07-30-2013, 02:16 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Good Afternoon All!

I am in search of an excellent beef pie recipe. My main source of recipies is allrecipies.com, but they don't have what I'm looking for. I came accross this one, but I have never used ale in cooking, so I honestly don't know how it will turn out: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/25260...shroom-pie

Mushrooms are fine to add, I just really can't handle additions like kidneys (sorry...I had bad experiences being fed liver as a kid). Any recommendations would be great!

Thanks!

1 608
 07-30-2013, 02:37 PM
User Info
Hi Luke,speaking as a Brit who has eaten more beef pies than you can shake a stick at,I would say that the recipe you have is fine,although like you I have NEVER been a fan of steak and kidney pie,so just lose the kidney part of it,also the addition of the bacon is new to me,so I can't give a view on that,but as I said I have NEVER heard of bacon in a beef pie.
As regards the beer,any type of dark beer should work,that includes Guinness, you can also use my "hometown" brew Newcastle Brown Ale,it's widely available over your way.
About your dislike of liver,I'm having liver and onions tomorrow night,lovely stuff,served with chips,very good for you as well.
Good luck with the pie,you'll enjoy it.Good British "nosebag",there's nothing finer.
Sam.

0 79
 07-30-2013, 03:42 PM
User Info
That recipe should be fine. Use any good Stout, Porter, or Brown Ale. It is simply capitalizing the "S" in savory.

I too prefer the basic Beef Pie to the kidney business.

6 1,224
 07-31-2013, 04:59 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Looks fabulous. My favorite is Shepard's Pie.

100 12,447
 07-31-2013, 06:00 AM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Thanks for the replies. Since it suggests making the pastry a few days ahead, I'll start on it today. Ill modify the recipe as needed too, and get back to you on the results!

1 608
 08-01-2013, 01:25 AM
User Info
In Australia meat pies are traditionally eaten at football games

Sploshed with copious amounts of tomato sauce (watery tomato ketchup)

0 21
 08-01-2013, 02:29 AM
User Info
I forgot to add,I don't think you can have TOO many onions,shovel them in.
Sam.

0 79
 08-01-2013, 08:19 AM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Thanks guys! Sam, I just picked up some Newcastle Ale last night (first time in a beer store O_o). After talking to my brother who's a chef, and my sister who has a "knowledge" of alcohol...I decided to go with the Newcastle. I'm absolutely stoked to have the pie tomorrow! I'll deffinately let you know how it turned out.

1 608
 08-01-2013, 09:31 AM
User Info
Luke, put the "dog" in the fridge,not a real dog by the way,"dog" is the nickname in Newcastle for Newcastle Brown Ale,any that you don't put in the pie,put into a glass and enjoy COLD.
Sam.

0 79
 08-02-2013, 07:36 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Well, it took a few hours (cooking, etc), but I got the pie made, and man was it EVER GOOD! I can honestly say I have never tasted anything like it before; it was absolutely fantastic. My sister-in-law was over and exited to have some. Me, my wife, my sis-in-law, and my oldest girl pretty much licked out bowls clean. Only my middle child didn't like it (she doesn't really like anything but pasta). I'm looking forward to finishing off the pack of ale I got by making more delicious dinners!

Thanks Sam for recommending Newcastle Brown! Smile

1 608
 08-02-2013, 07:47 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Luke, I'm glad it turned out so good for you. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 08-03-2013, 01:27 AM
User Info
Luke,it's NOT just the ingredients that make a good meal,it's the person doing the spade work, (you) you're the main reason it came out so well.Minced beef (I think you call it "ground beef") also makes good pies,just remember to use plenty of onions.Mushy peas are also a firm favourite when eating diced steak, or minced beef pies over here,but I think you might struggle to find any tinned mushy peas over in Canada.But you can always make your own,just Google "traditional mushy peas" recipe,whatever you do IGNORE any sites saying use frozen or fresh peas,you HAVE to use DRIED marrowfat peas.
I'll have you speaking with a British accent in no time.
Good luck.
Sam.

0 79
 08-03-2013, 10:45 AM
  • freddy
User Info
(08-03-2013, 01:27 AM)geordie sam Wrote: Luke,it's NOT just the ingredients that make a good meal,it's the person doing the spade work, (you) you're the main reason it came out so well.Minced beef (I think you call it "ground beef") also makes good pies,just remember to use plenty of onions.Mushy peas are also a firm favourite when eating diced steak, or minced beef pies over here,but I think you might struggle to find any tinned mushy peas over in Canada.But you can always make your own,just Google "traditional mushy peas" recipe,whatever you do IGNORE any sites saying use frozen or fresh peas,you HAVE to use DRIED marrowfat peas.
I'll have you speaking with a British accent in no time.
Good luck.
Sam.

Sam, if I ever do make it to Newcastle again then you are going to have to teach me to like mushy peas. I have tried but just do not care for them. What is the secret to liking them?

Of course for me, the only way to eat peas is to pick a fresh pod right off the vine, zip the pod open, and eat the peas right out of it. Unfortunately, I have only had the opportunity to do that but a few times in my life. Sad

I do agree with you that the final pie had as much or more to do with Luke as it did with the ingredients.

2 11,211
 08-03-2013, 02:41 PM
User Info
Freddy,it's a northern England,(I believe the Scots eat them as well) working class "thing",we are brought up on them,you can also have them with fish and chips.
You rarely get them in the south of England,if you asked for them in London they would look at you as if you were from Mars, I doubt very much the Queen has ever had them,but then the Queen has probably never had fish and chips,the poor woman.
Sam.

0 79
 08-03-2013, 03:27 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(08-03-2013, 02:41 PM)geordie sam Wrote: Freddy,it's a northern England,(I believe the Scots eat them as well) working class "thing",we are brought up on them,you can also have them with fish and chips.
You rarely get them in the south of England,if you asked for them in London they would look at you as if you were from Mars, I doubt very much the Queen has ever had them,but then the Queen has probably never had fish and chips,the poor woman.
Sam.

Yup.

2 11,211
 08-03-2013, 04:28 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
I realized there was no photo of it! Here's a piece of the pie. I changed the recipe a little...I left out the bacon and mushrooms, only added 1 large onion (big mistake, should have put one or two more in), and added a turnip.

[Image: e8e4umyb.jpg]

1 608
 08-04-2013, 01:26 AM
User Info
That looks like it should have stamped on it "MADE IN ENGLAND",it looks PERFECT,well done Luke.For the "crimping" round the edges,if you can't find a fork you can always use Grandma's false teeth.
Sam.

0 79
 08-05-2013, 12:10 PM
User Info
Very nice Luke, but I would have left the mushrooms and bacon in the recipe, and could have done without turnip.

But would I turn it down? Lets just say it's almost dinner time and that REALLY does look good.

2 546
 08-06-2013, 01:28 PM
User Info
(07-31-2013, 04:59 AM)slantman Wrote: Looks fabulous. My favorite is Shepard's Pie.

Very hard to beat my ex Mother in laws shepards pie !! A treat any time of year Smile

6 1,224
 08-06-2013, 01:57 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
(07-31-2013, 04:59 AM)slantman Wrote: Looks fabulous. My favorite is Shepard's Pie.

Shepard's Pie is a staple in my house. We all (except for my 3 year old) absolutely love it! Biggrin

(08-05-2013, 12:10 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: Very nice Luke, but I would have left the mushrooms and bacon in the recipe, and could have done without turnip.

But would I turn it down? Lets just say it's almost dinner time and that REALLY does look good.

I took out the mushrooms because I really dislike mushrooms, that's the reason for them, and the bacon would have been good, but I just wanted to have the pie stripped down to it's basics. (I had to throw the turnip in, in honor of my grandfather who grew up working the docks in South Shields [Tyne and Wear]...he would always snack on them...raw).

There are a few changes I would still make to the recipe, but it is a keeper! Though...I enjoy making and eating Scotch Pies more! Wink

1 608