07-30-2013, 05:21 AM
User Info
Like many newbies who may overdue it from time to time, I had acquired a nice hot patch of weepers last week after my first attempt at shaving with a straight. Additionally, sometimes a new shaver is overwhelmed with all the blades that he wants to try and he ends up perhaps shaving too much or incorrectly.

After giving my face a few days to rest, I was still left with some irritation on my neck that prevents me from shaving that area. Last night, I stumbled upon what I believe to be a possible remedy. Before I share my discovery I want to be clear that this is working for me and it may not work for you.

Frustrated that my neck was still irritated, I applied a good amount of Bag Balm to the affected area before bed. This morning, I was very pleased to see a 75% reduction in irritation in that area. For those who may not know what Bag Balm is, it is a heavy balm "made in Vermont for over 100 years. It's a time-tested solution for soothing and softening chapped and chafed skin, as well as promoting healing of cuts and scrapes." (From the web site).

After reading this thread, some of you may be thinking "Yeah, I already knew that". But, I just wanted to share my personal epiphany with others who may be suffering from a heavy dose of blade burn.

Regards,

Frank

2 229
 07-30-2013, 06:54 AM
User Info
I never thought of using Bag Balm for shaving irritation. That is a great idea!

6 122
 07-30-2013, 07:11 AM
User Info
There was concern in the past about mercury in Bag Balm, but apparently it no longer is listed in the ingredients. Still, it probably would be wise not to use an old container of the balm.

184 12,003
 07-30-2013, 09:45 AM
User Info
(07-30-2013, 07:11 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: There was concern in the past about mercury in Bag Balm, but apparently it no longer is listed in the ingredients. Still, it probably would be wise not to use an old container of the balm.

That is correct. The balm that I use/used is the new formula that I purchased only months ago and it contains no mercury.

Frank

2 229
 07-31-2013, 01:19 AM
User Info
Update: This morning after applying the balm overnight again, I am confident that I will be able to shave once again in that area tonight after a shower.

The redness and swelling is almost all but gone now and for me, this is a major improvement after having waited days before applying the balm after seeing no results. I expect to have the area fully healed in the 48 hours that the balm was first applied.

I don't expect this to be a regular occurrence or use of the balm because I've given up on what caused this. This was a one time damage control measure when time and a break from shaving was not working to heal things up. I'll go back to regular DE shaving and be happy.

Hope this has helped another person out.

Frank

2 229
 07-31-2013, 12:01 PM
User Info
Last update. The skin on my neck is completely healed and shave ready now. I never thought that Bag Balm would work this fast or really at all. I wouldn't recommend applying it for use while awake as it attracts everything.

Applying it at bedtime worked the best for me.

Happy shaving! Smile

Frank

2 229