07-21-2013, 04:15 PM
User Info
Most of us probably have people close to us that don't really "get" the interest in wet shaving, much less have any knowledge of the products we use. Last Christmas I requested any one of 3 Musgo Real shave creams: orange amber, oakmoss, or spiced citrus. What I received was a puck of Col. Conk Amber shave soap (which, of course, I graciously accepted). Apparently something was lost in translation.

Has anyone else received any similar...um...surprises?

0 57
 07-21-2013, 04:48 PM
User Info
Absolutely!

I am not ungrateful, so dont take this as such...but I usually know that my (grown) kids will get me something other than what I specifically put on a list. Or pick out cigars for me when I only wanted a gift certificate at the cigar shop.

Last year, everything I asked for was shave related...I got one thing that had to do with shaving that I did not purchase for my wife to give me.

My wife and I always try to get exactly what others want and we order/buy all but one of our own to each other just to see if we have been paying attention. Christmas before last, my wife heard me say several times I was having trouble with my cigar lighter, she went on her own into a shop and picked me up a cool 3 torch lighter, one of my best surprises in our 32 years of mairrage.

Me on the other hand, bought her a brown velour shirt one of our pre wedding Christmases that I do not live down to this day! Hence, that's one of the reasons we buy our own these days. Cool

31 1,800
 07-21-2013, 05:57 PM
User Info
(07-21-2013, 04:48 PM)Bowhnter Wrote: Absolutely!

I am not ungrateful, so dont take this as such...but I usually know that my (grown) kids will get me something other than what I specifically put on a list. Or pick out cigars for me when I only wanted a gift certificate at the cigar shop.

Last year, everything I asked for was shave related...I got one thing that had to do with shaving that I did not purchase for my wife to give me.

My wife and I always try to get exactly what others want and we order/buy all but one of our own to each other just to see if we have been paying attention. Christmas before last, my wife heard me say several times I was having trouble with my cigar lighter, she went on her own into a shop and picked me up a cool 3 torch lighter, one of my best surprises in our 32 years of mairrage.

Me on the other hand, bought her a brown velour shirt one of our pre wedding Christmases that I do not live down to this day! Hence, that's one of the reasons we buy our own these days. Cool

She's still thanking you for that velour shirt? I'll have to remember that for the upcoming birthday! Biggrin

0 57
 07-21-2013, 07:00 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
When it comes to shaving products I place the order and give the unopened box to my wife to either wrap what's inside or disperse to other family members to wrap. Sure I wind up buying my own (shaving) presents, but when it comes to shaving or booze, I'm too particular to leave it to chance. My one daughter always gives me Beefeater, so no worries with the booze gift.

0 204
 07-21-2013, 09:13 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I just tell everyone I want cash or something specific they won't have a problem understanding or finding..ie not really anything shave related. I don't particularly care for gift cards or certificates, I never really understood the purpose of them, other than stores/card companies hoping you might leave a couple of bucks or less on the card and never spend it, that adds up when you factor in the thousands of people that do. Dodgy The way I see it is, if you're not going to buy a gift, just give me cash so I can go anywhere I want and pocket any leftover amount. Tongue

31 1,510
 07-22-2013, 02:27 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
We tell the kids we need/want nothing except their time. The wife and I take $200.00 out of the bank and each of us gets $100.00 to buy anything we want.

173 23,540