07-29-2013, 05:30 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
On a whim, I stopped off at a local flea market and bought a NOS GEM MMOC. Since my only experience with a SE thus far has been with a Cobra Classic what am I in for? And keeping in mind that I don't know crap from apple butter when it comes to SEs what blade do I use?
[Image: a1sNtqt.jpg]

27 860
 07-29-2013, 05:40 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Most pharmacy,s sell the GEM SE blades which will be O.K. to start and if you like the razor you can order Stainless coated blades from Ted Pella or most shaver sites.Note instruction to hold flat against face.

6 1,913
 07-29-2013, 05:46 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
(07-29-2013, 05:40 PM)Harvey Wrote: Most pharmacy,s sell the GEM SE blades which will be O.K. to start and if you like the razor you can order Stainless coated blades from Ted Pella or most shaver sites.Note instruction to hold flat against face.

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad you mentioned that flat thing because I forgot to ask that; ie., which part is flat? Is it that the top plate is tight towards the cheek?

27 860
 07-29-2013, 05:49 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Just make sure the blades you chooses are for shaving. Not scraping old paint. YOU WILL NOT FIND shaving blades in a hardware store or Home Depot!!! I like the "GEM by Personna" Stainless Steel from Walgreens. They will have "STAINLESS" stamped on the spine. If you go with Carbon Steel blades i.e. "GEM Blue Star" or "Treet" (found in many drug stores CVS included), they will have "009" stamped on the spine. The carbon blades will rust if you don't dry them well after the shave.

And YES flat against face means the top of the razor. For under the nose they recommend more of an XTG stroke.

As far as the OCMM remember that it is an AGGRESSIVE razor. NO PRESSURE here. If that's what you like you will enjoy your OCMM. For a milder shave from a SE try a GEM Featherweight. Myself I have tamed the OCMM. My 1st shave with one was a bloodletting...lol I do enjoy that smart sharp shave from time to time so my OCMM is still in the front row. ENJOY. Perhaps you are on the way to becoming a LOSER... We are always looking for new conscripts....

5 1,151
 07-29-2013, 05:53 PM
User Info
Oscar, congratulations on the new razor!
You might want to watch this video as it is very helpful. Good luck.

75 20,883
 07-29-2013, 06:18 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Thanks Sav and Celestino. Great guidance. If my face survives my SE exploration, I may be the newest LOSER conscript.

27 860
 07-29-2013, 06:19 PM
User Info
Celestino, thank you for beating me to it with the link to Mr. Guy's instructional video. It's everything you need to get started. Best of luck! The OCMM is one of my very favorite razors.

47 1,270
 07-29-2013, 08:08 PM
User Info
Good luck, Oscar, and no worries, Tom! It was my pleasure. Biggrin

75 20,883
 07-29-2013, 09:07 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Very Nice instructional video for the Gem OCMM.

1 819
 07-29-2013, 09:28 PM
User Info
The OCMM is a fantastic razor. From what I've read I'm guessing that if you can handle the Cobra the OCMM won't be a problem, just remember its aggressive efficiency.

BTW, I find that flat against the face is only close. I actually like a slightly steeper angle than that. Just slightly. Shave by sound and you'll have it. You'll know what I mean. BTW, that works for all the vintage razors that use spineback blades... shave by sound.

I hope you enjoy your shave!

32 6,308
 07-30-2013, 05:59 AM
User Info
I picked an OCMM at an antique store a couple weeks ago and took to it right away. I was nice and cautious and it paid off with a great smooth shave.

10 2,062
 07-30-2013, 07:20 AM
User Info
(07-29-2013, 09:28 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: The OCMM is a fantastic razor. From what I've read I'm guessing that if you can handle the Cobra the OCMM won't be a problem, just remember its aggressive efficiency.

BTW, I find that flat against the face is only close. I actually like a slightly steeper angle than that. Just slightly. Shave by sound and you'll have it. You'll know what I mean. BTW, that works for all the vintage razors that use spineback blades... shave by sound.

I hope you enjoy your shave!

Good point, I do the same.

47 1,270
 07-30-2013, 07:40 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Sound advice, thanks Brian and Tom. Next item on my agenda, start referring to the razor as "OCMM" rather than "MMOC"....got it.

27 860
 05-17-2014, 08:37 PM
User Info
I'm a neebie & I was wondering if anyone knows when the next shipment of Cobra Classics will be in stock?Can anyone send me in the direction of which blades to purchase.I've be shaving for over 50 years,I have a very heavy beard,I just returned to shaving with a DE 2 months ago after a 30 year w break.I'm using a Feathers DE razor & DE blades.I al;so use a Gilette fat boy with feather blades.This was a little back round info to help with a blade recommendation.

Forgot to mention I use soap creams & Rooney-Thater & Vulfix brushes.

20 441