07-27-2013, 06:16 PM
User Info
I'm a pretty tech-savvy person, and I genuinely like computers.

I'm mostly a Linux guy, when it comes to computers, but I have Windows laptops and also several Macbooks.

Of course, I'm into mobile computing. We have iPhones, Android phones and Windows Phones in the house. Strangely, while I usually hate anything to do with Microsoft, I really like the Windows Phones, and so does my wife (even though she's a Mac person otherwise).

We also have several tablets - nobody in my house likes the iPad, but we do like our Android tablets and I have a Windows 8 tablet too (the Thinkpad Tablet 2). I really like them for browsing, playing games, watching shows etc, but they're not great for participating in the forums, where typing is necessary.

I actually think it's very easy to type on the Thinkpad tablet, but there's no orientation at which I like typing on the screen. I have considered getting a keyboard cover for it, but have resisted, as I already have laptops, so what's the point?

Anyway, I noticed that my participation in the forums dropped once I started really using my tablets, showing me that they're not ready to completely replace my laptops.

Anyone else have this attitude to tablets?

37 1,731
 07-27-2013, 06:35 PM
User Info
Yohann, you are too advanced for me. i am still using my desktop computer!Biggrin

74 20,792
 07-27-2013, 07:58 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Yohann, I prefer my iMac at home. I have a Windows laptop but hate the Windows operating system so really just let guests use it when they come to stay with me. While I understand where you're coming from with tablets, I find my iPad a godsend when I'm traveling. It is lighter than the lightest laptop, packs easily, and while not as easy to type on, a stylus makes the task a little less onerous. When I was in Scotland last month I was easily able to stay connected to The Shave Nook. If all I had was my laptop then I would not have shlepped that half way around the world.

2 11,211
 07-28-2013, 09:30 AM
User Info
Certainly the public at large continues to choose tablets with their greater portability but diminished keyboarding ability.

I suspect that this has to do with the fact that most consumers are only typing minimally, such as Facebook posts and short emails.

I am too wedded to my keyboard. I've particularly come to realize this after we replaced our beloved blackberry Curves last yea for Apple I-Phone 4's. The I-phone has a superior screen, but I do miss the wonderful engineered keyboard on the blackberry.

Interestingly purchased a Acer Chromebook last January rather than a tablet. The Chromebook has a simple Google designed OS that only does one thing, browse the internet. The Google OS is so basic and stripped down that it runs on a very basic, budget CPU that would be a dog if it was running windows. The deciding factor was to have the keyboard.

3 446
 07-28-2013, 07:01 PM
User Info
Gadget Freaks should look at Blackberry 10 devices. They have BBM for the iPhone and Android now and also some messenger programs for stuff like yahoo and google.

Ever see how touch screen typing works on a full screen model?

Time Shift camera, allows you to scroll backwards and forwards and take the frame that looks best. No more closed eyes when people blink etc.

All messaging types are integrated into one inbox.

Contacts are also integrated with all messaging info. Just choose how you want to contact people.

You can now port Android apps since the new Blackberry OS is QNX.

Blah Blah Blah,,...

Its the cats bung.

I do all my posting on a Blackberry 9900 and the new BB 10 models blow this 9900 out of the water.

1 622
 07-29-2013, 01:21 AM
User Info
Tablets are for media consumption, 'real' computers are for content creation... horrible simplified, but it is broadly speaking true.

3 3,439
 07-29-2013, 04:25 AM
User Info
I'm a high tech geek,

Since getting my ipad 2, 3 and now iPad 4, I use the iPad for inet 2-3 hours a day, and my iMac 2-3 hours a month.

I only use my iMac for serious work - web design, photo editing, spreadsheets, finance & long letters.

iPad is used for everything else.

I feel the web designers now create the pages based on knowing that 50% or more view their sites using a tablet.

21 4,787
 07-29-2013, 10:46 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Washington State
User Info
I bought an ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700 back in October and barely touch my notebook anymore. It does pretty much everything I need, is smaller and lighter, and can last a couple days easy on one charge if I need it to. I've been carrying it all over Eastern Europe taking picture and doing homework. I absolutely love it.

35 1,726
 07-29-2013, 11:29 AM
User Info
Every time I go to a seminar, about half of the participants are typing away on iPads using those foldable keyboards or some other contraption.

Personally, can't see ditching the desktop since I use an ergo keyboard and abhor the more compact layout.

I just write down my notes the old fashioned way. Tongue

Okay, I'm just too stubborn to adapt.

9 2,987
 07-29-2013, 08:15 PM
User Info
Hopefully Blackberry will have this incorporated into their next tablet. Although I think the full screen mobile will make a tablet obsolete for many.

1 622