07-25-2013, 06:21 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Say you had to settle with one Cologne type for a year, what would it be? I have saw that a lot of the more expensive companies like T&H, TOBS makes colognes. I guess those are the ones I have saw. Let's just say my rotation of cologne has been Polo, Polo Blue, Aqua Di Gio, Lacoste, and a great cologne that I love named Kira from a clothing line. I however would like opinions on some other options as I look to dabble into the world of fine smelling things executive type men wear.

15 970
 07-25-2013, 07:21 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
You are out of my league. I am a simple after shave man.

173 23,494
 07-26-2013, 04:26 AM
User Info
I use only one EdT - Hermes Terre d'Hermes. My feeling is that your EdT/aftershave/EdC should be a "signature" scent and that you should have only one (not to mention that having several EdTs gets pretty costly).

Until about two years ago I only used Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue. I tend to like aquatics, but for some reason it turned on me and I could smell "synthetic" notes. So I went on a quest for a new scent, trying Penhaligon's, GIT, and others. I don't like musks, anamalics, or other similar scents, because they have too heavy a presence. Also, I found GIT too overpowering. But when I found T d'H, it was light and airy, but also flinty and mineraly, with light aquatic and citrus notes (sort of like smelling a grapefruit on a beach dune). It lacked a heavy presence, smelled natural, and just unique enough (no GIT or GIT clones like Cool Water) to become my "signature" scent. Plus my wife likes it!

72 1,407
 07-26-2013, 04:36 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen, since we're focusing on one aftershave/cologne, make mine Spanish Leather by Truefitt & Hill.

132 2,614
 07-26-2013, 05:27 AM
User Info
haven't tried T & H but I would choose Trumpers Spanish Leather

11 87
 07-26-2013, 05:40 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I wouldn't know as I am currently trying to find the right scent for me. I have bought some good stuff and some really cheap stuff so I am still looking into it.

There are several factors to consider - scent, High Notes, Middle Notes, Low Notes, Longevity, how strong the scent is and if I would like it over a long time.

At the moment I would have to say D.R. Harris - Arlington.

1 819
 07-26-2013, 06:32 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(07-26-2013, 05:27 AM)stellafella Wrote: haven't tried T & H but I would choose Trumpers Spanish Leather
Yes, stellafella, the Trumper version is lovely, too. Both have sweetened my shave den for years. The Truefitt & Hill version is a bit more complex with a hint of citrus. The Trumper version adds a clean soap note to its fragrance. Love both of these aftershaves. Good stuff.

132 2,614
 07-26-2013, 08:23 AM
User Info
I will check out the T & H, I appreciate the mini review!

11 87
 07-26-2013, 09:46 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Well right now all I'm using is a splash of TN Dickinson's Witch Hazel and Kramper's Frostibe for an A/S. However it's been a while since I've used any type cologne so I guess I'm looking to get back into the Cologne department without smelling like a 15 year old school boyBiggrin

15 970
 07-26-2013, 08:40 PM
User Info
I'll divide it into both.

Aftershave

Floid Blue.

Cologne

For now, Hylnds Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake. However, like Grumpy, I'm still searching for my signature fragrance. Have high hopes for some of the creations from Slumberhouse.

5 407
 07-27-2013, 11:41 AM
User Info
(07-26-2013, 08:40 PM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: I'll divide it into both.

Aftershave

Floid Blue.

Cologne

For now, Hylnds Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake. However, like Grumpy, I'm still searching for my signature fragrance. Have high hopes for some of the creations from Slumberhouse.

Since this question kinda fits in and the opportunity presented itself: Spanish Leather is going to be my signature scent, which of your soaps would YOU pair with Spanish Leather?

2 52
 07-27-2013, 05:19 PM
User Info
(07-27-2013, 11:41 AM)for my son Wrote:

Aftershave

Floid Blue.

Cologne

Since this question kinda fits in and the opportunity presented itself: Spanish Leather is going to be my signature scent, which of your soaps would YOU pair with Spanish Leather?

I'd say that the Bay Rum probably would pair best, but I would also say that the upcoming "Nocturne" fragrance, which will consist largely of notes like woodsmoke and ginger with only a touch a sweetness, would pair even better. Nocturne will be released on the first day of Autumn. Thanks for your interest!

5 407
 07-27-2013, 08:04 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
"Executive" type... Oh My!!! Guess you have me there. I'm a Carpenter by day and a Musician on weekends. I don't even know any executives...lol If I had to stick with any one of my low class after shaves that I currently have I'd say my favorite scent is Aqua Velva Musk.... I'd put that stuff up against any one of the "high dollar" colognes that I used to use...

5 1,151
 07-28-2013, 10:21 AM
User Info
(07-27-2013, 05:19 PM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote:
(07-27-2013, 11:41 AM)for my son Wrote:

Aftershave

Floid Blue.

Cologne

I'd say that the Bay Rum probably would pair best, but I would also say that the upcoming "Nocturne" fragrance, which will consist largely of notes like woodsmoke and ginger with only a touch a sweetness, would pair even better. Nocturne will be released on the first day of Autumn. Thanks for your interest!

Thank you for your input. You just guaranteed a life-long customer. You exemplify why I love this forum and small manufacturers.

2 52
 07-28-2013, 05:19 PM
User Info
(07-28-2013, 10:21 AM)for my son Wrote:
(07-27-2013, 05:19 PM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote:
(07-27-2013, 11:41 AM)for my son Wrote: Since this question kinda fits in and the opportunity presented itself: Spanish Leather is going to be my signature scent, which of your soaps would YOU pair with Spanish Leather?

Thank you for your input. You just guaranteed a life-long customer. You exemplify why I love this forum and small manufacturers.

The pleasure is mine. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance or if you have any other questions. Happy shaving!

5 407
 07-29-2013, 09:09 PM
User Info
Floid Blue.

0 53
 07-30-2013, 06:07 AM
  • jcmy53
  • Cincinnati, OH
User Info
Acqua di Parma Colonia

13 2,105
 07-30-2013, 06:58 AM
User Info
As an aftershave man only, my choice is Myrsol Blue.

Frank

2 229
 07-30-2013, 07:22 AM
User Info
I'm unable to use colognes and EdTs because they give me a rash, but among aftershaves, my desert island one would be vintage Penhaligon's Lords.

183 12,002
 07-30-2013, 07:24 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Aftershave

Floid Blue

Cologne

Burberry Touch

45 3,955