07-20-2013, 06:39 AM
User Info
I had been struggling with Simpson brushes. Huh

The first ones I tried (in Super and Best) I found either too scratchy for my liking or unpredictable as knot vs knot variations of the same kind of brush were quite large. AND I like brushes that have super soft tips with resilient hair. I found that 2 band have those qualities. I started my 2 band journey with Thäter 2 bands that have incredibly soft tips. I hesitated to try Simpson 2 band because it was debated in a rather polarizing fashion at the time with experiences varying a lot.

Finally, about 15 months ago, I saw a Duke 3 in 2 Band being discussed on the forums that was just an unbelievable stunner and the description was that of a super soft brush…. I had to try it. Aaaaa

[Image: 85d1S8C.jpg]

It became my first Simpson 2 Band and was the beginning of an addiction that has me acquire about 18 Simpson 2 band brushes over the last year. Only two I sold because the specific knot turned not out to be what I was hoping for: a T3 that had too short of a loft for my liking and a Chubby 1 that had a very pointy bulb knot that - though very soft - made it uncomfortable to use when face lathering (I replaced it with a custom that feels much better).

So what is it with Simpson 2 band brushes?

1. Simpson changed suppliers some time late 2011 or early 2012 (I am sure Mark can correct me, if I am wrong) that significantly reduced the variability in hair batches (no more scratchy 2 band).
2. Current Simpson 2 band hair possesses incredibly soft tips with strong individual resilient hairs that make it perfect for face lathering.
3. Flow through is excellent - even in the dense Chubby series. 2 band hair due to its strength will never feel as dense as a Chubby in best or regular Super - which for me is a great treat. I cherish the Chubby 3 I acquired from Ben, because of that specific characteristic.
4. I enjoy the Simpson knot and handle variations a lot - explaining why I have accumulated such a selection. I am less teased by the latest, more "fashionable" handle material choices. I am clearly locked on the classic ivory designs.

What made this journey more difficult is that Simpson (and I offer Mark a forum to respond) has decided to no longer offer 2 band brushes through 3rd party vendors, significantly reducing supply and making them only available through custom order at Simpson (or the rare but occasional LE section appearance). About half of my 2 band crowd I acquired prior to this supply decision. The remainder I ordered directly from Simpson. And I thank Mark for always meeting my needs.

I own about 50 brushes - most of them 2 bands of various kinds - and while I continue to enjoy my Thäters, Rooneys, shavemacs my Simpson 2 band brushes are the ones I am grabbing most of the time.

Oh, and I shall not neglect the fact, that I do own a few other than 2 band Simpson brushes. The ones that I decided to keep and use frequently: GYLE M7, a D3 and the Jubilee in Manchurian and a D3 regular Super. You find some in the pictures as well.

Enjoy the pics!

[Image: ocsNLuB.jpg]
[Image: r04BHGE.jpg]
[Image: i4agMNC.jpg]
[Image: qgC5rII.jpg]
[Image: WbMInwA.jpg]
[Image: W611MxD.jpg]
[Image: 94KT6o8.jpg]
[Image: GPl8B9n.jpg]
[Image: cTliAgu.jpg]
[Image: o2UkAl1.jpg]
[Image: 7EV4Qqv.jpg]
[Image: t3XRP12.jpg]
[Image: yFw5aI4.jpg]
[Image: GYRKObF.jpg]
[Image: Kc5bXwQ.jpg]
[Image: DB21hSe.jpg]
[Image: GfHQl1q.jpg]
[Image: ccV9byh.jpg]

31 1,554
 07-20-2013, 06:49 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Oh dear lord, I had to take a nitro pill. Give me oxygen.

I was doing alright with the beautiful pictures until I got the the Chubby 2. I covet, I desire, I want a Chubby 2 2-band and someday when I can afford one, I will have one.

Andrew down in Austin loaned me one for about a week and he came close to not getting it back.

I need to go watch a John Wayne movie now so I can relax.

173 23,553
 07-20-2013, 06:56 AM
User Info
A fantastic collection of Simpsons brushes! Found myself coveting the Eagle 3 in Super.

29 1,731
 07-20-2013, 07:31 AM
User Info
German, you have a very impressive and exceptional collection of Simpson 2 band brushes. Thank you for sharing your excellent pictures.

I too find the current selection of Simpson 2 band to be superb. My Simpson 2 band and Manchurian badger hair brushes are my favorite Simpson brushes.

0 3,341
 07-20-2013, 07:40 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
indeed very impressive! I couldn't cope with such a large collection, I have 4 brushes and sometimes I can't decide what to use.

27 1,298
 07-20-2013, 07:45 AM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
Great collection!

19 414
 07-20-2013, 07:49 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Ye gods and little fishes, now you've done it to me. Simpson's 2-band Sivertip tip is the only badger I don't have, but thought I could live without, but now you have re-ignited my SBAD just when I thought it was under control...W00tBadger

5 760
 07-20-2013, 08:32 AM
User Info
Wow !!!

So THIS...is where they've all gone to.

Great collection, enjoy.

0 22
 07-20-2013, 08:42 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
That's an amazing collection you've got there mate.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Smile

32 638
 07-20-2013, 08:43 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Fantastic collection and congratulations. This is unbelievable.

100 12,448
 07-20-2013, 08:43 AM
User Info
Great collection, German!

75 20,883
 07-20-2013, 08:44 AM
  • pc4406
  • Vintage Shearer
  • San Francisco
User Info
Incredible collection. Thanks for the pictures.

58 234
 07-20-2013, 08:45 AM
User Info
excellent collection of 2 bands. i love 2-bands myself and your post has made me want to get a simpsons 2-band now. i think it would be a great addition to my den

1 171
 07-20-2013, 08:54 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Stunning pics of a great collection of brushes.

86 7,124
 07-20-2013, 10:15 AM
User Info
Very well done, German. One of my favorite brushes as well. I didn't know about the change in availability through Simpsons only.

47 1,270
 07-20-2013, 10:22 AM
User Info
Hi German,

Fantastic collection of brushes. Really gorgeous. Smile

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pics... and tempting me to get another brush. Wink

3 270
 07-20-2013, 10:36 AM
User Info
Great collection there German.

My personal favourite of Simpson 2 band was around the LE Grosvenor, Douglas and Ehsan time. I have a few 2 bands from that time and I found it scritch less and scrubby which I absolutely loved.

I have a few from this new batch, super soft gel like, for me it's not as satisfying. Still nice though but I would pick the older stuff all day.

There are other manufacturers that offer this type of hair in there current line up so I'm pretty happy.

7 1,179
 07-20-2013, 10:41 AM
User Info
You are right... there are other 2 bands that allow for more scrub/scritch... thankfully, we do not have all the same taste.... Cheers

(07-20-2013, 10:36 AM)Dipesh Wrote: Great collection there German.

My personal favourite of Simpson 2 band was around the LE Grosvenor, Douglas and Ehsan time. I have a few 2 bands from that time and I found it scritch less and scrubby which I absolutely loved.

I have a few from this new batch, super soft gel like, for me it's not as satisfying. Still nice though but I would pick the older stuff all day.

There are other manufacturers that offer this type of hair in there current line up so I'm pretty happy.

I wonder, if Simpson will make them available broad again... we'll see, if Mark feels the urge to chime in... Angel
(07-20-2013, 10:15 AM)kentclark Wrote: Very well done, German. One of my favorite brushes as well. I didn't know about the change in availability through Simpsons only.

Thanks for the kind words....Blush
(07-20-2013, 08:43 AM)slantman Wrote: Fantastic collection and congratulations. This is unbelievable.

Yes, you should get a Chubby 2 in 2 band... a perfect brush... and then there is the MC, M7, 58, Chubby 3.... Thumbup

(07-20-2013, 06:49 AM)Johnny Wrote: Oh dear lord, I had to take a nitro pill. Give me oxygen.

I was doing alright with the beautiful pictures until I got the the Chubby 2. I covet, I desire, I want a Chubby 2 2-band and someday when I can afford one, I will have one.

Andrew down in Austin loaned me one for about a week and he came close to not getting it back.

I need to go watch a John Wayne movie now so I can relax.

31 1,554
 07-20-2013, 10:47 AM
User Info
(07-20-2013, 10:41 AM)German Wrote: You are right... there are other 2 bands that allow for more scrub/scritch... thankfully, we do not have all the same taste.... Cheers

(07-20-2013, 10:36 AM)Dipesh Wrote: Great collection there German.

Your right German. Such is the beauty of our hobby.

I think the main difference between the new and my favourite is just a thicker shaft. I guess some could be sensitive to scritch but I can't feel any.

I would never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever part with those.

7 1,179
 07-20-2013, 12:20 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Wonderful collection ... and nicely displayed, German. The CH2 is particularly tantalizing to my eyes! Biggrin

102 17,671