07-26-2013, 07:29 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen:

Through the years I have converted scores of people to wet shaving with the straight razor or double edge. Mostly to the double edge, I should add, since most men fear the straight razor. Best of all, some in my immediate family have left their sinful ways and now wet shave with the double edge.

Everyone is happy with his or her razor and products.

For the dearly beloved, I restored a Gillette flare tip from the early sixties. It's a beauty. So far she does not want a brush, because she uses some non-lather stuff. Of course, she has access to all my DE blades — Feather, Super Iridium, PermaSharp Super, Personna "reds" and Derby. Also, I load the TTO razor for her, and when finished, I take care of the razor and blade. Of course, she loves the service — and deserves it, too, because after 48 years she is still my sweetie.

For my younger daughter, a mother of two youngsters, I fitted an Edwin Jagger shave head with the Merkur 15C handle — it gave her a better grip. She also received a silvertip brush with stand, Maca Root cream and a blade sampler. (She and the rest are promised a lifetime supply complimentary top line DE blades and creams.) A little training and she is jolly on her way without looking back.

My older daughter, who lives in Minnesota, has a Gillette Knack in the white handle waiting for her. Or she may have her choice of my Edwin Jagger razors. She will have a choice of her own silvertip brush with stand and shaving cream. Everything is ready for her when she visits soon.

One son-in-law received a Merkur 34C, a silvertip brush with stand, several creams, including Maca Root, Arko and St. James of London, and a load of DE blades. He and my daughter share a razor rack. He has not looked back either.

The other son-in-law settled on the Edwin Jagger DE 89, a pair of Edwin Jagger brushes with stands, several creams, including Proraso, and a razor rack. He couldn't be happier shaving like a gentleman.

A cousin and several dear friends also have been dragged away from their sinful ways and converted to the DE. I couldn't be happier. And you, gentlemen, have you stolen away any relatives and friends from the Satan's shave den?

Thanks and stay well.

132 2,614
 07-26-2013, 07:44 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Obie your family and friends are lucky to have you. When I first attempted shaving it was me, myself and I. It took me several years to know what I was doing.

100 12,439
 07-26-2013, 08:07 AM
User Info
My son has converted to good soap and a brush but still uses cartridge razors. My son-in-law also uses brush and soaps but splits time with carts and one of my old EJ89s and 2 co-workers have jumped in with both feet and are converts!

11 87
 07-26-2013, 08:40 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Obie,

As you have so wonderfully put it, I have converted both of my sons from the Satan's shave den. Sorry to say neither are using a DE but both are using vintage Schick Injectors that use to belong to my Dad.

I have given both of them brushes, soaps, and creams, though neither use them at this time. You know, most young folks are in a hurry.

One uses some form of canned gel and the other uses a Campbell's Lather King hot lather machine.

173 23,508
 07-26-2013, 10:44 AM
User Info
i am working on my tenth victim!Biggrin

75 20,883
 07-27-2013, 06:21 PM
User Info
Excellent read, as always, Obie.

I had set my wife with a nice kit consisting of a NOS L Schick injector, a 30mm whippeddog brush and a tub of GFT Rose cream. She loves it.

My brother came for a visit a year ago, while I was only a few months into traditional wet shaving, so the conversion was not a success. He likes to wait 4 days between shaves and then dig in with a Mach cart with and against the grain... brrr... I failed to demonstrate how to use light pressure ... then he went ATG.... let's say it was not a good day.
Still though, he wants to do give it another try so we are going to meet I think in a month or so and we'll go at it again. Wish me luck!

6 808
 07-30-2013, 02:12 AM
User Info
I converted a few of my girlfriends in the past.

0 606
 07-30-2013, 11:06 AM
User Info
Nice work! I got my whole family and wife (of course) on the DE train!

Keep the movement growing!

0 217
 07-30-2013, 07:09 PM
User Info
Good show, Obie.

I've had the pleasure of equipping about a dozen gents including my father, brother, brother-in-law and even the maintenance man from the old apartment.

47 1,270
 07-31-2013, 12:31 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
My 16 Year Old Son ... who shaves once a week uses a EJ89, Kiss My Face Mint Shaving Cream and a small Pure Badger Shaving Brush.

1 819
 08-02-2013, 07:19 PM
User Info
Keep up the good work. I have pulled at least a half dozen form the den of the Evil One. It's a never ending job but a very satisfying one when a new convert sees the light.

0 149
 08-23-2013, 03:37 PM
User Info
I converted my dad, my business partner, and one of my best friends over to the ways of the Jedi.

1 56
 08-23-2013, 03:46 PM
User Info
Just got a call from my 78 year old Dad. He thanked me for the 1963 Slim Adjustable, soap, brush and blades that I sent to him. He is having his first wet/DE shave in 40+ years tonight.

Wish I could be there but, he's in Texas and I am in Michigan.

What a switch ...... he bought me my first razor when I was 16. It was an Atra and a can if the (then) new Edge gel.

Frank

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

2 229
 08-25-2013, 03:37 AM
User Info
I gave a Merkur and a Muhle, both useless as nipples on a male hog because they had safety bars you know,,...

Anyway, gave them to a friend about 5 years ago and now the guy is a full tilt AD junkie. I used to work for this guy back in the 90's. OMG this guy is funny as hell. He's a "Car Guy" from the 70's and his brain is an encyclopedia of one liners.

We sold golf equipment for about 15 years and I could tell you stories if we didn't have any rules about language!!!

Guy is retired now and he scans ebay for skuttles and mugs. He is a first class, top shelf, A-No.1, Nut Job,,... Good People Smile

Life it too short to be uptight! Unless your messin with Bruce. Aaaaa

1 622
 08-25-2013, 06:39 AM
User Info
Great work, everyone. I converted my brother, who shaves maybe once a year, if that counts. And I got a nice blue Lady Gillette for my wife, who just uses it with soap. Got my eye on my nephew now, who's nearly 14 and has some darkening peach fuzz.

9 166
 08-27-2013, 06:04 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I tried to convert my wife, but failed.

I won't need to convert my children (all of whom are far from ready to begin shaving). My 2 sons will shave properly - I will see to that! And my daughter has already selected her brush and razor!

91 17,829