07-24-2013, 07:09 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Just picked up a new razor from theBay, hasn't arrived yet, but I thought I'd get a couple questions out there

Based on the pics, description and age I'm pretty sure they're Ivory, though I don't own any so I'm no expert

Question is, there's a crack near the wedge pin, seller says it's stable.....but is there anything I can do to assure it doesn't loosen up or spread?

And, just for curiosity sake, did I do alright price-wise at $75? I'm not upset at the price, but was surprised I was the only bid lol

early 1790-1810 straight razor clark & osborn stub tail natural handle not bone!
based on some info I found, the description is a little off on the age. From what I hear they were only Clark & Osborn from 1822-1832

[Image: $(KGrHqZHJEUFGKTmHB-eBRppHVcI3w~~60_12.JPG]

10 411
 07-24-2013, 07:32 PM
User Info
I'm not sure it's ivory. It could be bone, but I'm no expert either. You can google search how to tell, if it's ivory. eBay even has a page about ivory. I think there's a hot pin test and a microscope test for Schreger lines. I think there should be concentric circles under a loupe.

I think it's a nice razor. The crack around the pin looks stable enough and isn't at the pivot pin, so that's a plus. A nice Sheffield faux frameback with a big smile. It will be interesting to hone. There may be a small chip the edge approaching the toe. The honer could smooth that out.

I was wrong. There are not concentric circles in ivory. With bone, you'll see little holes that are canals for nutrients to living bone.

Here are a couple of images seen under a magnifying glass of ivory showing the Schreger lines.

[Image: fVtXQLO.jpg]

[Image: mjuhAlq.jpg]

21 1,474
 07-24-2013, 07:56 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Yeah, I thought the speckling instead of wavy lines looked a bit like bone, but it appears to be a smooth surface if you look at the zoomed in pics in the link, and I did find some pics of ivory where the markings look similar to this. I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the angle it was cut at? But that's just a guess

Also, this pic shows how thin it is. I've seen similar with ivory, never with bone
[Image: $(KGrHqFHJFYFGWM7O,QoBRppHRTT9!~~60_12.JPG?rt=nc]

10 411
 07-24-2013, 08:33 PM
User Info
You're right. That is thin and probably is ivory then. The cut does make a difference and the photos aren't magnified, so wouldn't show the lines.

I would just use the scales as they are. I've read horror stories about when people try to "restore" them. Just polish the blade and get it honed and let us know how it shaves.

21 1,474
 07-24-2013, 08:44 PM
User Info
I'm 100 per cent sure those are ivory scales, what I would do to stabilize the crack firstly unpin the razor give the scales a clean up plus the blade, now using epoxy glue I would glue and lightly clamp the original wedge to the cracked scale, allow to dry reassemble with new pins and washers, be warned old ivory can be very brittle so take care.

Jamie

5 1,805
 07-24-2013, 08:56 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
(07-24-2013, 08:44 PM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: I 100 per cent sure those are ivory scales, what I would do to stabilize the crack firstly unpin the razor give the scales a clean up plus the blade, now using epoxy glue I would glue and lightly clamp the original wedge to the cracked scale, allow to dry reassemble with new pins and washers, be warned old ivory can be very brittle so take care.

Jamie

I was afraid that was going to be the answer someone gave LOL
I'm not sure I wouldn't crack it again re-pinning it. If it's not as stable as the seller says I might just tuck it away until I have some more experience

10 411
 07-25-2013, 01:41 AM
User Info
 07-25-2013, 04:53 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Send it to Mark for a reconditioning. It will come back looking almost like new.

173 23,508
 07-25-2013, 05:19 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
oversaturn, interesting guide, thanks Biggrin

Johnny, Mark certainly does make them look good, but I enjoy cleaning them up myself Shy
Of course, I need to see it in person before I decide for sure, but I don't know that I want to make this one look like new. I don't see any active rust in the pictures and I kind of like the patina on this one

Should be arriving today, then I can see for sure about some of these things. Thanks all for helping me figure out what I should be looking for and what I might be in for work-wise Biggrin

10 411
 07-25-2013, 06:03 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Get it shave ready and let us know how it goes.

1 819
 07-25-2013, 02:01 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
it's here...

the wedge end does seem solid, but there's a little orange rust under the scales by the hinge pin, and that pin is super loose. Looks like it may be getting un-pinned and reassembled after all. gonna just tuck it away for now and get some more practice in on crappier ones first, it wouldn't be the first set of scales I've cracked while pinning Blush

10 411