07-24-2013, 05:32 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I just received a Gold Dollar today that's shave ready and I'm wanting to begin playing around in the Straight box. The GD is pretty sharp but I need a decent strop before I get started. Also I've looked at lapping films so I can get my two old razors up to speed. I've read a lot about the films and didn't see any post's here about them both Pro's and Con's. I have a couple of nice pieces of granite I picked up on the job that I want to use as a backer.

Any suggestions on a strop and opinions on the lapping film would be appreciated. For the record I've been honing knives for years. Both for kitchen use and hunting. I can get a keen enough edge on those to take hair off my arms so I feel I have a bit of a head start enough to try my hand at a razor. Only drawbacks with rocks are they are pretty expensive. I would 1st like to try to go the cheap route.

Thanks gang. Looking forward to hearing from you

5 1,151
 07-24-2013, 06:09 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Hey Joe.... where you goin witj that straight in your hand Tongue

There are a couple threads here on The Nook that have some lapping film references... under some stone/hone discussions

If you want a head start reading before anyone responds here... try SRP forum under the Hone section.

Best to you on your straight journey!

Blessings,
James

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

9 1,684
 07-24-2013, 06:36 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
in my opinion, experience with sharpening knives doesn't carry over into honing razors nearly as much as I thought it would

I'm not enough of an expert to give any real tips there (though I will say this; I prefer the way a stone feels during the honing process, but I get more consistent results from lapping films).

Just wanted to comment on the strop question:
get something cheap to learn on, you will nick your first strop. Worry about getting something nice later

I've got an old Illinois #127 strop that I learned on (nicks have been sanded down). It's nothing special, but it did the job for me for quite a while. I'd be happy to pass it along to a beginner super duper cheap (like, shipping and a couple bucks to incentivize me to drive to the post office lol). PM me if you're interested Biggrin

10 411
 07-24-2013, 07:25 PM
User Info
(07-24-2013, 05:32 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: I just received a Gold Dollar today that's shave ready and I'm wanting to begin playing around in the Straight box. The GD is pretty sharp but I need a decent strop before I get started. Also I've looked at lapping films so I can get my two old razors up to speed. I've read a lot about the films and didn't see any post's here about them both Pro's and Con's. I have a couple of nice pieces of granite I picked up on the job that I want to use as a backer.

Any suggestions on a strop and opinions on the lapping film would be appreciated. For the record I've been honing knives for years. Both for kitchen use and hunting. I can get a keen enough edge on those to take hair off my arms so I feel I have a bit of a head start enough to try my hand at a razor. Only drawbacks with rocks are they are pretty expensive. I would 1st like to try to go the cheap route.

Thanks gang. Looking forward to hearing from you

Go to http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....ilm+try+it

Badgerandblade has several threads with many pages of posts on the particulars of lapping film use in honing. I think it's the easiest way to hone a full hollow straight razor. I have a "marble" one foot square (any surface that's smooth will work, glass plate, etc.). I cut a 3 inch wide strip of film, squirt water on the marble, place the film, squirt water on the top of the film(bottom either has paper or is glossy) and hone away. You can keep a straight going with 3 and 1 micron film, but I've honed razors from setting the bevel with 12 to 15 micron, then 9, 5,3, 1, .3 and then .3 again with paper underneath.

No need to do X laps or circles but you can if you want.

As for strops, I bought cheap strops and messed them up at first, but I still nick my more expensive ones from time to time (you can sand out the nicks). I think you can start with a moderately priced one, instead of a cheap one that doesn't give you a good stropping experience. I used Larry's Whipped Dog poor man's strop ( a narrow leather strip) briefly and just didn't like it. I prefer horse butt strops from Walkin' Horse, Kangaroo (fast) from SRD and now my Tony Miller Strops, especially Old Heirloom No. 2. Tony has an Apprentice Steerhide at a reasonable cost and some practice ones as well that I'd recommend for beginners or old timers, instead of getting any old piece of leather.

21 1,476
 07-27-2013, 07:25 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Thanks Gents for your suggestions. I'm going to do the deed with Daryl and I also found a place that sells single sheets of film. You can get an entire set for $12.00 plus shipping.

http://www.fiberoptics4sale.com/c/3M-Lap...Sheet.html

That's on the agenda in a couple weeks. I have 2 old straights that I picked up last September that need the bevel set and to be honed. I'll get me some practice in with those. Plus the strop from Kavik79 and I should be good to go.

5 1,151
 07-28-2013, 02:02 PM
User Info
There aren't a lot of cons to lapping film other than the fact that it's basically wet/dry sandpaper and needs to be secured to a base. You can make a pretty good rig for the film and approximate the feel of a stone.

The finish won't be the same as natural stones, but nothing synthetic is.

9 2,988