07-29-2013, 04:07 PM
User Info
Hi All,

With my doctor pestering me to use a good Sunscreen whenever I go out, I wanted to ask:

* Does anyone have any tips on applying sunscreen to a freshly shaven face without aggravation?

My face is generally happy these days, getting near-BBS Shaves, finishing strong with Krampert's Finest Bay Rum or Frostbite, and leaving my face soft and supple. Smile

However, recently I decided to heed my doctor's suggestions and add some Sunscreen before heading out, right after my shave...

Ouch! My sunscreen just *slightly* aggravates my face and I feel like I'm "ruining" my great shave doing this.

Any tips?

Thanks!

3 270
 07-29-2013, 05:40 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I wouldn't do that, most likely you will get irritation or worse if you apply it to damaged skin. So either wait until you are healed for a few hours or stay out of the sun for that long.
I do apply sunscreen if I have any outside activities, I use a splash but still wait maximum time that I can before doing sunscreen.

88 4,233
 07-29-2013, 06:48 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
This a problem for me too as even supposed hypo-allergenic sunscreen causes me some irritation if I apply after shaving. Like Steve, I wait as long as possible. Unfortunately, this means that I often forget to apply it at all. Sad

45 16,359
 07-29-2013, 08:03 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Try an aftershave balm with a SPF...

For example:

L'Oreal Men's Expert aftershave balm, SPF 15
Urth Face Balm, SPF 15
Neutrogena Triple Protect Face Lotion, SPF 20

91 17,875
 07-30-2013, 01:09 PM
User Info
Try an all natural sunblock that uses micronized ( > 100nm) zinc oxide. My final step after using a splash like Kramperts is a small drop or two of Emu Oil mixed in to Devita sunscreen (http://www.devitaskincare.com/store/sola...17534.html). I have used many natural zinc oxide based screens and IMO this one is the best especially if you are normal to dry. Sunscreen used daily is the best anti-aging treatment for your face!!!

Chris

0 27
 07-30-2013, 01:52 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
What sunscreen did you use that irritated your skin?

I've used the following sunscreens just half an hour or less after shaving and have had no irritation issues. The reasons I quit using them is listed along with them.

Anthony Oil Free Facial Moisturizer SPF 15 - Although it says it's oil free, it left me feeling oily. Also felt slow to absorb, and just heavy in general.

Anthony Light Facial Moisturizer SPF 15 - This product is no longer sold on his site. It was lighter, but I still felt greasy, and it also appeared to contain some dyes that helped to even tone (not always a bad thing, but in this case didn't work for me).

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF 15 - This is the best widely available choice I've run across. It's light and leaves no greasy feeling behind. It absorbs quickly.

Ahava Mineral Sun Protection Anti-Aging SPF 15 - Another great option when you can find it, but more expensive than Neutrogena. It can be found sometimes at your closeout stores like Marshall's or Ross for great deals. Absorbs quickly, and doesn't leave you greasy.

Kyoku For Men Facial Moisturizer SPF 15 - Great stuff. Expensive. Absorbs quickly and very light, no greasy feeling. Available at our resident Bull Goose. Don't let the price scare you. I've had my tube for 2 months and still going strong. Takes a small pea size to cover face, neck and head (I'm bald).

Next on my list to try is Keihl's Facial Fuel SPF 15(35.00 but 4.7 oz, vs Kyoku's 1.7 oz for 31.00).

Hope this helps. You can check places like Ulta and Sephora locally and you can find these items. Sephora carries Anthony, and it is good stuff, even if it didn't work for my skin type.

14 1,177
 07-30-2013, 03:22 PM
User Info
Can't say I have that problem. What if you put a moisturizer on first? That's what I do.

9 2,988
 07-30-2013, 11:14 PM
User Info
(07-29-2013, 05:40 PM)beartrap Wrote: I wouldn't do that, most likely you will get irritation or worse if you apply it to damaged skin. So either wait until you are healed for a few hours or stay out of the sun for that long.
I do apply sunscreen if I have any outside activities, I use a splash but still wait maximum time that I can before doing sunscreen.

Thanks Steve, Phil. Yah, I try to stall as long as I can and carefully apply Sunscreen after a shave, but sometimes, I have to head out immediately after my shave... and like Steve, I've found myself skipping Sunscreen on some days because of the irritation. Sad

(07-29-2013, 08:03 PM)ben74 Wrote: Try an aftershave balm with a SPF...

Thanks Ben! Smile I think the only bummer for me about that is that I have to skip my favorite Aftershaves at that point, and go with specific AS with SPF protection, but definitely something I'll consider.

(07-30-2013, 01:09 PM)fisherc Wrote: Try an all natural sunblock that uses micronized ( > 100nm) zinc oxide. My final step after using a splash like Kramperts is a small drop or two of Emu Oil mixed in to Devita sunscreen (http://www.devitaskincare.com/store/sola...17534.html). I have used many natural zinc oxide based screens and IMO this one is the best especially if you are normal to dry. Sunscreen used daily is the best anti-aging treatment for your face!!!

Chris

Thanks Chris. Emu oil; interesting. Smile Yes, after my doctor and family have bugged me about it for so long, I really want to use Sunscreen to protect from the sun damage whenever I can.

(07-30-2013, 01:52 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: What sunscreen did you use that irritated your skin?

Great recs, CR! I've used a couple very light, as close to all natural as I can get Sunscreens. It's more of a product of me always trying for a BBS shave perhaps, but my skin and face feel smooth and great after a shave, witch hazel and my favorite AS like Krampert's Finest, etc. It's just when I attempt to apply any Sunscreen immediately after that it disagrees with my skin a bit.

I'll have to try out some of your recs. Thanks.

(07-30-2013, 03:22 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Can't say I have that problem. What if you put a moisturizer on first? That's what I do.

Thanks asharperrazor. I'll give it a shot and see if that helps.

3 270
 08-05-2013, 01:57 AM
User Info
++1 on the L'Oreal A/S Balm spf 15 and Neutrogena Triple Protect spf 20... I spend a lot of time in the sun and I am a head shaver.. I've tried many products, and these are the two I use until the next best thing comes along...

1 21
 08-05-2013, 01:22 PM
User Info
Hey Guys,

I was weeding out some old colognes today and I found two huge bottles of Jo Malone scents I had forgotten. At the time one was a limited and I went to see if they ever started making it again.

Anyway, I was meandering around the website and stumbled across this and thought it would be a good place to start. Maybe ask for a sample since they offer a lot of samples.

http://www.jomalone.com/templates/produc...=PROD17336

1 622