02-28-2012, 09:08 AM
User Info
All,

I've been restoring brushes for the past few months, and I'm beginning to get a good handle on how to do it right. If anyone has any questions about brush restorations, shoot! I'll answer the best that I can.

Some quick imgur galleries for those who are curious:

My First restoration: Ever-Ready F40
2nd Restore: MadeRite
3rd Restore: Fuller Brush (and personal fav.)
Latest restore: Ever-Ready C40 Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3

The F40 and MadeRite are Silvertip badger brushes from Whipped Dog, while the Fuller and C40 are Super Silvertip from TGN. I have a few more brushes I'm planning on restoring, and I'll reply to this thread rather than opening new ones and spamming the board.

1 39
 02-28-2012, 11:34 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
pezhore Wrote:I've been restoring brushes for the past few months, and I'm beginning to get a good handle on how to do it right. If anyone has any questions about brush restorations, shoot! I'll answer the best that I can.

Hi pezhore

Excellent! to see you over here and sharing your shaving brush restoration experiences, knowledge, etc bn

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-28-2012, 12:07 PM
User Info
Good to see you here. Since watching your restores, I've brought this up to my brother as a potential hobby for him. The man needs a hobby (and a shave), and he's really handy with the tools and epoxy the process requires.

9 166
 02-28-2012, 12:15 PM
User Info
middlesmith Wrote:Since watching your restores, I've brought this up to my brother as a potential hobby for him. The man needs a hobby (and a shave), and he's really handy with the tools and epoxy the process requires.

The one thing I've learned is that brush restoration is pretty easy and requires little monetary investment. I would recommend picking up a handle off ebay for under $15, then getting a knot from Whipped Dog. Total cost should be under $30 assuming you already have the basic tools:

• Dremel with basic attachments[/*]
  • Power drill/drill press with various bits[/*]
  • 5 minute, clear drying epoxy[/*][/list:u]

If you want to get crazy, you can invest in a $7 Flitz polish and some 800, 1000, and 4000 grit sandpaper.

EDIT: Formatting

1 39
 02-28-2012, 01:31 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
*pointless check-in post*

10 1,858