07-30-2013, 02:59 AM
User Info
Hi lads,can I please start a thread about LUCK or the LACK of it,WHAT is the LUCKIEST or UNLUCKIEST thing that has ever happened to you.
I hope we hear some good stories.
Sam.

0 79
 07-30-2013, 06:19 AM
User Info
Some relatives used to sit at the annual convention each year with the same couple from Washington state. One year the other couple were bemoaning that their son had dropped out of college - out of Harvard - to try his hand at a computer company. These relatives of mine tried their best to reassure the couple but they were not at all sure this was a good thing for their son. Worse, he had teamed up with some other guy they did not even know. One year turns into another and the company had taken off. The company is still with us. It is Microsoft and these were Bill Gates' folks at the table. True story. The chance of a lifetime to invest at the beginning and ... no luck.

6 323
 07-30-2013, 07:14 AM
User Info
I was unlucky enough to become infected with polio when I was 6 years old. I was hospitalized for almost a year, paralyzed for part of that time, and had to learn to walk all over again. However, I was also extraordinarily lucky in that my recovery was nearly complete, while others less fortunate ended up in iron lungs or wheelchairs.

184 12,003
 07-30-2013, 07:18 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I feel that I was lucky to have my bypass as a choice instead of having a major heat attack. I know that God was watching over me.

1 3,507
 07-30-2013, 11:19 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I'm happy that I didn't listen to my practical side one time and it turned out to be the luckiest decision I have made.

I had a good teaching position and good friends in Toledo, Ohio. However, for years I had dreamed about moving to San Francisco. A friend of mine in Toledo decided to pull up stakes and move to San Diego. I had been to San Diego just once but enjoyed it. I thought if my friend could do it then so could I.

Of course, it wasn't that easy because I kept going back and forth on the idea. Then, without thinking any more about it because I was driving myself crazy, I walked into my principal's office and gave my two weeks' notice. It was the scariest thing I had ever done as I am most definitely not the free spirit type.

I moved to San Diego with no job and teaching jobs there were in short supply. Indeed, substitute teachers weren't even really needed but luckily I moved to California with a California teaching credential in hand. I had to substitute for three years but I did it. I was eventually given a contract and have lived here ever since.

As I said, San Francisco was my first choice but, again luckily, I ended up in a place I have been incredibly happy in for thirty-eight years. I consider myself so lucky to have made what I thought was a rash decision all those years ago. Smile

2 11,211
 07-30-2013, 12:00 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
I had wonderful parents, a good home life, a great kid for a son, have never gone hungry, had a roof over my head, good friends, lots of opportunities, survived some close calls,
took a lickin', still tickin'. there has been some luck there, many of these things are certainly not of one's own making. sometimes I have done some really dumb things, and came out smelling like a rose. charmed existence ? or luck of the draw ? some of both ?

0 1,291
 07-31-2013, 04:58 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The bad luck of children becoming very ill with cancer,etc. I feel for them and their parents.

100 12,445
 07-31-2013, 05:21 AM
  • texquill
  • Olver Warbucks
  • Richardson - DFW area of Texas
User Info
Wow - I am SO lucky and can't pick out just one thing to illustrate why I feel so fortunate! I have a wonderful and supportive wife who has been my best friend during our 45 year marriage, two great kids who both graduated from college with honors, and 4 wonderful grandsons. I was able to get a decent education (MBA and CPA). I still enjoy going to work, my wife and I (and sometimes the rest of our family) travel often to great new places, and, at almost age 70, I'm in good enough health to still be able to do what I want.

I have an excellent spiritual life (mainstream Christian religion) and I am further blessed with good friends and a close and loving extended family.

I know this is luck, rather than good planning, because I've relied primarily on serendipity to make it all happen!

30 237