14.81% of votes
Gillette Super Adjustable
7.41% of votes
* You voted for this item.
 07-21-2013, 06:32 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Hey Y'all-After getting more comfortable with soaps and brushes (much more fun testing to go), I am ready to acquire my first DE razor. I am looking at three options to start:

1. Inexpensive-Cadet/RazorRock/Lord
2. New EJ DE89
3. Vintage Gillette

I know I will have to perfect my technique and develop some new muscle memory. Do I go inexpensive to learn and then get "the razor" (I know-I will still probably end up with several Biggrin ), go with the EJ DE89 (or other) right away, or go Vintage with a Gillette?

For Vintage choices for a beginner, please vote in the Poll up above too.

Thanks for you patience and assistance. I know these questions are asked almost every day. I have been reading and searching.

Thanks,

Bob

4 2,382
 07-21-2013, 06:36 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Bob, I would go with the EJ DE89 series to start. They are great razors, quality built, and give an excellent shave.

As for as the old Gillette's, I cast my vote for the Tech.

173 23,546
 07-21-2013, 06:38 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Out of the choices you gave the Gillette Tech is a good option.

100 12,445
 07-21-2013, 06:49 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
If I had it to do over, I'd start with the Merkur 1904 OC. Extremely mild, very forgiving, shaves wonderfully close. Of your choices, the EJ.

17 544
 07-21-2013, 07:09 AM
User Info
I voted superspeed to start with because I haven't use a tech, and don't really like the slim. I should sell it.

The EJ DE89 is my 2nd favorite, right behind my Weber.

31 1,800
 07-21-2013, 07:09 AM
User Info
Bob, there is lot to say about personal preferences in every aspect of shaving equipment (see thread "How much YMMV varies?")

My vote would be for a pre-war Gillette Tech (denoted by triangular cut-outs in the base plate - between the handle and the top cap - as opposed to rectangular cut-outs) and/or a Gillette Old Type (thin, open comb head in a three piece razor). This would give you exposure to the milder and more aggressive ends of the spectrum, respectively, without being far to either extreme. Total cost would probably be around $30. Vintage razors have an appeal about them even beyond the usually more durable plated brass construct.

47 1,270
 07-21-2013, 07:29 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(07-21-2013, 07:09 AM)kentclark Wrote: Bob, there is lot to say about personal preferences in every aspect of shaving equipment (see thread "How much YMMV varies?")

My vote would be for a pre-war Gillette Tech (denoted by triangular cut-outs in the base plate - between the handle and the top cap - as opposed to rectangular cut-outs) and/or a Gillette Old Type (thin, open comb head in a three piece razor). This would give you exposure to the milder and more aggressive ends of the spectrum, respectively, without being far to either extreme. Total cost would probably be around $30. Vintage razors have an appeal about them even beyond the usually more durable plated brass construct.

Tom, would you happen to have picture examples of these two?

173 23,546
 07-21-2013, 08:03 AM
User Info
Cadets are a little agressive. I would go with an EJ DE89 or a vintage Gillette.

Even better would be a Shick Krona, dirt cheap on ebay, etsy, etc. and pretty much foolproof.

47 1,112
 07-21-2013, 08:52 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I voted for the Tech above. I still use one paired with a Goliath handle but they are great on their own for a new wet shaver. I will also throw in a Single Edge razor. Very smooth shavers. They are to be had for under $10 on e bay if you do a little searching. I suggest a GEM Featherweight. I started my son-in-law on one and he hasn't looked back. Keep us posted on your choice and also the results. Happy Shaves !!!!

5 1,151
 07-21-2013, 08:57 AM
User Info
(07-21-2013, 06:36 AM)Johnny Wrote: Bob, I would go with the EJ DE89 series to start. They are great razors, quality built, and give an excellent shave.

As for as the old Gillette's, I cast my vote for the Tech.

I agree completely with Johnny. The EJ is a good moderate razor with which to begin. And once you move to the Gillettes, I'd suggest the Tech too. Wait until you have enough experience to really appreciate them before trying the others.

184 12,003
 07-21-2013, 10:14 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
If you want to try out vintage razors a Tech or a Superspeed would be a good starting option also.

1 3,507
 07-21-2013, 04:44 PM
User Info
(07-21-2013, 06:32 AM)Coyote Wrote: Hey Y'all-After getting more comfortable with soaps and brushes (much more fun testing to go), I am ready to acquire my first DE razor. I am looking at three options to start:

1. Inexpensive-Cadet/RazorRock/Lord
2. New EJ DE89
3. Vintage Gillette

I know I will have to perfect my technique and develop some new muscle memory. Do I go inexpensive to learn and then get "the razor" (I know-I will still probably end up with several Biggrin ), go with the EJ DE89 (or other) right away, or go Vintage with a Gillette?

For Vintage choices for a beginner, please vote in the Poll up above too.

Thanks for you patience and assistance. I know these questions are asked almost every day. I have been reading and searching.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Skip all the usual suspects and start with something spectacular and inexpensive.

Merkur 25C/15C Open Comb

And whenever you meet someone who spreads fear or caution about these particular open comb razors,,... Than you know you are talking to someone who "Parrots what they read/hear" instead of "telling you about their experiences".

I had a Muhle R89 that I gave to a friend because I knew I'd never use it again after finding the 2010 R41 Muhle. The 2010 R41 used the same head Merkur still uses on the 25C and 15C.

Trust me on this one. 35 or 40 bucks separates you and shaving greatness.

And with the money you save get some Polsilver/Iridium blades.

1 622
 07-21-2013, 05:08 PM
User Info
(07-21-2013, 07:29 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(07-21-2013, 07:09 AM)kentclark Wrote: Bob, there is lot to say about personal preferences in every aspect of shaving equipment (see thread "How much YMMV varies?")

Tom, would you happen to have picture examples of these two?

Johnny, I can't get them tonight, but give me a day or two to update this post with a picture. The triangle cut-outs mean a more aggressive shave than the head with the rectangle cut-outs, the latter of which is one of the mildest razors I have tried.

47 1,270
 07-21-2013, 05:15 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I have the Merkur OC, Gillette Old Type, Gillette 3 piece Tech (1946-1950) and love shaving with all of them. I voted for the Tech in your poll, but I agree with olblueyez that Merkur is a great place to start. All the Merkur OC heads are the same, so get whatever handle you like. I put mine on a EJ Chatsworth handle, looks great and shaves great.

16 545
 07-21-2013, 05:22 PM
User Info
Picture "WIN"

[Image: 31st3uwqVjL._SX450_.jpg]

1 622
 07-21-2013, 05:51 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
No "WIN". Biggrin

I was referring to pictures of the old Gillette's Tom was talking about. But thanks for the Merkur picture anyway.

173 23,546
 07-21-2013, 06:59 PM
User Info
The tech is still one of my faves. English techs are very nice variants my OC preference is a Gillette New.

7 156
 07-22-2013, 01:23 AM
User Info
(07-21-2013, 05:51 PM)Johnny Wrote: No "WIN". Biggrin

I was referring to pictures of the old Gillette's Tom was talking about. But thanks for the Merkur picture anyway.

Massive "WIN"

[Image: fao19zv.jpg]

1 622
 07-22-2013, 01:47 AM
User Info
+1

By all means, go for the Merkur 25C

If you want a Gillette Closed Comb anyway, go for the Super Speed, IMO.

I had a Tech Ball End and I honestly enjoy the Super Speed much more (of course, the Fat Handle might prove to be a better option, but I wouldn't know about that).

Between a Gillette, a EJ and an unexpensive razor, EJ would probably be the safest choice.

(07-22-2013, 01:23 AM)olblueyez Wrote: Massive "WIN"

[Image: fao19zv.jpg]

0 124
 07-22-2013, 05:03 AM
User Info
I bought both the Merkur 34 HD and the EJ DE89 when I began my journey and I preferred the DE89. I still use it and gave away my Merkur.

11 87