07-23-2013, 02:23 AM
User Info
This is actually a PIF for a new member Coyote, but we want others to participate by helping him choose the shave sticks he wishes to have PIF'ed to him. Coyote is just starting out and recently got RR Fresco and a tub of Progreso. I have decided to offer him a PIF of two shave sticks. The Choices are Arko, La Toja, Palmolive EU, and Speick. He will get to select two shave sticks. We are asking that others give their opinions as to which two he should choose and why. Let's have some fun with it and hopefully we will have many to participate.

0 123
 07-23-2013, 03:50 AM
User Info
I'd say the Arko and the Speick. Arko is very polarizing on the scent, but better to find out if you like it sooner rather than later. And the Speick stick is just great.

10 2,062
 07-23-2013, 04:26 AM
User Info
Spieck is probably my favorite shave stick. Palmolive is good too...but I like the reasoning of taborcarn. You may as well try Arko because if you like it, it's cheap and readily available. Plus, if you hate it, it can help scare away roaches and mosquitoes.

0 64
 07-23-2013, 06:33 AM
User Info
Need to get around to trying my Speick stick. I would rank La Toja, Palmolive and then Arko although I really do enjoy them all. Easy to lather, unique scents (at least the first and last). I rank that order due to skin care...latherability and slickness are excellent across the board for me.

47 1,270
 07-23-2013, 06:47 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I say Arko and Speick.

Interesting and Different.

An Arko is very "polarizing" and before you buy a bunch of them you better know if you really like it or not.

1 819
 07-23-2013, 07:15 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
I would say at least Arko. I bought one stick in August and am still using it. While I don't use it every day, I must admit I love it. I was also sent a stick when I purchased some blades I think a few months ago. At this rate, I won't need another Arko stick for a couple yearsSmile Now if I can just find them on sale at under a buck a stickBiggrin

15 970
 07-23-2013, 07:54 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Tom-I really appreciate your doing this.

The rest of you pirates.....thanks for the great feedback so far!!

Bob

4 2,377
 07-23-2013, 07:59 AM
User Info
I have benefited from the kindness of members here and at other forums it is just my turn to step up to the plate in a small way and Pay It Forward. If you stay around long enough Coyote and I hope you do then I have no doubts you will PIF to someone new as a way to build their enthusiasm for shaving. Remeber you will still have to report on your experience with these shave sticks after you have tried each one. That is all I ask.

(07-23-2013, 07:54 AM)Coyote Wrote: Tom-I really appreciate your doing this.

The rest of you pirates.....thanks for the great feedback so far!!

Bob

0 123
 07-23-2013, 08:27 AM
User Info
As stick I've only used (I'm still using it in my rotation, indeed) La Toja and I must say it's really excellent for its, latherability, protection and scent.

0 31
 07-23-2013, 08:31 AM
User Info
Arko for sure - it's the one you either love or loathe. Not sure about which other one.

3 3,562
 07-23-2013, 09:07 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I'd say Speick and La Toja, both are excellent soaps in both scent and performance. Palmolive is nice but IMO it's too similar to Speick in scent.
Don't get me wrong, Speick smells better but there is a strong similarity and Speick lathers a bit better and is easier on the skin.
While I do enjoy Arko from time to time, it's too polarizing and there is a good chance he may not like it.

31 1,510
 07-23-2013, 09:53 AM
User Info
I'd vote for La Toja and Palmolive, primarily based on scent. I agree that Speick smells similar to Palmolive, but I find Palmolive's scent milder and am turned off by Speick. Arko dries me out.

2 129
 07-23-2013, 10:15 AM
User Info
La Toja is the best. I also enjoy Speick.

15 762
 07-23-2013, 03:39 PM
User Info
We will let this run a few more days then Coyote you can make your choice of the two shave sticks you would like.

0 123
 07-23-2013, 03:57 PM
User Info
Speick smells great and it's performance is too. Arkos latherability can't be denied and everyone should experience it, also to see what a water hog soap is like. So those are my picks.

Palmolive is a good performer, but I much prefer the scent of Speick. It's spicier or something. My nose sees it as less of a synthetic scent, or more complex- I dunno.

32 6,309
 07-24-2013, 11:12 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Y'all are making this tough! Biggrin

Who else wants to chime in and help with the decision???

Bob

4 2,377
 07-24-2013, 11:27 AM
User Info
All of the choices are excellent, and no matter what you decide on, I think you'll be happy.

Arko is a great latherer, but the scent can be off putting...still with its near mythic status it's impossible to not want to use it at least once. La Toja is great smelling stuff and lathers well. Palmolive is good stuff too, but I personally can not stand the scent. I've heard good things about Speick, but have not used it myself.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 07-24-2013, 11:41 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Arko and Palmolive are the only ones I've tried. I like them both. One of these days I want to try Spieck.

0 911
 07-24-2013, 11:50 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, I've used all four of these and this is my order of preference.

1. Speick
2. Arko
3. Palmolive EU
4. La Toja

And at this time the only two I use are the Speick and Arko.

173 23,508
 07-24-2013, 12:36 PM
User Info
OK. I've used them all, and here are my thoughts:

Arko, it seems sudsy to me. Like Williams is sudsy. The difference between Arko and Williams is that Arko doesn't take much effort to get it to lather. Arko's better than Williams, and just as inexpensive. I don't mind the fragrance of Arko soap.

La Toja, good lather and good fragrance. No complaints.

Palmolive, it's as good a soap (in my opinion!) as the vintage Yardley. They're both a creamy, almost buttery lather. At first I liked Palmolive's mild and generic soapy fragrance, but then I got tired of it, and no longer use it solely because of the scent.

Speick, one of the best. It lathers as well as Palmolive and that vintage one I mentioned above. I really like the scent and the performance of Speick soap.

Here's my order of preference (of these four):

1. Speick
2. La Toja
3. Palmolive
4. Arko

I have ample backups of Speick and La Toja on hand, so as not to run out any time soon. They're relatively inexpensive too.

24 1,150