04-16-2012, 08:46 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1240049.JPG?m=1334216481]

A couple years ago I did read an interesting thread of a gentleman who made a top 10 ranking of all the synthetic brushes that he did try at the time (2009).The Taylor of Old Bond Street synthetic brush was ranked as the number one by this gentleman with no shadow of a doubt on his part.

Since then I have been curious to try this brush and now I had the chance to test it myself,and the only thing I can say is that the synthetic fibre shaving brushes world have been changed a lot since 2009.

This brush has a price of 39,95 pounds plus shipping at the Taylor of old Bond Street online shop : http://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/acatalo...ushes.html which makes it much expensive than the Frank Shaving brush,which cost is 15 dollars,including shipping.
Im going to compare this brush with the Frank Shaving one,since the fibres are quiet similar,but not the same.To compare this brush with the new Muhle synthetic fibre would be really unfair,since Muhle are light years away in quality right now.

[Image: P1240050.JPG?m=1334216481]

This brush has the following specs :
  • 22 mm knot
  • 55mm loft
  • 105 mm total height

which makes it a medium shaving brush.

Here is a pic of it compare it with the Muhles synthetic fibre brushes :

[Image: P1240052.JPG?m=1334216521]

As you can see,this brush has a regular medium size.

Its handle is really well made,classic looking and ergonomic.I think that this handle is made by Vulfix,or I have the impression that Vulfix is behind the design,at least,because its classical features.Its also a medium weight handle,not as heavy as a 404 Grosvernor handle,but close enough.

[Image: P1240051.JPG?m=1334216495]

Well,and the most important now,what about the fibres?

I did read that this brush its a lather monster,and its very true,this brush creates a lot of lather pretty quick and easy,with not too much effort.However this brush lacks some things :

1.Its not a dense brush if I compare it with the 19mm or 21 mm Muhle silvertip fibres,so its kind of floppy.Actually I would say that its really floppy,something that I wasn't expecting of it and a feature that I dont like to much.This brush reminds me of the Vulfix VS5 boar brush,which density wasn't there either and was super floppy for being a boar brush.

Here is a pic with the 21mm and 19 mm Muhle silvertip fibres.Notice the lack of density of the TOBS brush :

[Image: P1240077.JPG?m=1334592641]

2.It has soft tips when dry,but as The Body Shop synthetic brush,once its wet,you can notice some scratchiness from them.Its not as scratchy as a pure badger shaving brush,but its there.I would say that The Body Shop shaving brush has more scratchy feeling,but not by far.And the TBS brush has more hair density than this one too.

3.It face lathers really well,but not as good as the Frank Shaving or the Muhle synthetic fibres.I have to apply pressure to let the fibres "open" at the middle section and splash a little bit if I wanna use circular movements on the face with it.Its flow is also not as good as the Frank Shaving brush,even when this one is more floppy than the FS.

4.Retains a lot of water,even when it lacks fibres density.I have to shake the brush twice before I build up lather on my face,if I don't want the lather to be runny.In scuttle performs well,but again,lacks some fibres density.

As I said earlier,the brush makes quick lather both with creams and shaving soaps,so its a plus for it,but I would say that most synthetic brush do the same job.

Well,in the handle of this brush you can read "Imitation Badger" and I think its a little bit misleading.Yes,the brush its soft,makes lather really quick but it doesnt feel like badger (like any kind of badger hair) at all.I would say that this brush behaves more like the Vulfix boar brushes in many things more than badger hair.

Also,when I compare it with a "humble" FS brush,the TOBS looses the battle in all the features,and when you see the price of the FS and the price of the TOBS the battle is over.

I would say that this is an improved The Body Shop brush,with a much better handle and softer bristles,but that's it.Is light years away in quality than the Muhle new synthetic fibres and looses the battle with a Frank Shaving synthetic brush.

If this brush would be a little more dense (well,more dense actually) and with 2 mm less of loft,we could be in front of a different brush,but with the actual specs that has,its not a brush I can recommend.Of course,I need to try it out more,but today was disappointing,even when it created lather really well and quick,but the good "sensations" that I have experience with other synthetic brushes, wasn't there.

86 7,123
 04-16-2012, 09:19 AM
User Info
Great review, Teiste! Have you ever tried men-ü synthetic? What do you think about it? I have men- u premium, but I didn't try it enough to reach to a conclusion. But it is a very, very soft brush.
And the scratchiness of the pure badgers, does it improve with break-in?

4 365
 04-16-2012, 09:42 AM
User Info
Pure badgers do not get softer...maybe over decades, but not within a reasonable time. If it's scratchy out of the box, chances are it will remain quite scratchy. I also hate pure badger because my skin can't take it...I never recommend pure badger to anyone, personally. My first brush was a pure and I will never go back to that stuff. Might be okay if you have a leather face.

Tieste, are you sure this TOBS brush is synthetic? It looks an awful lot like dyed boar hair in the pics. I remember there was some discussion on the boards awhile back re: this brush potentially being made of boar hair.

0 189
 04-16-2012, 10:21 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-16-2012, 09:42 AM)cvac Wrote: Pure badgers do not get softer...maybe over decades, but not within a reasonable time. If it's scratchy out of the box, chances are it will remain quite scratchy. I also hate pure badger because my skin can't take it...I never recommend pure badger to anyone, personally. My first brush was a pure and I will never go back to that stuff. Might be okay if you have a leather face.

Tieste, are you sure this TOBS brush is synthetic? It looks an awful lot like dyed boar hair in the pics. I remember there was some discussion on the boards awhile back re: this brush potentially being made of boar hair.

My friend :

there was a previous version to this brush with animal hair,maybe horse hair,but this one 100% synthetic.

86 7,123
 04-16-2012, 04:32 PM
User Info
Teiste,

Not surprised at all by this review. I very briefly owned this brush, and I don't think I even bothered shaving with it. I bought it due to the review that you reference, and it made me think that if this is the best synthetic brush, I don't even want to know how bad the worst one is. Anyway, it seems like a lot of progress has been made with the new Muhle synthetic. Since you found the TOBS very different from the Muhle, it definitely makes me want to give the Muhle a try.

30 275
 04-16-2012, 04:44 PM
User Info
It is obvious that when you compared the brush on value against the Franks Synthetic it failed that test and when you compared absolute performance against a Muhle it failed.
That brush appears to resemble a boar brush in a way. The tips really don't even look inviting as the FS, the H.I.S. and especially the Muhle brushes look.

I had considered this brush, but I am glad I did not take the bait.

Excellent review.

1 2,827
 04-16-2012, 05:55 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-16-2012, 09:19 AM)staggerlee Wrote: Great review, Teiste! Have you ever tried men-ü synthetic? What do you think about it? I have men- u premium, but I didn't try it enough to reach to a conclusion. But it is a very, very soft brush.
And the scratchiness of the pure badgers, does it improve with break-in?
No,I havent tried the Men U brush,but I think that for its price wont beat the Frank Shaving either.

(04-16-2012, 04:32 PM)Aaron622 Wrote: Teiste,

Not surprised at all by this review. I very briefly owned this brush, and I don't think I even bothered shaving with it. I bought it due to the review that you reference, and it made me think that if this is the best synthetic brush, I don't even want to know how bad the worst one is. Anyway, it seems like a lot of progress has been made with the new Muhle synthetic. Since you found the TOBS very different from the Muhle, it definitely makes me want to give the Muhle a try.
Yes,its like night and day.Muhle have created a new synthetic fibres that are playing in some badger hair league.This kind of fibres (the ones from the TOBS brush) arent.

(04-16-2012, 04:44 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: It is obvious that when you compared the brush on value against the Franks Synthetic it failed that test and when you compared absolute performance against a Muhle it failed.
That brush appears to resemble a boar brush in a way. The tips really don't even look inviting as the FS, the H.I.S. and especially the Muhle brushes look.

I had considered this brush, but I am glad I did not take the bait.

Excellent review.
No,dont get this brush and I wont get the Parker,but maybe we can swap them and compare.
I really wanna try the H.I.S now,my friend.

86 7,123
 04-16-2012, 08:33 PM
User Info
Great review!

1 223
 04-16-2012, 09:45 PM
User Info
Another great review, sensei Tieste!
Thank you.

75 20,883
 04-17-2012, 01:53 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
That's interesting, Teiste. I never tried a synthetic brush...

4 313