02-25-2012, 11:40 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Has anyone here used the Feather Artist Club razor? I have not yet tried one but temptation is starting to get the better of me due to my good experience with the Cobra Classic. I would like to hear about others experience with this razor.

[Image: yhst-16445739206724_2198_1973440]

45 16,359
 02-25-2012, 10:46 PM
User Info
I have both the Feather AC RG and a SS. Both are very different beasts. The RG shaves like a 6/8 Square point. Feels good in the hands, nice weight. The SS is a whole different breed. Being that it is made for the Asian market, the blade holder is considerably lighter and smaller. The SS seems easier to really do some damage if not careful, I have nicked myself good a few times. Overall, these are both worth trying, they are excellent alternatives to traditional straights and with less maintenance and Feathers reputation for blade quality, they make straight razor shaving a little less time consuming. YMMV, but I find the Feather Super blades my cup of tea, though I have used the Kai Captain Milds with relatively decent results

0 37
 02-26-2012, 11:03 AM
User Info
I've been tempted by these too. Thanks for your opinion morganjg. I can feel a bit of AD kicking in again.......

1 345
 02-26-2012, 03:45 PM
User Info
I've used the AC razors - both the folding and the non-folding, and also the Kai Excelia razors.

These are nice razors, but they are not similar to the Cobra Classic (which I've also used), apart from using the same blades, of course.

The CC provides a safe® mode of using these blades, and it really tames things down. The Feather AC allows you to shave like you're using a straight, but that's not necessarily a good thing. You still need to skin-stretch etc., and the sharpness of the blades allows a very close shave, but it's not going to give you a shave that's any closer than what you get from the CC. It's just going to be more dangerous, and it's going to be awkward in places. However, if you're looking for a 1-pass shave, the AC is going to give you your best shot at it.

I use straights most of the time. A 'regular' straight has an edge that's not as sharp as the Feather AC blades, but I can tweak the edge to the point where it 'cuts hair, not skin'. You don't have that luxury with a Feather AC. If the blade encounters a bump, it mows it down.....with predictable consequences.

Every time I pick up a Feather AC, I'm astounded at the closeness of the shave, and I enjoy myself......right up to the point when I start on certain parts of my neck (a problem area), and the weepers sprout.

Anyway, that's my biased opinion. As I said, I like regular straights.

37 1,731
 02-26-2012, 03:50 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
yohannrjm Wrote:I use straights most of the time. A 'regular' straight has an edge that's not as sharp as the Feather AC blades, but I can tweak the edge to the point where it 'cuts hair, not skin'. You don't have that luxury with a Feather AC. If the blade encounters a bump, it mows it down.....with predictable consequences.

Thank you for the information...perhaps I would be better off learning how to use a regular straight. The no stropping or homing appealed to me but it sounds like it comes at a price.

45 16,359
 02-26-2012, 05:15 PM
User Info
I may just use what I already have after all. I'm allergic to blood.....when it's mine!

1 345
 02-26-2012, 06:28 PM
User Info
Well, I hate to dissuade anyone from trying something new. Remember that my recommendations are based on my own experiences, and you may react differently to these razors. Smile

----------

Phil,

Straight razor upkeep is not all that complicated. Stropping is easy (once you've had a bit of practice). Honing is unnecessary, to start with.

However, I'd advise anyone who's thinking of taking up straights to seriously consider why they're moving on to straights.

If it's for the experience and 'cool' factor, then I say 'Go for it!'.

If you think you're going to get better shaves than you do off a safety, then you might want to reconsider. You may match your DE shaves..........eventually (think months to years), but you're unlikely to get any closer shaves than a safety would give you (overall).

I find straight shaves to be the most comfortable of all, but I cannot do an ATG pass on my upper lip, for example. Now, the shave is still close enough in that area to get me through the workday without issue, but I can get a closer shave there with a DE. in fact, I'll sometimes use a DE to touch-up in that area.

I mostly only do a two pass shave with a straight (WTG, XTG - approximately). The shave I get is closer than I would with a 2-pass DE shave, and is more than acceptable for the day. My skin is sensitive, and I find this to be a very comfortable way to stay clean-shaven through the day without paying for it in skin irritation.

However, one of the reasons I don't do an ATG pass with a straight is because it can be hard in some regions of my face (like the upper lip). Also, when I go ATG I risk ingrowns - one of the reasons I abandoned multi-blade razors. With a DE razor, I can do an ATG pass without these risks (for the most part), and get a closer shave after three passes than I would get from a straight after two passes.

So I stick with straights because? 1) They shave me very well (since I don't obsess over BBS), and 2) They're fun!!

37 1,731
 02-26-2012, 06:39 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
yohannrjm Wrote:So I stick with straights because? 1) They shave me very well (since I don't obsess over BBS), and 2) They're fun!!

It is definitely the cool factor that is drawing me in as well as the challenge. I have no delusions about the shave itself...I know I cannot beat the shave of my DE razors.

45 16,359
 02-26-2012, 07:13 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Geofatboy using an Feather AC

<!-- m -->http://shavenation.com/index.php?main_p ... 014c3960af<!-- m -->

100 12,448
 02-26-2012, 08:41 PM
User Info
yohannrjm Wrote:If it's for the experience and 'cool' factor, then I say 'Go for it!'. =:

If you think you're going to get better shaves than you do off a safety, then you might want to reconsider. You may match your DE shaves..........eventually (think months to years), but you're unlikely to get any closer shaves than a safety would give you (overall).

So I stick with straights because? 1) They shave me very well (since I don't obsess over BBS), and 2) They're fun!!

I agree with the above! bn

I haven't used the Feather razors, although I have used a Parker SRW (shavette style) and my regular straight is definitely not as sharp as the DE blade in the Parker. With the Parker, I could get a very smooth shave in one WTG pass with very little touch up and stop there. With my regular straight, granted my stropping skills are weak, it takes me longer and I have to do both WTG and XTG and still do not achieve as smooth a shave as the Parker. But I don't think it is the razor's fault as much as it is my ability to keep it sharp. But for me, shaving with a straight ain't just about a smooth shave as it is about a smooth experience.

0 123
 02-26-2012, 10:01 PM
User Info
bullgoose Wrote:Thank you for the information...perhaps I would be better off learning how to use a regular straight. The no stropping or homing appealed to me but it sounds like it comes at a price.

There is a steep learning curve to the Feather AC. It was the first straight I learned on, as it seemed so easy since there was less maintenance. As others have pointed out, one wrong turn and that blade will find itself as deep as possible in your skin or lopping off a mole.. it happened on my first XTG pass. I dug that Super blade into my chin as deep as it would go because I wasn't stretching the skin enough. On that note, as I got better I turned to traditional straights and now use the AC on days I need a good 2 pass, but use traditional straights the rest of the time. The AC was my gateway drug, so to speak!

0 37
 02-27-2012, 01:48 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Phil:
I have the Feather Artist Club and enjoy an occasional shave with it. It's a great razor for what it is. Realize that the Artist Club is less forgiving than the regular straight. Of course, as long as you use care, you'll be fine. As a straight shaver for a number of years, what I recommend is this: If you really want to shave straight, try the genuine stuff. Might as well. Grab one of your Bokers, an Illinois 127 strop, and you're ready to go. I'll gladly guide you, my dear friend. Ah, go for the real stuff and embrace the full ritual of straight razor shaving.

132 2,614
 02-27-2012, 02:37 PM
User Info
Hello Obie,
I am glad you made it here. I lost your simplyshaving post regarding ones straight shaving debut, but I remember most of it. I have been searching the Sell/Trade forums and yesterday I missed a good deal by mere minutes. I am also waiting for a vendor to get more Dovo and Muhle straight razors in stock and will get one.
Thank you and koolereye for your advice and help.

7 358
 02-28-2012, 06:58 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Hello VerbaVolant:
You are more than welcome. If you need help or some humble advice, please feel free to send me a personal message. I'll be more than happy to help out.
Stay well.

132 2,614
 02-28-2012, 07:04 AM
User Info
Quote:Geofatboy using an Feather AC

<!-- m -->http://shavenation.com/index.php?main_p<!-- m --> ... 014c3960af

I never use both hands to shave with as I feel quite sufficient with my dominant hand on both sides of my face. How popular do you think switching hands is?

0 2
 02-28-2012, 07:38 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Obie Wrote:Phil:
I have the Feather Artist Club and enjoy an occasional shave with it. It's a great razor for what it is. Realize that the Artist Club is less forgiving than the regular straight. Of course, as long as you use care, you'll be fine. As a straight shaver for a number of years, what I recommend is this: If you really want to shave straight, try the genuine stuff. Might as well. Grab one of your Bokers, an Illinois 127 strop, and you're ready to go. I'll gladly guide you, my dear friend. Ah, go for the real stuff and embrace the full ritual of straight razor shaving.

I actually purchased a shave ready straight and a strop over a year ago so I should jump in and try it. Nothing to lose at this point. Your and others comments of the straight being more forgiving than the Artist Club has actually encouraged me to try the straight. I will definitely give it a try one of these mornings when I can afford a slow leisurely shave.

45 16,359
 02-28-2012, 07:58 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
bullgoose Wrote:

I actually purchased a shave ready straight and a strop over a year ago so I should jump in and try it. Nothing to lose at this point. Your and others comments of the straight being more forgiving than the Artist Club has actually encouraged me to try the straight. I will definitely give it a try one of these mornings when I can afford a slow leisurely shave.

Good for you, Phil. Yes, do give it a try. The straight razor comes with a world of colorful rituals, complementing the pleasures of it. I suggest switching hands, because your field of vision improves. Of course, there is nothing wrong with using only your dominant hand. I switched hands from the first shave and have not regretted it. To train my left hand, I used it for the mundane daily activities: opening doors, reaching for things, brushing my teeth, and so on. I still continue to use my left hand as much as I can to keep the muscles honed, so to speak. I switch hands even lathering. What fun. Any help I can be please drop me a note.

132 2,614
 02-29-2012, 07:56 PM
User Info
I switch hands too. Improves view and plain easier to get some areas shaved.

1 345
 03-01-2012, 07:42 AM
User Info
I've never used a disposable straight but when I made the switch it was traditional or bust for me. I found it only took about 10 shaves for me to reach the equivalent of what I was getting with my 2 pass wtg and xtg DE shaves. I now do 2 passes both North to South and have a closer shave and a more comfortable shave with the straight.

I've heard that the Kai blades are more forgiving than the feather blades if that helps someone sitting on the fence about the topic.

0 372
 03-01-2012, 08:36 PM
User Info
(02-27-2012, 02:37 PM)VerbaVolant Wrote: Hello Obie,
I am glad you made it here. I lost your simplyshaving post regarding ones straight shaving debut, but I remember most of it. I have been searching the Sell/Trade forums and yesterday I missed a good deal by mere minutes. I am also waiting for a vendor to get more Dovo and Muhle straight razors in stock and will get one.
Thank you and koolereye for your advice and help.

Not a problem at all VerbaVolant! Smile
Sorry for the late reply but I have not gotten set up properly on the forum yet in order to receive new posts.

(02-28-2012, 07:58 AM)Obie Wrote:
bullgoose Wrote:

Good for you, Phil. Yes, do give it a try. The straight razor comes with a world of colorful rituals, complementing the pleasures of it. I suggest switching hands, because your field of vision improves. Of course, there is nothing wrong with using only your dominant hand. I switched hands from the first shave and have not regretted it. To train my left hand, I used it for the mundane daily activities: opening doors, reaching for things, brushing my teeth, and so on. I still continue to use my left hand as much as I can to keep the muscles honed, so to speak. I switch hands even lathering. What fun. Any help I can be please drop me a note.

Once you get started Phil, I am sure you will be hooked.

As for Obie's comment about switching hands, it can definitely make things easier as you progress. Even though I have used both hands to shave even when I used cartridge razors, it wasn't until after I started using a DE that I found myself using my left hand to perform other tasks. And even more so now that I have been using a straight razor. Although I must commend Obie on brushing his teeth using his left hand; that still just feels awkward to me.Smile

0 123