07-24-2013, 06:36 PM
User Info
I bought two tubs of Tabula Rasa shave soap (Deep Lavender and Olibanum) and one puck of Petal Pusher Fancies Sandalwood from beartrap last Friday and tried the Olibanum and the Sandalwood this morning. Both soaps have unusual but intriguing scents.

The TR Olibanum (Frankincense) ingredients are: Aqua, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Cocos Nucifera Oil,, Argania Spinoza Kernel Oil Hordeum Vulgare Wax, Butyrospermum Parkii Extract, Mangifera Indica Butter, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide,, Sodium Borate. Made in Germany.

The Petal Pusher Fancies Dandy Candy Kokum Shaving Cake Sandalwood ingredients are: Pure Kokum Butter, Organic Mango Butter, Organic Avocado Oil, Organic Castor Oil, Essential Oils, Fragrance. Made in the USA.

Since I started wet shaving, I've developed a cheek rash or irritation and thought it was poor technique, too much pressure or too many passes. I've tried many soaps and creams and love them all, but still get the irritation. I cold water shave to calm the irritation.

After shaving with both the Deep Lavender and Sandalwood, I have had no irritation. My face felt smooth with a comforting, cushioning, protecting lather shave. This makes me think I'm allergic to some ingredients in the main stream soaps and creams.

Both of these soaps lather easily. The lather wasn't thick but didn't need to be. I didn't take a lot of time trying to get perfect lather, so probably could produce thicker, wetter lather, if I tried. My straight razor glided through this lather.

Next I'll try the Barrister & Mann Soaps. I just received three pucks today.

Let me know your experiences with Tabula Rasa and Petal Pusher Fancies.

[Image: DJOrYlx.jpg]

[Image: mtBRkSq.jpg]

21 1,478
 07-25-2013, 04:54 AM
User Info
I had my second great shave with the Petal Pusher Sandalwood this morning. I have to say it only got better the second time around. I think this soap will see a long stay in my rotation. For less than $15 in a tin, I highly recommend this fantastic soap.

0 19
 07-25-2013, 05:25 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've never heard of the Petal Pusher brand but I've had good luck with the Tabula Rasa line of soaps.

173 23,553
 07-25-2013, 06:02 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I had not hear of Petal Pusher brand either and the other two soaps are suppose to be pretty good and are on my list of soaps to buy.Biggrin

1 819
 07-25-2013, 07:52 AM
User Info
I had only heard of Petal Pusher recently because of the BST listing and then I googled it and saw rave reviews on other forums.

21 1,478
 07-26-2013, 05:20 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I, too, have not heard of or used Petal Pushers.

I CAN and do say that the TR is excellent. I know little of Argan oil, which it contains, other than its supposed to be good for the skin.
Here's a Wikipedia excerpt:

"In cosmetics, argan oil is advocated as moisturizing oil, against juvenile acne and flaking of the skin as well as for nourishing the hair. This oil has also medicinal uses against rheumatism and the healing of burns ... Externally, argan oil is used ... for hair as brilliantine, to fortify and ... in the treatment of wrinkled or scaly dry skin".

TR is a fine product. I think for those, like lindyhop, who have skin issues, it would be a fine choice.

MaxP

47 1,378
 07-27-2013, 04:54 PM
  • moallen
  • Bellevue, WA USA
User Info
I recently tried Petal Pusher Fancies in unscented. It's not listed on the website, but you can ask for it in the special instructions.

Nice creamy lather, pleasant botanical smell, gentle on my rosacea-prone face. It is a good soap, perhaps not one of my all time favorites yet, but I'm keeping it in my rotation.

4 682
 07-28-2013, 09:25 AM
User Info
I like the scent of the TR Olibanum, but I find that with my solid bar razors, such as the Rotbart, it clogs the razor unless I use so much water that it becomes almost runny; and while providing adequate cushion, its glide is only fair to poor.

184 12,003