04-15-2012, 04:19 PM
User Info
Got this brush yesterday, I lathered it up and scrubbed the bristles on my hand, rinsed & repeated then gave it another lather up and left it sit for a number of hours. I do this with all new brushes to start breaking them in.

I rinsed and put it to work with some Pre de Provence and loved how well it worked up the soap. It was stiff, stiffer than my boar brush. This brush has plenty of backbone due to a very dense knot.

It worked the lather very nicely into my 10 days worth of growth. No scritchy feeling at all, felt great on my skin. After shaving I decided to try it with some ToBS to see how it lathered creams and was a little disappointed with the results, though it does work cream pretty decent palm and face lathering, just not a good bowl brush right now.

Given time to properly break in, I think this brush will be great. The Bee hive handle is very comfortable in my hand and the grip is great even if you get soap or cream on it. If you're like me and set the brush down on the sink between lathers, you'll love the wide base. It also looks great.

I think it's well worth the $50. My only wish is for just a bit more loft.
Next brush will be pure horse just to see and feel the difference.

Thanks to BGS for having such a great selection and very fast shipping. And also the complimentary blades, very strange that he sent blades I've never tried--and I've tried a lot.

9 451
 04-15-2012, 04:28 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks for your inputs,Johnny.
I had one of those brushes on my hands ( I took pics of them for BGS) and I was so surprise when I did notice the softness of its tips.I wonder what mix of badger hair does this brush has.I should ask VL about it.I dont think it was a lower badger hair like pure or best,but one closer to two band badger/super badger.

86 7,123
 04-15-2012, 04:35 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I have it as well, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it was Grey Badger hair, but I could easily be wrong.

35 1,732
 04-15-2012, 05:07 PM
User Info
I wonder what part of the horse they get the hairs from. My guess would be from just above the hooves. The tail and mane has very round hairs, like guitar strings. LOL

The badger I forgot to mention. Indeed the tips of this brush are soft. I never looked to see which type it was. Maybe someone will let us know.

edit: I looked last night and seen that they use the tail hail from a horse. I guess it must be the tips because they're not that fat. Also, the badger is gray badger.

9 451
 04-15-2012, 05:18 PM
User Info
Johnny,

I agree with you - this brush is very nice, but needs a few more mm of loft. That would really allow the knot to reach its best.

Also, the short loft just looks wonky at the moment.

37 1,731
 04-15-2012, 06:42 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(04-15-2012, 04:35 PM)Tonality Wrote: I have it as well, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it was Grey Badger hair, but I could easily be wrong.

Yes, the badger hair in the mixed brush is indeed grey badger.

45 16,352
 04-15-2012, 07:15 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I'm currently borrowing Sully's Horse/Badger and it's very nice indeed and much softer than I expected. I don't get a whole lot of scritch but the HH bristles do seem to add backbone, along with its relatively short loft - about 2-3 mm shorter than my dyed V-L horsehair only. If the brush were a little taller, I think it would take on a whole different personality!

35 2,703
 04-16-2012, 04:02 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Nice review, enjoy your brush.

1 3,507
 04-16-2012, 05:52 AM
User Info
I have one that I still have to get out of the box and start using. I've been using the dyed horsehair Beehive from Phil. I've been very surprised, and pleased with the backbone the brush has. The tips have a very light scritch, which is nice for face lathering soaps. If the mix is similar, it will be another excellent brush at a very nice price point.

34 122
 04-16-2012, 01:01 PM
User Info
Oh my, when I was at BGS last night looking for the hair info, I seen a boar/badger combo that I had to keep myself from ordering. I have never had any big interest in brushes, but I may be coming down with BAD. I really want that brush and a pure horse and another boar.... Oh yeah, and a genuine skunk hair brush! I can buy a skunk pelt if anyone knows how to make a knot. LOL

9 451
 04-16-2012, 02:50 PM
User Info
Welp, after a DFS I sat down and did the typical virtual shopping trip. I often visit sites and add things to the cart, sigh and close the browser. This time I went to pick up my glass of iced-tea and seen my wallet. I tried to avoid eye contact as I sipped the tea, but that damn wallet just refused to give up.

So I purchased items that I truly didn't need. Oddly I feel no remorse, yet fear the day the box arrives.
"You just spent $160 last week!", I can hear it now, but I have a solid retort.
"You just spent over $210 on concert tickets for you and your sister to see Stevie Nicks of all people. That concert should have been free at the local VFW!"

Ok, enough of the silliness.
I bought a Vulfix Boar & Badger brush, Omega Boar brush, Vie Horse brush, Floid Suave and some 4711.

Of course I blame all of you, damn enablers.

9 451
 04-16-2012, 06:04 PM
User Info
I hope you like that Vulfix 404 mixed brush more than I did. Mine was so needle-like and scritchy that I can't really use it. I will either sell mine or re-knot it Tieste style.

0 189
 04-16-2012, 06:35 PM
User Info
(04-16-2012, 06:04 PM)cvac Wrote: I hope you like that Vulfix 404 mixed brush more than I did. Mine was so needle-like and scritchy that I can't really use it. I will either sell mine or re-knot it Tieste style.

You know, I seen him rip the knot out of a brand new brush and wondered if the knot was any good. I have a tough beard and enjoy a brush that can take a beating. If it's rougher than the Vie horse/badger, it might get a new knot. LOL

9 451
 04-16-2012, 09:41 PM
User Info
Well done on the horse hair brush!

75 20,883