04-15-2012, 04:18 PM
User Info
I received my first ever order from QCS yesterday morning which was the Vostok Shave Cream/Soap. Matthew at QCS guarantees it to be the best Menthol Blast compared to any other shave cream or soap that is on the market today. Well, I tried it and I can at least from my experience state that it does give a menthol blast that I compare equal to my Osage Rub. Here is the link to their web site and you can read the information and judge for yourself. QCS is offering a 15% discount on the Vostok that will end tomorrow so I encourage others who love that Arctic feel to consider Vostok! http://www.queencharlottesoaps.com

0 123
 04-15-2012, 04:23 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I dont like the menthol kick a lot,but I have heard from menthol lovers that Queen Charlotte is the ultimate soap for a serious and hard menthol kick.It seems that put Proraso to shame!
Thanks for your inputs about this soap.QC are making good stuff for sure.

86 7,123
 04-15-2012, 05:08 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Got mine a couple days ago and it has quite a powerful scent. Now I'm just waiting for a warm morning to try it out!

35 1,732
 04-15-2012, 08:17 PM
User Info
You talked me into it. I love menthol, so I just bought the Vostok shaving cream.

21 1,474
 04-15-2012, 08:20 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Intriguing..thanks for sharing. I think.

35 2,703
 04-15-2012, 09:14 PM
User Info
Vostok sounds wonderful! Love Peppermint and menthol. sounds great for summer. I may have to try.

2 805
 04-16-2012, 02:28 AM
User Info
QCS Vostok 15% discount is ongoing until April 23 and not ending today. I ordered the Vostok Shave Cream which the texture reminded me of Cella in the red tub and RazoRock Shave Soaps/Creams which I am a big fan. I got a 5 oz tub which is a large amount and should provide me with cooling relief during the long hot summer here in North Texas. I tried to load up some pictures of the lather I produced, but I am not the best when it comes to computers and it wanted a remote URL instead of letting me browse my computer for upload. I will say the lather was as good as any lather I have ever made since I started DE shaving in 2007 and it provided me with a BBS shave that was irritation free and my skin felt great afterwards. Some of the ingredients are Water saponified stearic acid, glycerin, saponified tallow, palm oil, olive oil, and coconut oil, aloe vera extract,essential oils, kaolin clay, menthol, and vitamin E.

0 123
 04-18-2012, 03:42 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I don't doubt even for a second that this Vostok stuff has strong menthol, but it would be pretty hard to beat JoAnna's (TSD) Iced Subzero soap or cream for the freeze, or this Colombian cream called DENU. Here is a photo of the DENU. Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

3 2,562
 04-18-2012, 04:27 PM
User Info
I just tried the Vostok this morning. It has a wonderful scent, a bit different than Joanna's TSD Iced Subzero. I tried it with cold water lathering and couldn't quite get the proportions correct. I will try with warm water tomorrow.

The menthol chill is definitely much less than Joanna's Iced Subzero and doesn't last as long. I really like the texture of the cream and the scent and will try it again.

21 1,474
 04-18-2012, 04:50 PM
User Info
Jeff,

I have tried a shaving sample of The Shaving Soap but it was not the Sub-Zero as I was not interested in the menthol sensation at that time. JoAnna does make a great soap and I have heard great things about the Sub-Zero. I really ordered from QCS because of Matt's description of the Vostok and I like that it had tallow. I also had never ordered or tried any of the QCS products. With the 15% discount that he was offering and with memories of the summer heat here in Texas from the past two years I decided to give it a try. Well, you can tell from my post that I have been more than pleased and I have used Vostok for my past 4 shaves and I am pretty sure that the menthol is creating an endorphin rush similar to what some people experience from eating hot peppers and spicy foods. QCS also included a small sample of Key Lime shave cream and this morning I decided to combine some of the Key Lime with the Vostok. They really complimented each other quite nicely and for an early morning shave it could best be described as Awakening, with a fragrance of Freshness. I have never heard of DENU but I am putting that on my list as I enjoy using both creams and soaps.

0 123
 04-18-2012, 04:52 PM
User Info
(04-18-2012, 04:50 PM)mctmatt Wrote: Jeff,

I have tried a shaving sample of The Shaving Soap but it was not the Sub-Zero as I was not interested in the menthol sensation at that time. JoAnna does make a great soap and I have heard great things about the Sub-Zero. I really ordered from QCS because of Matt's description of the Vostok and I like that it had tallow. I also had never ordered or tried any of the QCS products. With the 15% discount that he was offering and with memories of the summer heat here in Texas from the past two years I decided to give it a try. Well, you can tell from my post that I have been more than pleased and I have used Vostok for my past 4 shaves and I am pretty sure that the menthol is creating an endorphin rush similar to what some people experience from eating hot peppers and spicy foods. QCS also included a small sample of Key Lime shave cream and this morning I decided to combine some of the Key Lime with the Vostok. They really complimented each other quite nicely and for an early morning shave it could best be described as Awakening, with a fragrance of Freshness. I have never heard of DENU but I am putting that on my list as I enjoy using both creams and soaps.

Matt (QCS owner) makes a really nice Key Lime soap. When he got started I got a sampler set and that was my favorite.

1 2,827
 04-19-2012, 06:02 AM
User Info
I did a second shave with QCS Vostok with warm water lathering and warm water rinses between passes. I still am having trouble getting the lather right. It dries out too fast for me and I can't get stiff lather yet. I'm wondering if it is the tallow that I'm not used to lathering with? I am having to do a lot of brushwork to get it close to my usual lather. Should I work it up in a bowl?

I do get a good shave with it and this time with the warm water lather and rinses followed by cold rinse, that frigid feeling came through loud and clear. It is as iced as TSD and lingers for at least 15 minutes.

A very nice cream. I bought 2 of Vostok and would buy again from QCS.

Does anyone have suggestions about lathering better with tallow based creams? I'm really having trouble with it.

21 1,474
 04-19-2012, 08:09 AM
User Info
I have not had any problems with lathering Vostok. I posted pictures on Badger and Blade, but I am not sure exactly how to do that at this site. I use both a Badger and Omega 49 boar brush for my shaves. I use this method for both beginning with soaking my brush in hot water while I prep for my shave including using hot water on my face. I take my brush and give it a few shakes then begin to swirl it into the Vostok for about 15 to 20 seconds. Then I take my IKEA stainless steel bowl and add about a good tablespoon of water into the bowl (not exact measurements just eyeing it). I then take my brush began to swirl it several times into the IKEA bowl working my lather. If it is to thin I take my brush and swirl several times back into the Vostok container to load up more cream. I then work it back into the bowl until I have gotten the lather at the right stage for shaving. Hopefully others can chime in and maybe provide some pictures of their lather they have been able to create using Vostok. Some people say water that contains a lot of calcium (hard water) can make some soaps difficult to lather thus they keep a jug of distilled water on hand.

0 123
 04-19-2012, 05:24 PM
User Info
Thanks for the info. That was going to be my next experiment, lathering in the bowl. I don't have hard water and have no trouble lathering most any other soap or cream in hot or cold water. I have Cella and Vitos tallow based creams, but haven't attempted a lathering trial with them, yet.

21 1,474
 04-19-2012, 06:16 PM
  • sp514
  • Toronto, Canada
User Info
Gave in and ordered a tub. I'm excited! Biggrin

0 115
 04-20-2012, 06:42 AM
User Info
(04-19-2012, 06:16 PM)sp514 Wrote: Gave in and ordered a tub. I'm excited! Biggrin

When you try it let us know your thoughts on it. Did you order the cream or soap? I have been using Osage Rub as an aftershave splash so I feel like I have been riding the Arctic Express some mornings.

(04-19-2012, 05:24 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: Thanks for the info. That was going to be my next experiment, lathering in the bowl. I don't have hard water and have no trouble lathering most any other soap or cream in hot or cold water. I have Cella and Vitos tallow based creams, but haven't attempted a lathering trial with them, yet.

I have the red tub of Cella and I love the soap. In fact I plan on trying the combination of the Cella and Vostok for one of my morning shaves this weekend just for the fun of it. I have never tried Vitos, but I am a fan of the Italian Soft Soaps. Let us know if you see any progress with the lather of the Vostok or if you have any difficulties with the Italian Soft Soaps.

0 123
 04-20-2012, 04:47 PM
User Info
Matthew, I tried using the cream like a soap as you suggested and it worked much better. I think I will add water to the cream in the container next time as well. I still have trouble getting enough lather for 3 passes and getting it thick enough and keeping it from drying out. I really like it nevertheless.

21 1,474
 04-21-2012, 06:24 AM
User Info
Lindy, if you get a chance do a Google Search Marco lathering technique. Click on My lathering technique with Italian soft soaps. Marco provides excellent instructions to lathering soft soaps which can also be applied to the Vostok cream.

0 123
 04-21-2012, 12:05 PM
  • sp514
  • Toronto, Canada
User Info
Ordered cream, it won't be here for a while though, shipping to Canada takes long. Good thing it's still pretty chilly out.

0 115
 04-22-2012, 08:40 AM
User Info
mcmatt, thanks for the Marco lathering technique. It really works. The key is lots of water. I think I might have let too much water in, but it still worked. I just let the lather and water drip into the sink a bit and dipped the H.I.S. synthetic brush in again. I got a great lather. Now that I've got the Vostok working, I'll try my Cella and Vitos.

21 1,474