07-26-2013, 09:33 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen:
I plan to put custom handles on a couple DE razors and ask for your thoughts on the UFO. Through the years I fitted my razors with all types of custom handles. None has really grabbed my fancy. The only ones I have not tried are the UFO. I find them quite handsome from the photos, but know nothing about their styles and sizes. The two that have especially caught my eye are the bulldog and the Kaiser. What can you tell me about these and the other UFO handles? Pictures would be good, too, if you have them. Thanks.

132 2,614
 07-26-2013, 09:48 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I only know the Goliath, very nice beautiful handle but I traded it with someone on the forum (Teiste I believe). It was just not what I wanted for myself but you won't know until you try. My preference is more for handles like the Chatsworth Barley and such.

But they are really beautiful crafted. Hope you find what you're looking for.

27 1,294
 07-26-2013, 09:58 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I have several UFO handles ... pictured below from left to right are :

Goliath XL (stainless steel), Kaiser Short (alum bronze), Red Kong (red bronze), Zeus (stainless steel), U2 (stainless steel)

[Image: 2rmtlog.jpg]

not pictured is the TiTAN ... a limited series titanium handle with specs similar to the Goliath.

In addition to being beautifully finished, all UFO handles are quite functional, in terms of their heft and balance. I would recommend a Goliath (85mm) or Kaiser short (85mm) to start with ... most versatile with a variety of razor heads, both OC and CC. The Goliath has a thicker 15mm diameter and the Kaiser is 13mm I believe. Biggrin

102 17,661
 07-26-2013, 10:24 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Ravi:
Thank you for your most comprehensive information and photography. Yes, these are quite attractive. Of the group I like the Kaiser and the Red Kong. The Goliath might be too big and heavy for my small hands, the Zeus too rotund and the U2 a wee bit too skinny. Between the Kaiser and the Red Kong, the Red Kong keeps pulling me. Good show, all these.
And Snuff, than you, too, for the information. Both you gentlemen have been helpful.
Stay well.

132 2,614
 07-26-2013, 10:30 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I agree with you on the Red Kong. Something about red bronze is just attractive.

173 23,486
 07-26-2013, 10:42 AM
User Info
Obie, you won't be disappointed. Rafael makes incredible handles! Personally, i prefer the U2V1 style that Rafael made for me and you can see them in many of my pics.

Ravi, where's the TiTan?

75 20,883
 07-26-2013, 10:50 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Thank you, Celestino. I will keep your suggestion in mind.

132 2,614
 07-26-2013, 10:51 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Obie, I'll chime in as well. Most of the members here are far more knowledgable than I, but from the razors and handles I have held and shaved with, these are by far my favorite handles. They're beautiful to look at, made by a skilled artisan, and wonderfully functional. If you like handles that are not heavily or sharply knurled, then these are definitely the handles you should consider. I agree, Ravi's collection is awesome and can confirm that the Red Kong is spectacular. Here are 2 more that aren't in the pic just to help with perspective and size:

TiTAN with DLC
[Image: YStuxS4.jpg]
[Image: HbsRje0.jpg]

Tornado XL with Goodfella
[Image: OJfQVfw.jpg]

27 860
 07-26-2013, 10:51 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Here is TiTAN, identical specifications to the standard Goliath SS, but in titanium :

[Image: 302qadz.jpg]

102 17,661
 07-26-2013, 10:57 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Thank you, ojinsa and Ravi. I like the design of the Titan, too. Maybe it will not be that rotund for my small hands. This is great information, gentlemen.

132 2,614
 07-26-2013, 11:01 AM
User Info
I have a couple Goliaths, in brass and red bronze. I chose those colors because I already had an iKon bulldog in stainless steel and because they complement the black razor heads I use with them. The workmanship of the UFOs is excellent, equal to or better than any other handles I've had.

183 12,002
 07-26-2013, 11:08 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Keep in mind, Obie, that the TiTAN is not a regular model ... and I'm not sure if/when it will be made again. The Goliath is identical in terms of specifications to the TiTAN, and as John pointed out is offered in a variety of fine metals. As I indicated earlier, in my view the Goliath is a nice size in terms of heft and balance. If you want something a little thinner, go for the Kaiser Short. The U2 is even thinner, but is out of production.

102 17,661
 07-26-2013, 11:08 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Obie, the TiTAN was a limited run, but as Ravi said, the specs are identical to the Goliath, except the Goliath in SS is heaver than the TiTAN (but is also a sweet handle). I almost forgot to mention the best part, if you buy your UFO handle new you will interact with Juan (an active member here who helps Rafael), and both Juan and Rafael are wonderful men who truly believe in camaraderie among the wet shaving community. Both will remain in communication with you until you receive your handle to make sure it has arrived safely.

Good luck.

27 860
 07-26-2013, 11:54 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Obie,

I have the Goliath and love it. However, I would worry it might be too heavy for you. If you could track the Titan version down though it might work very well for you.

45 3,955
 07-26-2013, 01:12 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
Thank you for taking the time to respond. You have been most helpful. The UFO folks are on vacation. Just as well, because it gives me time to consider all the handles and choose the right one for me.
Stay well.

132 2,614
 07-26-2013, 07:50 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Keep the hefty weight in consideration Obie, that titanium might be the ticket for you..

135 1,944
 07-26-2013, 08:14 PM
User Info
[Image: 58moUcP.jpg]
LoveLoveLove
This is my Joris on the UFO Godzilla.It is a classy piece of functional art and will add weight and balance to so many shavers. This is my first and there will be more.

0 205
 07-27-2013, 01:42 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(07-26-2013, 07:50 PM)Shanman Wrote: Keep the hefty weight in consideration Obie, that titanium might be the ticket for you..
Shanman, you make a good point with your suggestion. I will consider it. All the fine choices. I might buy out the store. Thanks, my friend.

(07-26-2013, 08:14 PM)coolbus18 Wrote: [Image: 58moUcP.jpg]
LoveLoveLove
This is my Joris on the UFO Godzilla.It is a classy piece of functional art and will add weight and balance to so many shavers. This is my first and there will be more.
Coolbus, I like that combination. It's quite handsome. That, too, is a consideration now. Thanks for the suggestion.

132 2,614
 07-29-2013, 05:40 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Obie, my advice to you would be to commence a dialogue with Juan. He is Rafael's assistant and member here (aka Dr Dulcamara). Discuss your requirements and who knows what might eventuate. Rafael is certainly not opposed to working with a variety of materials and his craftsmanship is without equal.

91 17,795
 07-29-2013, 06:22 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Ben, thank you for the suggestion. Yes, I shall do that. The gentlemen are on vacation right now. When they return, I will get in touch with them.
Stay well.

132 2,614