07-29-2013, 05:15 PM
User Info
I have only used DRH soap since I started shaving 4 months a go. My puck is almost gone and I'm looking for a replacement. I'd love to try Mikes, but the delay is too long for this order. How doe the lather of Mystic Waters compare to DRH? I'm looking at the Prospect Creek scent in particular if anyone has feedback on that one specifically.

0 54
 07-29-2013, 05:25 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
As always YMMV, but in my opinion Mystic Waters does not compare to DRH. I think you should deal with the delay and order the Mike's.

45 3,955
 07-29-2013, 05:47 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Mystic Water soaps offer scents that are quite distinctive, and in my view, it's these scents in addition to the soap's overall performance that gives this brand its reputation for being an excellent soap. It can be somewhat challenging, though, for some in terms of ease of use. This is where Mike's and DRH are more 'user friendly'. Although I have not tried Prospect Creek in particular, all the other scents I've tried have similar performance, and typically vary only in their aroma.
If you're unsure, the most cost-effective approach is to get a sample pack of 3, offered on the Mystic Water website.

Mike's is easier to lather in general, with the only caution being that it's rather 'water hungry'. Another source for Mike's that may be more readily available to ship is Vintage Blades.

Good luck and happy shaving! Smile

102 17,672
 07-29-2013, 05:48 PM
User Info
i haven't tried the Prospect Creek, but, personally, i think Mystic Water is one of the best soaps out there and it makes fantastic lather. The Mysore Sandalwood and Bay Rum scents are incredible! Good luck.

75 20,884
 07-29-2013, 06:48 PM
User Info
MW soaps make fantastic lather.... but I swear, for this to ever happen for me and apparently countless others the stars simply have to align just right...
BUT when it does, I'll be the first to admit its lather magic! But then the dream is over and my next attempts turn into battle. : (

A battle with this soap I simply have lossed all patience for. God love those who can master this soap because the scents are BAR NONE, the BEST ever created, IMHO.

I truly would not have any other soaps in my den if I could get MW to work but that's okay because as others have mentioned, there are others such as Mikes that are certainly comparable and far easier to work with so fortunately you'll never run out of options.

But in the meantime, by all means, roll the dice and see if you are one of the lucky souls who can achieve the potentially incredible lather this soap certainly possesses and good luck, for sure, in the process. Smile

64 796
 07-29-2013, 06:52 PM
User Info
Thank you all for your feedback. After looking at some more reviews, I decided to to try Barrister & Mann.

0 54
 07-29-2013, 08:59 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Not a bad soap either but, you should try Mike's too.

1 819
 07-30-2013, 06:58 AM
User Info
I am no soap expert but I get fantastic shaves out of Mikes and Mystic Water. I have the Sandalwood from Mystic and love it.

A third option with great reviews would be Barrister & Mann. It gets reviews similar to Mikes

6 122
 07-30-2013, 08:01 AM
User Info
I prefer Harris to all of the soaps mentioned in this thread for the combination of lathering ease, performance and scent. The MW is more work to lather but I think it is very good when you get the lather well. B&M has been underwhelming to me this far, I think it has too much lanolin. Mike's is an excellent soap, but I've moved away from such strong scents.

15 762
 07-30-2013, 02:32 PM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
Stirling soaps don't seem to get much pub around here, but they are excellent.

17 544
 07-30-2013, 07:00 PM
User Info
(07-29-2013, 08:59 PM)Grumpy Wrote: Not a bad soap either but, you should try Mike's too.

I definitely will, just not this time around.

(07-30-2013, 08:01 AM)guildx500 Wrote: I prefer Harris to all of the soaps mentioned in this thread for the combination of lathering ease, performance and scent. The MW is more work to lather but I think it is very good when you get the lather well. B&M has been underwhelming to me this far, I think it has too much lanolin. Mike's is an excellent soap, but I've moved away from such strong scents.

I've been content with my Harris soap, but it's the only one I've used.

0 54
 07-31-2013, 01:50 PM
User Info
I use both Harris and MW and think they are both great soaps. I would say the Harris lathers slightly better/easier, but the MW soap has a great face feel post-shave due to the shea butter. I try to avoid lanolin soaps as they make me break out and seem to be a bit harder to dial in. Both Harris and MW will continue to be a part of my den.

2 102