07-20-2013, 11:37 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Hello Straight Shavers. I'm sure we have crossed paths on the other threads. I finally have a reason to visit you fellas here. I had been interested in straights since I began my wet shave journey almost a year ago. I even bought a couple that are too dull to cut butter. I've cleaned them and oiled then to prevent any deterioration and put them away for another time when I can learn to appreciate them.

I'm sure most of you know about the Charles Monnisoer shavette pass around. Well my turn finally came up. So 20 minutes ago I had my 1st straight/shavette shave. 1st I'll talk about the shavette. It is closer in weight and feel to a real straight than any other shavette I have handled. (which are not many). The blade holder system is easy to manipulate. The scales are the same as a straight. The blade holder/faux blade is just a bit thicker than a straight.

In preparation for my turn I have been doing a bit of research and doing a bit of practicing with my dull razors just to get the feel and figure out how to reach all areas. The razor arrived on Friday right after I had showered and shaved so I got myself familiar with it in anticipation of my shave.

Well at 1AM Sunday morning I decided it was time. I did my usual prep of Clearly Natural soap followed by a hot towel. Then a few drops of Shave Secret oil followed by another hot towel. I made my lather a slight bit wetter than normal and the Prairie Creations soap gave me good slickness.

I concentrated on a light touch, and short strokes while stretching my skin to be as flat as possible. All the while watching my angle of attack which I kept to having the blade almost flat against my skin. When I was lathered up and ready, I decided to go right in. My WTG pass went pretty smooth. And at first I wasn't sure I was cutting anything. But rest assured I was. I figured out how to reach all areas without any incidents. I re-lathered and began my ATG pass. This also went well and I took my time and made sure I had some lather wherever I passed the edge. I have a right to left patch on my neck and that is usually my 1/2 pass. Trying to get across my neck from right to left proved to be quite difficult. I finally figured out how to get to most of it but in the process I managed to nick myself twice. No problem that a little styptic couldn't fix. One thing I found funny. When I tensed up before that splash of Aqua Velva I was surprised when there was almost no alcohol burn like I get with my SE's or DE's... Even though most of my face is very closely shaved... BONUS I think..

All in all I feel I did much better than I thought I would. For the most part I got a pretty good shave. I do feel a few spots that I didn't get as close as usual. Hey I'm happy I didn't bleed myself out. I intend to stay at it for at least 5 or 6 more shaves to see if it's for me. Then I'll pass it on. If it works out I may get me a Mr. Charlie and eventually have my old straights brought back to life. Then I guess I'll have to learn to strop and hone and spend a ton more money but hey. I'm worth it.... More to come.... HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151
 07-21-2013, 03:48 AM
User Info
Sav, the LOSERS mourn the loss of one of their own...to the straight razor.

Only kidding! Sounds like you had a good shave made possible by your methodical prep and patience.

47 1,270
 07-21-2013, 03:50 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Good show. You did well on your first straight shave. A little at a time and you'll get there. And, yes, bring your old straights back to life. Welcome aboard.

132 2,614
 07-21-2013, 05:51 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Congratulations SAV on your new adventure. Prep and patience is the way to go.

173 23,540
 07-21-2013, 05:31 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Glad to read your first straight shave was better than anticipated Cool

Blessings,
James

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

9 1,684
 07-27-2013, 07:16 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
So far 4 nice shaves with Mr. Charlie and no big problems. I don't get as close a shave as with my beloved SE's but they are DFS quality. And far less irritation than any razor with a handle. It's been the usual hot as hell down here and I usually get some irritation on my neck during the course of the day but not so after Mr. Charlie.

I tried to see just how sharp my new Gold Dollar is. It's got a keen edge but nothing like Mr. Charlie. It needs a bit of attention.

Also I still haven't figured out going from right to left on my neck yet. I pull the skin and get a bit closer but not as close as a safety razor. Oh well. I still think it's cool as hell shaving with a straight. I my begin to fly both ways...lol Single and Straight.... After I send Mr. Charlie on I'll give my final thoughts and perhaps purchase one of my own... HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151
 07-28-2013, 06:09 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
You're doing well. Stick with it.

It often takes a while (for some, a long while) before you get a straight shave as close as what you get from the razors you've been using and are accustomed to. Took me close to 100 shaves to get a consistent BBS and I still learn something new with each shave.

Tackle your straight shave like a series of little riddles. One for each section and growth direction. Put all the pieces together one by one.

Like you, my neck grows sideways. I've found that with a good stretch away from the direction of growth, I can get a BBS with an XTG pass. (Stretching the skin away from the direction of growth makes the whisker stand up, which is what you want. Stretching with the growth pattern makes hair lie flat. Not good if you're trying to cut it.

Have fun!

Posted from somewhere east of Montauk

33 914
 07-28-2013, 06:22 PM
User Info
Get some .25 or .125 micron diamond spray and touch up the Gold Dollar to get closer to the feel of a shavette's edge.

9 2,988
 08-02-2013, 06:43 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Well gang I had 7 shaves with the Mr. Charlie. He is going on to Long Beach in the morning. I've gotta say I think I did much better than I thought I would. I never got that BBS shave but each one was close and comfortable. Not much blood either. The worst was a small slice on my neck and that was me dropping my guard for just a second. I'm going to tune up my Gold Dollar and give it a whirl every now and again for sure.

What I got out of this.... Well I know I can do it with a straight. I really enjoyed shaving with Mr. Charlie even though I get a much closer shave with my SE's. I often thought about my Grandfather. I'm sure that was how he shaved. Will I forsake the Single Edge? I think not but I enjoy a Straight shave more than a DE. I want to thank Toby (Triad) for making this possible. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

So for now I will roll with the Gold and see where that takes me. Will I buy a Mr. Charlie.. Perhaps if I have some extra cash laying around. At least there is no stropping, honing etc. that comes with a straight. These are all new things that I'm going to have to learn....

5 1,151