07-28-2013, 05:55 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I had my 4th DE shave this morning and my first with a shaving stick. Mctmatt was kind enough to send me 3 sticks to try and compare. I have added a Palmolive Classic stick to the mix to round it out. I will rotate the sticks daily.

I am alternating between two razors, a Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip and a Maggard MR1. I will be rotating the razors every two days. Both will have the same brand of blade.

The brush I am using is an Omega 10066.

The Sticks.

[Image: PIF3Sticks_zps804825a8.jpg]
[Image: PalmoliveStick_zps878f20e0.jpg]

The Razors

Super Speed Flare Tip

[Image: SuperSpeedSide_zpsb1cc8b94.jpg]

Maggard MR1

[Image: MaggardMR1_zps8586476a.jpg]

The Omega 10066 Brush

[Image: Omega10066Boar_zps79284a9f.jpg]

Let the fun begin!

Bob

4 2,383
 07-28-2013, 06:07 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Bob, so you don't make the same mistake I did, here is my routine for using a stick.

1. Place just the end of the stick in water while you are washing a prepping your face.

2. With the face wet, lightly apply a very thin layer of soap from the stick.

3. Start out with a damp, not soaking wet brush. Dip just the tips of the brush in water as needed.

Keep doing that until you have the lather you want.

First time I used a stick I made sure my face was heavily covered in soap before I started to lather and that was a mistake. I had so much soap it clogged my razor.

173 23,547
 07-28-2013, 06:07 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Stick Shave #1

Speick
Maggard MR1
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow
Omega 10066

WTG-XTG-ATG

My first impression of the Speick while I was applying it was that I really liked the mild, fresh scent. It lathered up easily by just giving my brush 2 shakes and swirling away with a good "paint" at the end. The brush was loaded enough for 3 passes. My shave was very good, slick and smooth. The sticks don't seem to lather up as much, or need to, than the other soaps I have used.

Please chime in with your comments, impressions, and suggestions as this adventure unfolds. Thanks again to Tom, aka mctmatt, for getting this all started.

Bob

4 2,383
 07-28-2013, 06:42 AM
User Info
Good review Coyote, and just wondering is this your first use of a Tallow shave soap? Speick is a wonderful shave soap with a spicy fragrance as some have described. In terms of lather, it will produce as much as you want. You might need to rub a little more onto your face. Each shave stick has their own personality I discovered and the more you use them the better you get to know that personality.

0 123
 07-28-2013, 07:08 AM
User Info
(07-28-2013, 06:42 AM)mctmatt Wrote: Good review Coyote, and just wondering is this your first use of a Tallow shave soap? Speick is a wonderful shave soap with a spicy fragrance as some have described. In terms of lather, it will produce as much as you want. You might need to rub a little more onto your face. Each shave stick has their own personality I discovered and the more you use them the better you get to know that personality.

I was going to write this, but instead I'll just highlight it.

You can get almost any amount or quality of lather you want from any of those sticks. It's in the amount used and how you decide to lather it that makes the difference.

Be forewarned, ARKO is a water hog. If the lather is lacking use more water. You'll figure it out.

32 6,310
 07-28-2013, 07:12 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Thanks guys. Brian-Ordered some of your aftershave yesterday too!

4 2,383
 07-28-2013, 08:51 AM
User Info
Bob, great idea for a thread.

IMO, you have four very good shave sticks, I'll be interested to see your thoughts.

3 452
 07-29-2013, 06:24 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Stick Shave #2

ARKO
Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip
Omega 10066

My first impression of the Arko upon wetting the tip and starting to apply it was: "Yep, it does smell like a urinal puck!" But as I started to lather, the smell seemed to change and was nice? It lathered just fine and I had a nick free shave today, thanks in large part to all the good advice from y'all. The shave was close and smooth.

WTG-XTG-ATG(angled for my beard)

I put both my Speick and ARKO sticks in WCS containers. The both just "slid right down the pole".

The journey continues......

Bob

[Image: StickContainer_zps3ac1d6ca.jpg]
[Image: ArkoStick_zps4a74f1bf.jpg]

4 2,383
 07-29-2013, 09:34 AM
User Info
For me Arko is one of the best values around and the scent has really never been an issue for me. I don't use it hardley at all now just because I am having so much fun trying other shave soaps. I need to reach back in my cabinet and grab the Arko stick for one of my next shaves.

0 123
 07-29-2013, 09:41 AM
User Info
This looks like a fun experiment. I did something very similar when I first got interested in sticks.

If you leave the Arko open to air out for a couple of weeks, the scent mellows somewhat. This leads me to my next suggestion. There's nothing wrong with rotating the sticks every day, but the first time through the rotation, it might be worth using each stick for a few days before moving onto the next one. All 4 sticks you've chosen are highly regarded soaps, but sometimes it takes a few times to really get the right soap/water ratio dialed in for a particular brand, and it's probably easier to do so if you stick with the same brand for a few days. Then by the time you come back around to the Arko, the scent may have dissipated more to your liking.

Like I said, however, there's nothing wrong with switching it up every day. The main thing is that you're trying new things and having fun doing so, which it seems like you're doing.

2 129
 07-29-2013, 09:48 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I will switch to using each for a few days after the first pass through.......

4 2,383
 07-29-2013, 09:55 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My travel stick is Speick but, I have both Speick and Arko grated and pressed into small bowls for home use. I used the Arko this morning and got a great shave with it.

Like they said, let it air out some and the initial strong scent goes away, although that has never bothered me. To me it smells like a bar of Ivory Soap like Mom used when I was a kid.

All you guys need to keep your noses out of the urinals. Biggrin

173 23,547
 07-30-2013, 06:24 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Stick Shave #3

La Toja
Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip
Omega 10066
WTG-XTG-ATG(angled for my beard)

Today was the Super Speed Flare Tip Again, 7 O'Clock Yellow blade, La Toja stick, and the Omega 10066. No nicks, knock on wood. The La Toja stick lathered very easily, was very slick and gave a great shave. It has a nice fresh, "clean" smell. My face felt great afterwards too, even before a "splash". It seems to be a notch above the Speick and Arko to me as far as the lather and overall quality of the shave. Of course, I may just be geting better at using the sticks. I will be able to tell more after this first run through when I use the different sticks on consecutive days. I will stay with the Super Speed Flare for more consistency in my testing too. My technique seems to be setting in as I learn the angles of my beard better each shave. I am making short strokes trying to let the razor do all the work. I try to keep my wrist locked. Each day is a bit better.

Bob

[Image: LaTojaStick_zpsed8d8aec.jpg]
[Image: LaTojaStickOpen_zpsdb025aee.jpg]

4 2,383
 07-30-2013, 06:57 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Pretty soon you will be an aficionado writing articles on how to shave with a stick during hunting season.

173 23,547
 07-30-2013, 07:18 AM
User Info
Well done to you, Bob and Tom. Thanks for chronicling your shave stick experiences.

47 1,270
 07-30-2013, 12:38 PM
User Info
La Toja has one of the most unique scents that I have found. You get a very very slight hint of mineral salts. It is probably my favorite shave stick. I loved the fragrance so much that I went online and purchased the La Toja Black Magno Bath Soap. Great bath soap and it makes my skin feel really nice. It makes for great xmas gifts.

0 123
 07-30-2013, 08:00 PM
User Info
Interesting! La Toja is one I haven't used but have always meant to try.

I like those containers, perfect for travel!

I'm interested in reading more.

32 6,310
 07-30-2013, 08:13 PM
User Info
Great thread! I like all of those sticks except for Arko. You need a stick of tabac in its place.

1 77
 07-30-2013, 08:22 PM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Johnny-Just PM'd you my latest article in "Predator Xtreme". It was just published on July 27th.

Brian-I got the Krampert's Bay Rum I ordered today. I will use it in the morning.

Jason-Good idea!

4 2,383
 07-30-2013, 10:21 PM
User Info
Whats more important to try, La toja or Arko?

0 53