07-25-2013, 07:57 AM
User Info
I've never owned a Simpson brush but since my birthday is just around the corner, I'm thinking of treating myself to one.

I keep hearing that the "Best" badger is the way to go. But never having experienced a Simpson, how does their Best grade badger compare to, say, a Rooney silivertip?

I don't care for any scritch, I like soft if that's any help in figuring this all out.

Thanks in advance and enjoy those shaves.

4 952
 07-25-2013, 08:11 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
Simpson's Best and shavemac's Finest are imho very similar. Good quality, good bang for the buck.

Never had a Rooney, so I can't say anything how they compare.

0 229
 07-25-2013, 08:25 AM
User Info
In my experience not as soft as Rooney Silvertip...
If softness is the key criteria, then within Simpson it is 2 Band (I would rate that above their 3 Band Super). YMMV

31 1,554
 07-25-2013, 08:31 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(07-25-2013, 08:11 AM)Elbe Wrote: Simpson's Best and shavemac's Finest are imho very similar. Good quality, good bang for the buck.

Never had a Rooney, so I can't say anything how they compare.

In my opinion the simpson's best has soft tips and the shafts have a springiness to them. I also like Shavemac finest, but to me the hair does not have the same springiness as the best. The finest has a very luxurious feel and to me feels more like Simpson's 3-band super than best. My favourite badger is Simpson's best and I really like my Simpson's Colonel.

5 760
 07-25-2013, 08:36 AM
User Info
(07-25-2013, 08:25 AM)German Wrote: In my experience not as soft as Rooney Silvertip...
If softness is the key criteria, then within Simpson it is 2 Band (I would rate that above their 3 Band Super). YMMV

+1

75 20,883
 07-25-2013, 08:45 AM
User Info
The Simpson best brushes I've had are not as soft as Rooney super. They do have a unique feel to them and I enjoy using my Duke 3 often. I've not tried other grades as the best badger is good enough for me. Simpson handles are top notch.

15 762
 07-25-2013, 08:47 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Best is very good and some are softer than others, just depends on which Simpsons Brush you get. But my next Simpsons will either be a Duke 3 or a Chubby 2 in 2-band.

173 23,553
 07-25-2013, 10:21 AM
User Info
If you do not care for scritch, the Simpson Best hair is not a good choice. Some of the brushes in Best are soft, but some are very scritchy - I sold one because of this, but have another one I kept because it was OK. Go with their 2-band Super hair instead, or if this is too expensive, the Rooney Silvertip is very nice.
Shavemac Finest is better than the Best grade.

0 163
 07-25-2013, 10:49 AM
User Info
The Berkeley in Best you can email Phil and he'll pick one out!!Im not certain of this but hes a great vendor none the less.

7 156
 07-25-2013, 11:16 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Rooney (or the re branded brands like T&H or TOBS) silvertip brushes are a little bit softer than the Simpson best badger , but it depends on the batch too.I have a Simpson Duke 3 in best which is softer than any of the T&H (re branded Rooneys ) in silvertip I have and with better backbone and flow , even when the loft is higher.

Anyway , I can honestly recommend a Simpson Colonel ("best bang for the buck" in the Simpson best badger range , for my taste) , or a Simpson Duke 3 in best badger with no hesitation at all
However , as the other members have pointed , shavemac offers the finest grade , which is a very nice grade of badger hair and not very expensive compare to the regular silvertip or silvertip D01.

86 7,124
 07-25-2013, 11:27 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I will reiterate what some have already said here. I have owned 9 Simpsons brushes in Best. Two of them were too scritchy for me. Most of them have super soft tips with more backbone than Simpsons 3-band Super. A couple of them are so close in appearance and feel to Super, they might as well be.

Any vendor who sells a lot of Simpsons and looks at the brushes they sell will be able to pick out a Best on the Super end of the spectrum for you. I highly recommend checking out thesuperiorshave.com - the proprietor takes photos and posts measurements of all of the brushes (with a couple exceptions), and he can reliably direct you toward a Best that suits your preference. There are several other excellent vendors that sell Simpsons brushes. Do not be shy about asking them to select one for you.

Finally, you can always contact Mark Watterson at Simpsons. He is very accommodating and will offer to select you a fine example of Best in whatever style you choose.

43 1,690
 07-25-2013, 11:33 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I think you will find people's experience with Simpson's Best to be varied because the consistency of the hair itself varies. I have three Simpson Best, all of which are very enjoyable to me, but in feel they are all quite different. My vintage 58 is the softest, feels silvertip soft with moderate backbone. My Rover is just as soft with a higher density and thus more backbone. My Berkeley 46 has the slightest detectible scritch, but not enough for me to dislike the brush (and I am very sensitive to scritch). The backbone on the B46 is on par with the vintage 58. I have owned a Rooney 3/2 silvertip that had more scritch than any of my Simpson Best and also a Rooney 1/1 and 1/2 silvertips that are both softer so I think it is a crapshoot regardless of manufacturer because hair quality will differ from batch to batch.

127 2,393
 07-25-2013, 04:01 PM
User Info
Anyone have a recent Fifty Series "Best Badger"?

I have been eye ballin the 59. The Germans drive me up a wall with all the bulb vs fan blah blah blah,,...

I also like the nice big handle on the 59.

1 622
 07-25-2013, 04:26 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
(07-25-2013, 04:01 PM)olblueyez Wrote: Anyone have a recent Fifty Series "Best Badger"?

I have been eye ballin the 59. The Germans drive me up a wall with all the bulb vs fan blah blah blah,,...

I also like the nice big handle on the 59.

Yes, and they're excellent. Nice soft tips with a hint of scrub in a great hybrid fan shape. It's not as fan shaped as a Rooney, but it's not close to a bulb either.

0 1,136
 07-25-2013, 04:50 PM
User Info
The 50s series are beautiful share a pic when you get something.

7 156
 07-26-2013, 04:39 AM
User Info
The Simpson Duke 3 is a great brush in Simpson's best hair. Great backbone, a little scritch and will break in nicely with about 2-3 weeks use.

21 459
 07-26-2013, 09:04 AM
User Info
Thanks for the replies/info folks. Think I'm going to pass right now though.

4 952
 07-26-2013, 09:46 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(07-25-2013, 08:47 AM)Johnny Wrote: But my next Simpsons will either be a Duke 3 or a Chubby 2 in 2-band.

Excellent Choices. I have both. You won't be disappointed in either. If I had to choose, the D3 is a bit more versatile.

MaxP

47 1,378
 07-27-2013, 06:22 AM
User Info
I have over a dozen brushes and have had many more that have come and gone. Most of which are 2-band (M&F, TGN, etc.) but one of my favorites is a recent vintage Simpson 58 in Best.

It's what I'd call a well balanced brush. Good backbone, excellent flow-through, soft but with a hint of scritch and the most comfortable handle of any I know.

Highly recommended!

2 202
 07-27-2013, 02:21 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I'll try my BEST to describe my experience with Simpson's Best grade badger hair. As others have mentioned in prior posts...there is quite a bit or bunch of variance with this grade and specific manufacturer. If I ignore all the possible differences that can occur in a natural sourced animal hair, hand made variances and approx. 90 years worth of specimens that Simpson has produced under the same "Best grade" title...then maybe a description is possible?!?! I have walked away from describing "Best Grade" as a whole, and instead have found more consistency amongst the time period with which the brush was produced and more consistency with each specific model of Simpson brush. That being said, I have spent hours picking out brushes and comparing models different & alike. I realized this when I picked out my very first Simpson...KH2 in Best...with about 100 diff. Simpsons in front of me, I managed that first day to pick the KH2 best by doing side to side comparisons with probably fifteen diff. brushes!?!?!(15 already reduced from about 50 possibilities that day) Just like other people in this forum have said, even when comparing three KH2's in Best all from a similar time period of production, I saw three slightly different size knot specs, diff. hair color, diff. density and in the end one KH2-Best that looked and felt so close to "Super Grade" that it became my first choice/purchase for a Simpson Best badger brush. Now between different models the variances only grow! Diff. shaped knots, some w/creamier colored tips, some with chestnut colored hair, some with slightly darker tips. Also some "Best" Simpsons have a lil' scritch, a bit more scritch, and finally NONE at all(scritch/scratch). This is why I love to have the option to compare these brushes and their unique characteristics right in front of, and on my face! In the end there is only one definite thing I've learned...Don't try and create a hypothesis/opinion and then try to remove the ridiculous number of variables out of the equation in order to reach a scientific Fact! Not going to happen with Simpson's Best grade! Maybe the Two-Band super, or Machurian, but even those grades as others and myself have noticed have enough "natural variation" that it may be a complete waste of time to try and give "one all encompassing" description for any Simpson gradeHuh Add to that everybody's IMHO's & YMMV'sBox
-BB

4 792