07-26-2013, 10:40 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
There has been a great deal of discussion about synthetic brushes.
There are various brands out to choose from also now. The question that have not seen answered, are these brushes suited for bowl lather?

1 3,507
 07-26-2013, 04:45 PM
User Info
Brad, i have never used my Frank Shaving synthetics for bowl-lathering, but i believe that is where they would excel! They would make tons of lather with minimal product and you wouldn't have to worry about any "springy" bristles.
Hopefully, the bowl-latherers will chime in, soon.

75 20,883
 07-26-2013, 07:09 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
(07-26-2013, 04:45 PM)celestino Wrote: Brad, i have never used my Frank Shaving synthetics for bowl-lathering, but i believe that is where they would excel! They would make tons of lather with minimal product and you wouldn't have to worry about any "springy" bristles.
Hopefully, the bowl-latherers will chime in, soon.

So you have a Frank Shaving for face lathering. I have become intrigued by these brushes. They appear to be relatively cheap on ebay. How do they handle the hard soaps like Mike's and MFW?

15 970
 07-26-2013, 07:29 PM
User Info
The Frank Shaving synthetics easily deal with soap, i believe. i have never used MWF, but i have Mike's and Mystic Water and it is no issue with these soaps. Smile

75 20,883
 07-26-2013, 07:58 PM
User Info
The Every Man Jack synthetic is terrible with a bowl, but awesome for face or palm lathering. I have no explanation for why this is, but for whatever reason it does not release the soap when I attempt to use it with a bowl.

I've seen other folks make the same statement about synthetic brushes, but I have pretty limited experience with these types of knots, so I can only comment about the EMJ synthetic brush.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 07-26-2013, 08:32 PM
User Info
Brad, if no one answers your question I have a 24mm TGN synthetic big enough for bowl lathering that I could loan you. You could answer your own question.

I don't think it would be a problem, but I never tried it.

Tomorrow I'll be busy, but on Sunday I can try it if you trust me. I can hand lather and bowl lather, and post the results.

32 6,308
 07-26-2013, 09:45 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Best thing would be to take ShadowsDad up on his generous offer so you can try it out yourself.

I only bought and tried one synthetic and that is the Muhle 25mm, it will be the only synthetic in my collection, won't fall into the buying more trap this time ;-)

That being said it's a excellent one that works very well for bowl lathering, it makes lots of lather with minimal product. If I had to compare it to another brush in the way it makes lather in a bowl it would be a Semogue SOC boar.

27 1,294
 07-27-2013, 07:38 AM
  • Howler
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
(07-26-2013, 08:32 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Brad, if no one answers your question I have a 24mm TGN synthetic big enough for bowl lathering that I could loan you. You could answer your own question.

I don't think it would be a problem, but I never tried it.

Tomorrow I'll be busy, but on Sunday I can try it if you trust me. I can hand lather and bowl lather, and post the results.

Brain, thanks for the generous offer. I exclusively bowl later a variety soaps, all my brushes are boar with one expectation a silvertip badger. I want to branch out purchase either a synthetic or horse brush.

1 3,507
 07-27-2013, 07:45 AM
User Info
I have 3 Muhle synth brushes of varying dimensions and I bowl later (and face lather) with all of them.

Some early model synths were a bit floppy, but synths are quite good these days,

0 64
 07-28-2013, 03:29 PM
User Info
Synthetics do not absorb liquids since they are solid nylon. The issue is that the synthetic bristles need to have microgrooves built in to hold water and product better than truly rounded bristles. See the image in this article (original patent) and you can tell the difference in different bristle configuration.

http://sharpologist.com/2012/10/syntheti...art-7.html

If the bristles are totally rounded all the way throughout, then there will not be enough friction against a smooth bowl. Two extremely smooth objects with a lubricating item (shaving soap/cream) just won't work. That is why the better fibers (Generation 3 and 4) behave differently because they have slight microgrooves to prevent this from happening.

Your skin has a porous texture that will allow enough friction allow you to generate lather with the rounded fiber. That is why Generation 2 brushes (such as the Every Man Jack) can work well face lathering, but not bowl lathering.

My Muhle brushes, both V1 and V2, TGN 3 Band, H.I.S., and the new FS Pur-Tech all work well for me both bowl and face lathering.

I hope this helps.

1 2,827
 07-29-2013, 07:04 PM
User Info
It sounds like you are pretty set on a synthetic; but since you mentioned horse, I'm going to throw one other option out there for you.

The limited edition Vie Long horse brush at Bullgoose is great for either face or bowl lathering. I just purchased it recently and have been using it for the about a week. Although I wish it didn't have the fake band on it, the rest of the brush is great. The handle in particular is easy to hold. Also, it is the only horse brush I could find with that ratio of mane/tail. I'm sure there are others; but this one is a winner in my book.

Here's the link: http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/vibeindyhoha.html

1 77
 07-30-2013, 07:29 AM
  • Howler
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Thank you everyone for your input, it has been very helpful.

1 3,507
 08-15-2013, 07:14 AM
User Info
(07-26-2013, 10:40 AM)Howler Wrote: The question that have not seen answered, are these brushes suited for bowl lather?

SYNTHETIC NYLON KNOT Bowl Lathering COMPARISON
Frank Shaving and Golden Nib

http://ksyrisma-shaving.blogspot.gr/2011...hes-b.html

[Image: 8727310vjv.jpg]

[Image: 8727254ftv.jpg]

I know my text is in Greek,won't help but the photos i hope they will somehow.

0 353
 08-15-2013, 08:28 AM
User Info
If you can deal with the large handle, the HIS would make a great bowl latherer. It has the updated fibers Gary mentioned and its longer loft is well suited for bowl lathering.

5 938
 08-19-2013, 03:50 PM
User Info
I have a 21mm Muhle Silvertip Fibre brush. It can handle both face and bowl lathering. However, with its soft tips, I'd rather face lather as it doesn't cause brush burn. That was the only reason I bowl lathered in the first place; my first brush had too much scritch.

1 56