04-16-2012, 02:17 PM
User Info
This particular razor seems to get very little press. I had tried to get a bit of feedback on this razor when posting on a different forum. The responses were few and far between.

This is a razor that I've come to use as one of my favorites. I reach for it as often as any razor I have. The stainless finish is not only quite striking but also eliminates a lot of surface area where chrome plating problems become a concern over time. It definitely has the feel of a quality tool. There is no knurling but the bulbous handle makes it easy to hold.

I've just recently purchased one for my son. He had expressed some concern about beginning the use of a DE. His concerns center around nicks, cuts and his fair complexion. He has sensitive skin and gets ingrown hairs easily.

I have found this razor to be a fairly easy shaving piece. I feel that it is mild enough that I don't believe he'll get discouraged while getting started. For those with large hands or any who prefer a longer, heavier razor, I believe it to be a very good choice.

The weight of the 43C is significant (some may not appreciate this) and though a mild shaver will cut through a tough beard with ease. It gives you the sensation that you just have to hold it against the skin and let it glide on down. Anyway that's been my take on it. I would be interested in reading others comments from those who might have used it. I think this one has been overlooked by many.

0 145
 04-16-2012, 03:13 PM
User Info
The 15C is one I don't hear about either. I only own three Merkur models, but I have two 500s (the Progress, one Mergress XL and one Cooncat Bob) and a 37C and a 933CL travel. All are excellent.

3 195
 04-16-2012, 03:42 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I haven't had the pleasure to try this particular razor since I shifted to more aggressive heads long ago. I do own a few other Merkurs and think it would be a good choice for a new DE shaver. Nice balance of easy to use and effective. Enjoy!

35 2,703
 04-16-2012, 03:45 PM
User Info
I too, like Merkur's. They do or have seen to have gotten some bad press at times. Most of the negative comments that I have seen refer to the chrome plating flaking. I've never had or seen issues with it but apparently others have. I will admit that their machine work isn't quite as nice as Muhle's or EJ's for instance. The lower plate seems to show machining or casting marks on the side edges. Muhle's is as flat as a glass plate and beautifully plated.

I own at least one razor from most of the the recognized brand names. I couldn't make an across the board negative comment about any of these products. This includes the Parker which seems to get a lot of negative comments. That said, I really like my Merkurs and I really dig the 43C. I'm interested to see if anyone else actually owns one of these. Tongue

(04-16-2012, 03:42 PM)texbilly Wrote: I haven't had the pleasure to try this particular razor since I shifted to more aggressive heads long ago. I do own a few other Merkurs and think it would be a good choice for a new DE shaver. Nice balance of easy to use and effective. Enjoy!

I think the most important factor in determining whether or not a user would enjoy this razor would be someone that likes a bit of heft in their hand. This would be true whether they are just being introduced to DE shaving or are experienced in the practice. If a shaver likes a bit of weight they would probably like this razor. I think it feels very similar to holding a Muhle R89 Grande.

0 145
 04-17-2012, 06:50 AM
User Info
There have been a good number of views on this thread but few responses. I think this pretty well confirms my suspicions. I don't think there are a ton of 43C owners.

0 145
 04-17-2012, 08:28 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(04-17-2012, 06:50 AM)GearHead_1 Wrote: There have been a good number of views on this thread but few responses. I think this pretty well confirms my suspicions. I don't think there are a ton of 43C owners.
honestly, I had to internet-search it just to see what it looked like!

The handle looks slippery- how does it grip?

Handle looks nice, very bulbous- how is the balance?

I noticed the full razor weight was listed as 143g - is that correct?

Is it a 3-piece?

just curious, now that you brought up a Merkur model I hadn't seen much of Wink

9 1,684
 04-17-2012, 10:00 AM
User Info
(04-17-2012, 08:28 AM)gijames Wrote: honestly, I had to internet-search it just to see what it looked like!

The handle looks slippery- how does it grip?

Handle looks nice, very bulbous- how is the balance?

I noticed the full razor weight was listed as 143g - is that correct?

Is it a 3-piece?

just curious, now that you brought up a Merkur model I hadn't seen much of Wink

As I mentioned in the original post. It looks like it would be slippery but the bulbous handle makes it very easy to hold. The balance is awesome but in saying this once again, I like a heavy razor. I'm sure others would not appreciate the weight of this razor. I believe it's actually 147 grams, over 5 ounces. It's a Merkur style 2 piece razor.

0 145
 04-17-2012, 12:35 PM
User Info
i have never tried one, but have had others; the 39C Sledgehammer, very nice, heavy razor, but irritated my neck.
i had the 37C Slant and i also had the plating start to flake under the head plate.
The 43C looks great and i hope you enjoy.

75 20,883
 04-26-2012, 04:05 PM
User Info
I thought I'd throw a last ditch post out on this thread before it disappears into thread oblivion. I believe this razor is an undiscovered gem. I'll simply say that this razor is a very competent piece that deserves a look from those who might appreciate a heavy razor. The stainless handle is a bonus. It's a great face tool that leans towards the mild shave. I would highly recommend the Merkur 43C.

I'll bring this up again in a year assuming it's still on Merkur's product list. Biggrin

0 145
 04-26-2012, 04:22 PM
User Info
Never tried that one. My everyday razor is the 42C "1904"...I think Merkur makes a great razor, and I will use them as long as they make them!

1 223