Info
What do you think of the balance differences between the Futur and the Progress? I have found the Futur to be perfectly balanced when it is held by the "waist".

eric.

6 132
 04-16-2012, 07:33 PM
User Info
(04-16-2012, 10:31 AM)glassmtn Wrote: What do you think of the balance differences between the Futur and the Progress? I have found the Futur to be perfectly balanced when it is held by the "waist".

eric.

Hello Eric,

Balance point of my Futur is at the indented part of the shaft, closer to adjusting part. The balance point of progress is nearly 2 cm from the head. I usually hold a DE near its half point, so they become head heavy and gravitation does the job.

Today I used my right hand with futur and left with progress.

Before this review, I was a fan of futur, I must admit, it is my favorite DE razor at the moment. But today, different thoughts came to my mind.

Both razors are very balanced, but today I noticed that I would never advice a beginner to use Futur. Because futur is heavy, slippery and has a learning curve to get the full potential out of it. But I can recommend progress to a beginner as a first adjustable DE, it is very user-friendly, so to say.

The shave was superb, baby butt smooth with 3 passes. No nicks, no cuts, blood-free shave. Both razors are modern masterpieces in my opinion, and will be classics 20 yrs from now on. They will both be sold on ebay at ridiculous prices like adjustable gillettes are sold now.

As far as I heard, the gold plated Merkur Futur is being discontinued so, the prices will go up maybe sooner than 20yrs. (I will be rich..)

Permasharp blades went to trash, tomorrow comes new blades and new shave!

Gentlemen,

I have just noticed that I have 2 cuts at the angle of my left chin,under ear. NO PROGRESS NO! BAD BOY!

4 365
 04-16-2012, 09:57 PM
User Info
Nice comparrisons. I own a Futur and had a Mergress XL modified Progress. I ended up preferring the Futur and selling off the XL now as it is out of stock at Lee's.

My thoughts, first you are correct, the Futur "sings" the sound is unique. Second I have the satin model and have not had a "slip" issue. Finally with some time the adjustment tightness loosens up a little and it seems to be just right now.

Looking forward to more of your reviews!

129 6,685
 04-17-2012, 07:49 PM
User Info
Hello Gentlemen,

Today I had the progress on right, futur on left. I had a 3 pass shave, enjoyable and smooth.

I had 2 small cuts with progress, again. I am beginning to think that progress is more agressive than futur in the same settings ( both level 3), do you agree? I also noticed that I want to continue shaving with Futur unintentionally. Maybe it is more suitable for my taste, I don't know.

Apart from 2 little cuts, the shave was great and smooth.

I will continue reporting tomorrow.

4 365
 04-18-2012, 10:55 AM
User Info
I think there are so many factors that could cause a nick with one razor, and not the other that may not be attributable solely to aggressiveness. Perhaps the one razor works better than the other with a specific brand of blade. Or perhaps the balance on one is different than the other. I shave exclusively with my right hand, and tend to get more weepers or nicks on my left side regardless of the razor/blade combination. In my experience with the Progress, Mergress, and Futur, I found the Futur was more aggressive on a given setting. Especially on the lower settings. But as always, YMMV.

eric.

6 132