07-28-2013, 09:34 AM
User Info
This may not be appropriate for this sub-forum, so if someone thinks it's better in some other part of the forum, please let me know.

Most of us know that one of the side-effects of being on the wetshaving forums is that one eventually catches one AD or the other - razors, blades, soaps, brushes....some of us have collected them all, and some of us have only fallen for a few of them. Some of us never really spend much on this, while others spend thousands of dollars.

I pretty much caught them all. I was never one for aftershaves much, and I never got into the more expensive soaps/creams, but otherwise I caught them all.

Quite literally thousands of dollars later, I'm finally slowing down....mostly because I keep using the same items when I shave these days.

While the magic of enjoying a great shave hasn't disappeared, I have got to the point where I don't want to buy everything I see.

In fact, I've toyed with the idea of decimating my collection, but I'm convinced that the moment I do that I'll just catch the AD again. Blush

So, does the magic disappear? Do you lose interest in these hobbies?

I was sure that this one wouldn't lose its lustre for me, because I have to do it every day, but I've reached the point where routine (within limits) is really attractive now. Biggrin

Maybe it's just a matter of finding my sweet spot. Equilibrium is good, and the shaves are better now that I'm not messing around with different equipment every day.

37 1,731
 07-28-2013, 09:43 AM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I use to have the simple life when it came to shaving until the internet and shaving forums started. I'm not sorry I've spent untold amounts of money to try different things, but like you I am narrowing it down to just a few items.

What once use to be 30 soaps and creams is now 4 soaps and 1 cream. Same holds true for my razors, blades, and after shave.

Somewhere in all of this the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" fits in.

173 23,286
 07-28-2013, 09:48 AM
User Info
I've gone through phases, such as having 80 Somerset Simpson brushes or 30 vintage Gillette razors, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to enjoy the collecting and displaying. But as I get older I find myself wanting to simplify most areas of my life, and that generally means downsizing and reducing. I still like variety, so I won't ever have just one of anything, but I'm content with less.

178 11,971
 07-28-2013, 10:10 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Yohann, I'd say that what you're experiencing is normal. I have more stuff than I could use up in years yet I still go back to favorites and could easily thin out the shave cave. However, like you, I think that if I ever did that then serious ADs would kick in again. Sad It's all part of the hobby.

2 11,211
 07-28-2013, 10:13 AM
User Info
I have drawers full of cased vintage razors that to me are a living museum. But, there are times when I question why I keep them when I rarely rotate them in to my shaves. I also have too many brushes, I regularly use my favorites of the bunch but find I have to force myself to use some of the others just to say I have used them lately...

I do enjoy variety and I would get very bored with the same set up every day, but I need to decide how much is too much.

63 2,125
 07-28-2013, 10:43 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
Methinks wknicholas has it figured out.

16 535
 07-28-2013, 10:49 AM
User Info
Well, I have always believed that it is very wise to listen to others who have more experience than I do.

With that said, after only being involved in wet shaving for a month, I am done collecting for awhile. I have more than enough for myself having 5 DE razors, 1 straight/shavette, more than 100 various blades, 6 different aftershaves, two brushes and the shaving creams that I prefer. My rookie collection is small but adequate for my needs.

In fact, others here have been so kind to me that I will be putting together a new shaver PIF this week to share in my good fortune.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

2 229
 07-28-2013, 01:11 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I never had the wallet for the AD's or a big collection. Usually I'm working with one or two soaps & one cream and will finish them before I buy more. I've never had more than two brushes or 5-6 razors. I've become quite happy with my little setup.
The advantage of living shave to shave is that after three years the magic is still there for me because there are so many things I haven't seen in person or tried. I still enjoy the search and discovering nice deals when I visit the occasional antique store.

2 500
 07-28-2013, 01:57 PM
User Info
I think staying away from other people's pictures of their new toys definitely helps.

I don't think the urge ever goes away unless something happens that invokes the opposite reaction to your gear.

9 2,987
 07-28-2013, 03:44 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
toys are great fun, sometimes ya just end up finding what you were looking for.
like you said in your OP, : "mostly, I keep using the same items when I shave these days",
and: " I have got to the point where I don't want to buy everything I see".
same here.

0 1,291
 07-28-2013, 04:32 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(07-28-2013, 10:43 AM)Macko Wrote: Methinks wknicholas has it figured out.

I believe you are correct.

Soap: Arko, MFW, or TABAC
Razor: Schick E Type
Blade: Schick 99% of the time
Brush: One of two different Semogue
After Shave: None

173 23,286
 07-28-2013, 04:48 PM
User Info
I have bought enough stuff that I either don't like, or don't like near as much as other stuff I have. There are a few soaps I want to try yet.
I think with brushes, any additions will be restores if I find unique handles.

Razors, luckily I get to try the Cobra on the pass around, so of I buy any more razors in the near future, it will be that and only if it's better than my Weber, or I will wait to see what the Huntlee is all about.

I do want a couple more after shaves, but thankfully we have folks like Travis around where you can get samples to try out first.

31 1,800
 07-28-2013, 05:23 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(07-28-2013, 09:34 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: So, does the magic disappear?

Only if you let it!

It's a bit like a marriage.

You have your bad days and close shaves, but I couldn't imagine starting each day any other way...

91 17,610
 07-28-2013, 07:15 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I'm in fhis for around 11 months as of now. I've gone through DE's to SE's. Several lathering products. Several brushes. and I'm currently looking at straights to use from time to time. I guess I'm on a quest to find what works best for me. I am hoping that by the time I get into 2 years of wet shaving I will have it down to a nice rotation of razors, soaps, and brushes. As far as after shaves I will always enjoy variety but even that can be trimmed to 10 or so. As I amass more gear I am getting a feel of what I like. I've already let go a bunch of DE's. As I tread with SE's I see a nice SE pif in the future for someone like me who wanted to try and was converted. Who knows. I'll always keep a Krona on hand. And the Gem J-Bar that was given to me will be with me in my casket. As I fool around with straights I'm sure I will find some I will keep. As far as soaps, VdH will ALWAYS be in my rotation as well as C.O. Bigelow. There are others that I like. Also the ones I don't like are PIF'ed or just used up. Perhaps keep them down to 4 or 5. Brushes the same. I have a couple now that I love. There are a few I don't care for and they may be on the PIF block soon.... We shall see. I also believe that variety is the spice of life and as long as something is working for me I will keep it around.... HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151
 07-28-2013, 09:10 PM
User Info
Yohann, i thought we were all initiated into the magical world of shaving when we started this and we created our own magic! i don't think it can ever go away! Biggrin

74 20,778
 07-29-2013, 01:24 AM
User Info
You still enjoy shaving? If so, the magic is still there - you just happened to find the right 'spell components' to work it for you Biggrin

3 3,437
 07-29-2013, 02:00 AM
User Info
I still buy that 10$ St8 off eBay hoping that it was only a bad photo!
And.... I still receive enough intermediate reinforcement to keep doing it!(:-)

5 410
 07-29-2013, 02:13 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Call it a hobby or a sport, the wet shaving arena is vast. Collector or user, straights, SE, DE, new or old, restore, boar, badger, single brand or one of each maker..

And each of these components have sub-sets.

There are so many options. I can't see how the magic could ever die. It just changes. I found my holy grail DE, cleaned house of the many other razors not seeing use and moved on to straights. I realized I love boar, so cleaned house of most of the badgers. Soaps and creams? Skip this..I am still hooked. Straights have introduced more styles, shapes, brands, grinds and scales that it makes my head spin with excitement.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there are so many genre's to explore, I will find it hard to get board.

Moving to straights opens up the world of custom razors. Also has the facet of custom scales and such, which for me is awesome as I love to work in the shop..

33 914
 07-29-2013, 02:59 AM
User Info
(07-29-2013, 01:24 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: You still enjoy shaving? If so, the magic is still there - you just happened to find the right 'spell components' to work it for you Biggrin

Well put, Hans!

37 1,731
 07-29-2013, 07:44 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
The Magic is in the Shaving and that does not go away.

I have several Disorders but, I am slowing down on my purchases and focusing on using up some of my Shaving Stash.

I now don't want everything I see but, I do want a few more razors, a few more brushes, a few more soaps/creams, a couple more after-shaves and a couple more colognes.

But, after listing out all of my soaps and creams and calculating out how long it may take me to get through them, I decided that I need to start using some of them up. So I am going to focus on finding the products that I want to use and enjoy in a shaving rotation and weed out the nonperformers.

1 819